foxfai

Picking days to fish

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Picking 2 days to fish, both days are very similar but day #1 being double the wind as #2. Low tide for day #1 is at 8:30am and 45 min after for day #2.

This spot faces northwest which means both days will be blowing straight on. Day #1 calling for 10-15mph and day #2 calls for 5-10.

Would you pick #2 than #1? 

Posted (edited) · Report post

In a particular spot you might get the sense of what wind conditions are best over time, but there isn't some universal "best wind". We really can't say based on the info provided. We don't know for instance if you're fishing a bay, jetty, sandy beach etc. The tide info doesn't mean anything either. Are you fishing at 1am or planning to be there at 8:30am? Some places are unfishable at low tide, other places fish better than at high tide. Even if you did give all the info no one can definitively say which is best unless they have a lot of experience in the spot. Go both days if you can. If not pick one, try to make note of what you learn.

I might say for example that as a general rule you probably shouldn't go at 1pm on a bright sunny day if you have other options, but even then I have caught several of my biggest fish in such conditions when the right bait is around. 

Edited by Crabcakes

1. Do I have time to fish? (if yes, continue, if no, end)

2. Are the conditions dangerous (if no, continue, if yes, end)

3. Go fishing!

The best days I had fishing were: 1 howling NE wind raining. 2 Sunny , warm and mild, light wind NW, 3 Cloudy wind from the south.  4 Starry night no moon. 5 Cloudy , rainy night.  6 Sunny day light wind fished in shorts and t-shirt 7 any day I fished with my son or grandsons. Spread over 50 years I am still trying to find a pattern. Fish when you can. Enjoy it whether the fish show up or not.

I think OP means to ask, given the information, which day optimizes his chance of catching. No one obviously can say for sure, but if you had to pick one day based only on what's given, which would you go to?

People are saying fish when you can. I'd be willing to bet these people are not doing much else. For example, I may have 2 days that I can possibly fish. But I also want to spend time with the family or play tennis one one of these days and cannot do both in one day given people's schedule. But the schedule is flexible. I can choose to fish one of these days, so which day has the best chance, given the information. 

I don't personally have the experience to weigh in, but I'd like to hear what others say.

Still, I’m fishing Thursday night because the tide of a perfect, I can sleepwork Friday and sometimes this is the weekend it heats up. I am deliberately choosing the day after tomorrow as the best day to get out. The next best day is Friday. 

18 hours ago, foxfai said:

Picking 2 days to fish, both days are very similar but day #1 being double the wind as #2. Low tide for day #1 is at 8:30am and 45 min after for day #2.

This spot faces northwest which means both days will be blowing straight on. Day #1 calling for 10-15mph and day #2 calls for 5-10.

Would you pick #2 than #1? 

Go both days.