Lagerhead

You gotta be kidding me!

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

On 5/11/2021 at 11:08 AM, Lagerhead said:

Party boats trolling in Raritan bay.

Never saw that before. It’s getting out of hand.

On 5/11/2021 at 11:20 AM, joefishnj21 said:

really.. never seen that before. had to be very few on the boat im assuming?

What the…?

we did that out of fort lauderdale.  only 5 fairs aboard.  put out a spread with 4 lines. caught a bunch of mahi.  we all just kept the train going around to the four rods so we all caught.

23 mins ago, fishless said:

a logistics questions, how do you troll on a party boat. 

Probably not applicable here, but on a canyon yellowfin trip I went on you are assigned a number. The numbers rotate through the 6 rod (boat owned) spread in 10 minute intervals. With 25 fares on board it also meant you were just watching for over 75% of the time. If a rod went off the boat would supposedly slow down and you could jig while the fish was being brought in. I say supposedly because my trip had zero hookups trolling. 

I'd guess in the OP's instance the fares would get divided into teams with as many fisherman as could effectively troll, and then the teams would rotate every XX minutes.

Bass are lackluster fighters on decently light gear, with big fish putting on a show for 30 seconds - maybe a minute.  When you troll a fish the first 15-30 seconds the fish is just being dragged by the boat so you can maybe slow down/stop, then you get to finish off the fight with leadcore line reeling in a fully exhausted wet sock of a fish.  Sign me up.

2 mins ago, Eagles Dare said:

Probably not applicable here, but on a canyon yellowfin trip I went on you are assigned a number. The numbers rotate through the 6 rod (boat owned) spread in 10 minute intervals. With 25 fares on board it also meant you were just watching for over 75% of the time. If a rod went off the boat would supposedly slow down and you could jig while the fish was being brought in. I say supposedly because my trip had zero hookups trolling. 

I'd guess in the OP's instance the fares would get divided into teams with as many fisherman as could effectively troll, and then the teams would rotate every XX minutes.

Mix in the fares with their cooler full or beer and it sounds like that would be a real chit show.