Richard_the_Aughth

swimming across the canal

Rate this topic

50 posts in this topic

I was talking to my friend the other day and he believes he can swim across the canal, while I told him he would probably die. Just to clarify, he is not planning to try; this was just a hypothetical discussion. He believes that with the following points, he would be able to make it across.

1. Swimming with the current

2. No boats around while attempting to cross it

3. Summer time so he wont die of hypothermia before getting to the other side

His reasoning was that the canal is 7 miles long, but not that wide, so swimming with the current you only need to make slow progress across it to reach the other side. Any thoughts on this idea? Once again, no one is going to try this, and even if some people think it is possible, no one is recommending anyone try to do this

1 min ago, Richard_the_Aughth said:

I was talking to my friend the other day and he believes he can swim across the canal, while I told him he would probably die. Just to clarify, he is not planning to try; this was just a hypothetical discussion.

Deer successfully swim across the canal. I'm sure an experienced human swimmer could. One could make their swim a lot easier, and quicker, by doing it around slack. The canal isn't that wide, to swim, when the current isn't ripping.

All I can think about is Bubba’s momma asking Forest Gump “are ya’ stupid or something?”

No F’ing way should this be done because the current and troughs are too unpredictable. I’ve seen someone jump in from a boat due to a mechanical problem and he had a hard time. 

Bad bad idea!

9 mins ago, heyblue34 said:

All I can think about is Bubba’s momma asking Forest Gump “are ya’ stupid or something?”

No F’ing way should this be done because the current and troughs are too unpredictable. I’ve seen someone jump in from a boat due to a mechanical problem and he had a hard time. 

Bad bad idea!

Never said it was a good idea. The question was if its possible

1 min ago, Richard_the_Aughth said:

Too unpredictable 

13 mins ago, Richard_the_Aughth said:

It's possible to close your eyes, run across Rt 93, and reach the other side ailve.

1 min ago, ermghoti said:

It's possible to close your eyes, run across Rt 93, and reach the other side ailve.

Good point, let the deer swim it. Although at slack water its not that far, 700 ft,.?

My wife and buddy pulled 2 inexperienced scuba divers that started in front of Horizons and ended up near pole 20 mainland side. Current pulled them in from beyond the jetty. They came across the surface, with BC's inflated and of course had fins on. 

To answer the OP, not only would it be possible it would be fairly easy. Biggest concern would be the boat traffic. Can you imagine being halfway across and then seeing one of the "Leader" ships bearing down on you?

Begin at low slack at the RR Bridge.

Some stats say an average swimmer can do 50 meters in 60 seconds.....100 yards in 2 minutes.

It can be done, but you'll be spotted and hauled out by ACOE.

54 mins ago, ermghoti said:

I just spit out my coffee laughing and I wasn't even drinking any!!

56 mins ago, ermghoti said:

Exactly, and if you pick the right time, say 2:00 am on a Tuesday-Thursday, your chances get even better.

9 mins ago, FishermanTim said:

Exactly, and if you pick the right time, say 2:00 am on a Tuesday-Thursday, your chances get even better.

So you're saying there's a chance...