Sporto10003

Fly Fish Salt Water

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Like to catch a Striper on the fly rod from the Surf.  Will have it in the car this summer and if the wind isn't blowing too hard or not in my face will try.  I have a 9Wt 11 foot rod but not sure I have enough line?  Its a floating line and last time I tried it I ran out of line catching a cocktail blue which didn't even run just went crazy.  So how much line do I need on ?

Hi Sporto. If you are running out of line on a 9 weight with a cocktail blue you are definitely doing something wrong. Does your reel have any drag setting? If so, you need to crank it down. If not, and that's okay when getting started, you will need to learn how to palm the spool to apply tension/pressure. Do you have backing on your reel? Fly fishers will vary with how much they think they need, but most of us fly fishing inshore for bass, blues, fluke, albies are fishing 100(ish) yards of braided backing. Even still, small bluefish, school bass, and fluke really shouldn't be taking you into your backing if you are applying appropriate pressure. 

Can you share more about your outfit and circumstances? 

Your both correct !  No backing just fly line and no drag set.  I'm used to catching trout and only use my hands to bring in the fish.  So, I'll tighten up the drag and use what 20 Ilb braid that I use on my surf spinning reel as the backing ?   If I go with 100 yards of that how much floating fly line do I need ?    Nail knot to connect the lines I would think.

1 min ago, Sporto10003 said:

Your both correct !  No backing just fly line and no drag set.  I'm used to catching trout and only use my hands to bring in the fish.  So, I'll tighten up the drag and use what 20 Ilb braid that I use on my surf spinning reel as the backing ?   If I go with 100 yards of that how much floating fly line do I need ?    Nail knot to connect the lines I would think.

Using 20# is very thin and can cut you.I use 30# dacron backing on everything.Your reel paperwork will tell you what amount of backing will fill to the proper amount.Others will chime in on "their" backing.But that's what I've used for decades.Tell us what reel you are using and we can help with that.

5 mins ago, Sporto10003 said:

Depends on the reel. An 11 foot 9wt fly rod? That's a beast ... is it a Switch rod? What is the reel you are using? A sizable Bluefish ... say 10 to 15 lbs fish could run for a hundred yards under the right conditions (I know this from experiencing it). So yeah ... you need some backing. 

Yes, 30# braided dacron as backing will be easier to manage. Lots of connection options - backing to spool --> backing to fly line --> fly line to mono butt section --> butt section to leader.........reinforced nail knots, loop to loop systems, etc. 

28 mins ago, Sporto10003 said:

If I go with 100 yards of that how much floating fly line do I need ?

Don't cut your fly line - use the whole thing.  If it's a Double Taper Floating line (it will be labeled "DT9F" - I'm assuming since your rod is a 9 wt, the line you're using is as well, though it may not be), then it means both ends are thicker than the middle section, and you'll be able to reverse it once the "working end" gets worn.  If it's a Weight Forward Floating line (it will be labeled "WF9F"), then only the "working end" has the thicker taper, and you could cut some of the back end if you really needed to, but I doubt there's a good reason to do so.  Whatever backing you're able to fit in addition to the full fly line should be sufficient.

The simple answer to “how much backing do I need” is “enough to fill up the reel”.  Many will not have the patience to do this, but what I do is wind the line onto the reel in reverse.  Then I attach backing to the line and wind the backing on until the reel is full.  (A little less, actually.)  Then take everything off and put the line and backing on the reel in the right order.  (This is a little tricky if you don’t have something to help you do it.)

Do you have a fly shop near by? Bring in the reel and have them add the backing for you, they'll put the right amount on it and get the line all connected for you. You want it to fill up the reel, you'll get less coil memory and a slightly quicker retrieve.

For salt, my local shop recommended to use a double bimini on the end of the backing and a standard loop to loop connection to the fly line. 

I ended up going with Hatch backing on mine. I use a Tibor Everglades for a 9wt setup. The reel is a little on the small side to fit a decent amount of backing along with a 9wt fly line. The Hatch gave me 250yds of backing just in case I get into some albies in the fall.

For striper you don't need 250yds of backing, they're not going to run like that. They fight but they usually don't take much, if anything...

I know some people use floating line in the surf zone, but I find it useful to sink my line below the incoming waves to minimize the pushback. You can't feel a strike if your line isn't tight. I use Type III line (sinks at 3 IPS), sometimes with a head that sinks faster, and I push my rod tip below the surface as I strip my fly. One of the lines most often mentioned on here is the Rio Outbound Short, recently discontinued. I like the Airflo 40+ Sniper myself. You're asking the right questions... just keep asking. 

I use 50 pound braid on everything.  Never had a problem with braid --it does not burn your fingers like Dacron and I have never been cut by it.

I pinch the backing to rod grip to get a quick shot of extra pressure --no problems.  Either works but for us it is braid  

2 hours ago, bhorsley said:

I use 50 pound braid on everything.  Never had a problem with braid --it does not burn your fingers like Dacron and I have never been cut by it.

I pinch the backing to rod grip to get a quick shot of extra pressure --no problems.  Either works but for us it is braid  

This. Learn how to properly fight a fish and you won't get cut by using braid for backing. Its ain't rocket science. When a fish is running let your reel do its job and keep your hands off the line....lol

8 mins ago, ifsteve said:

This. Learn how to properly fight a fish and you won't get cut by using braid for backing. Its ain't rocket science. When a fish is running let your reel do its job and keep your hands off the line....lol

nope

being able to add a touch more pressure quickly is a key in fighting big fish.  It works for me and has worked for many years