Roccus7

Midcoast Cod C&R: You'd think I was on LI Fluke Fishing

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

Been playing C&R with cod, awaiting the arrival of my striped nemesis, going out 5 times, catching over 50 cod, but only 2 would have been "Keepahs", > 21".

About 3/4 of the fish caught have been less 15" so the optimist in me says "Hey, that's good for the future!!" Then the pessimist in me kicks in, "You're starting to sound like your LI friends and fluke who always say, 'Lots of shorts, but that means next year will be better!'"

Maybe time to go after flatties, and try to catch the elusive winter flounder? Tide is good today, may give it a shot...

Posted (edited) · Report post

Great that you are getting out there.  I'm still a week or so away from splashing the craft.

Yeah,  I love the optimistic "nothing but shorts and that's good for next year"....For stripers I always think about, but once they get big enough, people keep them, and quickly again, nothing but shorts.  The fisherman's dilemma in a thin.. dare I say it....Fishery... 

Good luck on the flatties, you've put in the recon.  As I've been sanding and refitting some long overlooked hardware on the boat, it is perched with a perfect view of my harbor/river.  Lot's of encouraging activity amongst the winged fisherman, which completely slows down my progress as I stare at them.. 

Jim

Edited by jimbighead