Mr. Bigdeal

Shipping a 9'0 1pc. rod....

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

That’s probably going to be expensive man.

I would pickup a pvc pipe @ Depot or Lowe’s. Either glue caps on the ends, or use duct tape.

Ups or fedex it would have to go, I can’t imagine what USPS would charge. USPS quoted me $30+ A few days ago for a small box that weighed about a pound to ship from NJ to CA. I was like wtf? Luckily one of their flat rate boxes just fit what I needed To ship for $15. 

Even so UPS of Fedex Will be far cheaper than usps, but it’s still gonna be costly @ 9ft+. Curious to what they quote you.

In my experience, USPS is generally the least expensive for shipping rods but a 9-footer is over their size limit, which is 108" length + girth.

32 mins ago, husonfirst said:

In my experience, USPS is generally the least expensive for shipping rods but a 9-footer is over their size limit, which is 108" length + girth.

Just yesterday, I shipped a two-piece rod in a 79" tube, and the guy measured it three times to make sure it wasn't too long. 

Anything over 8 feet, I'd forget about it. Seriously. 

When I owned my old company I could get UPS to handle 12.4" x 4" diameter cardboard tubes with moldings for about $22-$30 for weights under 15 lbs. I believe the service is still available. You would need to drop at there drop offices. 9' plus diameter should be no problem

Cost of shipping oversize items over 108" is going to be close to $200. Tackle Industries is replacing all of their 1pc 9'+ blanks and rods with telescopic models for this reason and this reason alone. 

In 2021 there's no need for a 1pc rod unless the company you're buying from just has absolutely no idea how ferrules work.

45 mins ago, RedGreen said:

Cost of shipping oversize items over 108" is going to be close to $200. Tackle Industries is replacing all of their 1pc 9'+ blanks and rods with telescopic models for this reason and this reason alone. 

In 2021 there's no need for a 1pc rod unless the company you're buying from just has absolutely no idea how ferrules work.

many are going shorter so they can add padding in the shipping tubes.

1 hour ago, RedGreen said:

I actually prefer a 1 pc. rod.....there's alwaays that chance of the rod coming apart at the worst moment....had that a few in years past.

35 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

many are going shorter so they can add padding in the shipping tubes.

A 12' cardboard carpet tube is free at carpet stores( they want them gone) and the rod can be wrapped with scrap carpet pad :point:

108" is the UPS limit before the price tag goes into the stratosphere...  for the same money you could buy and ship a 2pc.  Personally, I'd go shopping for a 2pc ...

1 hour ago, RAW said:

A 12' cardboard carpet tube is free at carpet stores( they want them gone) and the rod can be wrapped with scrap carpet pad :point:

???

Have you seen prices on shipping individual rods over 108" 

We're talking shipping prices not packaging materials :)