PSegnatelli

Nose grommet for tins

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

I'm looking for nose/eye grommet (I think that's what they're called) for tins. Anyone know where to get and what size? 

I'm pretty open to ideas as well. 

Pic for reference. 

20210312_190248~2.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

22 mins ago, Dan Tinman said:

If you had the eyelets do you have a way to swage them in place?

Well...  I have small grommets from some leather projects. And those I swaged with a small ball peen hammer and a block of steel.   

So I figure I can make it work. 

Unless you wanna put a nose grommet into some wobble jigs for a nominal fee:lg_smile:

I bought this mold on Ebay from the Ukraine. 60b2c8ee85e5e_Capture_2021-05-28-05-28-46.png.525d14efd25bc05ea5195c142a0c8e06.png

I'm thinking of modding it to take wire inserts (like your tins), deleting the eye holes  and also thinking of grinding out the keel in the left side pic to go the length of the tin.   

Probably won't get to it till the winter thou. 

I just want a wobbly tin that I can stick a soft plastic on that is 1/2-3/4oz.   And if I can make them myself over the winter, even better. 

Edited by PSegnatelli

Those are interesting looking slab spoons.  I'm gonna have to look for the mold.  Have you tried them yet?  If so how do they swim?  

Putting the eyelets I have in them is no problem except for the right side hole on the top one.  The metal is too thick there.  The eyelets I have are short , like around 1/4".  Some of the Hopkins knock offs I make have the same problem so I have to thin out that area to set them right.  I have a large floor model size foot operated eyelet setter that is ancient.  It's not easy to use.  I get a lot of losses because of the tooling setting too deep and blowing the metal out around the eyelet hole.

Try looking in saddle makers and leather craft supply websites.  There has to be someone that makes the tooling for setting eyelets other than Stimpson.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'm purchase 6mm Eyelets from this guy before, they made of brass.

There is a lot of different sizes of eyelets on eBay.

Edited by TimS
Please don't post links to commercial sites here - thanks

7 hours ago, Dan Tinman said:

Those are interesting looking slab spoons.  I'm gonna have to look for the mold.  Have you tried them yet?  If so how do they swim?  

Putting the eyelets I have in them is no problem except for the right side hole on the top one.  The metal is too thick there.  The eyelets I have are short , like around 1/4".  Some of the Hopkins knock offs I make have the same problem so I have to thin out that area to set them right.  I have a large floor model size foot operated eyelet setter that is ancient.  It's not easy to use.  I get a lot of losses because of the tooling setting too deep and blowing the metal out around the eyelet hole.

Try looking in saddle makers and leather craft supply websites.  There has to be someone that makes the tooling for setting eyelets other than Stimpson.

Haven't got the mold yet.  It's coming from the Ukraine.  

I only got it to mess around with.  It was pretty cheap ($28) so IF it works out. I'll be happy, but if it doesn't it's just the cost of a bottle of rum. 

I could just buy 1/2oz Charlie Graves and be done with it. But what fun is that?

Messed around with it today. 

I think I'm on to something.  

My bench vise has removeable jaws. Held in by 2 10-32 screws.  I got longer screws, put one on each jaw.  And tried pressing a homemade grommet into a hole a i drilled in a tin jig.  (Sorry @Dan Tinman it's a sacrifice for the greater good!)

Worked great! .....except the phillips eye.  The metal drew into it and made a big jagged part.  

Alot of control too. I can go light or really crank.!

I cut the grommet from an old radio antenna and may have cut it too long as well. 

Kinda a PITA to cut tiny tubing so I ordered some of the ebay grommets above.   

Also ordered these...494f9cda-8de4-4682-8743-908ae9fe775f.jpg.c309dd54161a8caa75230753cc6448d6.jpg

Hardware store didn't have them in 10-32.  My plan is to chop the heads off the screws and stick these on. Plus I can file the shape to ajust.  

The mold I posted above came and after staring at it I may just keep it as is.  The eyeholes are 1/8in. So I ordered a 1/8in section of brass tubing to make grommets.  

On 5/29/2021 at 8:45 PM, Dan Tinman said:

There has to be someone that makes the tooling for setting eyelets other than Stimpson.

I have a hand held one, looks like a hole punch...I haven't seen it in a few years, it's in a tote in the shed or garage...I do believe it was originally intended for leather work as you suggested :th: 

Just now, TimS said:

I have a hand held one, looks like a hole punch...I haven't seen it in a few years, it's in a tote in the shed or garage...I do believe it was originally intended for leather work as you suggested :th: 

I have two.  One is a small bench top hand operated type used by saddle makers and the other is a floor model, foot operated.  The one I use most is the foot operated big one.

Putting an eyelet in the holes of a squid or slab spoon is important.  It add strength.  The hole without it can pull out under load.  You just know it'll give way on the fish of a lifetime.