hipkvw

Scott rod warranty...other company questions.

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

I buy most rods from shops but wanted a Scott Tidal. There are a few on Ebay brand new at a cheaper price but because they are from ebay they will not register the rod. Even with a blank warranty card rod still with plastic on the handle. Has to be from a Scott dealer w/in 30 days of purchase. Other companies do this as well? I kind of get it but if the rod is brand new I dont see an issue. 

Yeah. I get that. The guy I want to get it from bought it as a backup on a trip and never used it. Still in plastic. Has original receipt. I emailed Scott to see if they will make an exception. 

16 mins ago, Drew C. said:

Some of the out of warranty policies aren’t all that bad for a replacement section. 

Im just nervous because my A4 Butt section broke 3x now. Scott said it wasn't designed to throw weighted lines. Other people have had similar complaints with different models. 

I waited too long to register a Scott rod.  Once I realized that I panicked.  Called, they said no problem and did it over the phone.

Kind of normal for the higher end brands to be picky about warranty issues.  What is interesting is how some of the downmarket brands don't do this at all.  Best warranty service I've had is from Redington, Echo, and TFO.  No questions asked at least in some cases.  When buying a used rod or a re-seller (eBay etc.) rod from Sage, Scott, Loomis etc. you will likely have problems with warranty service.  Something to consider.

On 11/05/2021 at 1:19 PM, hipkvw said:

Im just nervous because my A4 Butt section broke 3x now. Scott said it wasn't designed to throw weighted lines. Other people have had similar complaints with different models. 

A fly rod casts a line that has mass. It cares  not if the line floats or sinks. So now we have to buy specific rods for floating lines and sinkers. If Scott said the above then the only reasonably reply I can think of is BS. That applies to rods of all line weights.

Strange that a rod has broken three times at the lower end. The most likely reason for this apart from poor materials or workmanship is a loose joint. The fracture is most likely then to be section three rather than the butt itself. That is generally user error.

Looks like rod warranties are going through change and not before time. In the past and it’s only my opinion they were stupidly way too generous. I do not know of any other consumer product where there this a long time fault free warranty.

Mike

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 5/11/2021 at 8:36 AM, Killiefish said:

Kind of normal for the higher end brands to be picky about warranty issues.  What is interesting is how some of the downmarket brands don't do this at all.  Best warranty service I've had is from Redington, Echo, and TFO.  No questions asked at least in some cases.  When buying a used rod or a re-seller (eBay etc.) rod from Sage, Scott, Loomis etc. you will likely have problems with warranty service.  Something to consider.

Agreed.

Buying used Sage’s can be tricky especially with the repair costs now on their classic rods.

Someone on my local board is trying to sell an XP for $500.00. The rod is in great shape, but if you break it you are looking at $175.00 to have it repaired.

The possibility of having $675.00 tied up into a rod that was introduced in 1999 would drive me to just pay a bit more and buy a new higher end rod.....or two or three new TFO, Redington or Echo rods.

SF

Edited by Stonefish

Other than the Scott issue above what the heck are guys doing to break so many rods?

I’m fishing since I’m a kid. I’ve broken 2 surf sticks and 2 or 3 fly rods,  all tip sections. One of those was the same rod twice, loomis imx 10x10. 

I don’t and wouldn’t worry about repair costs when looking at rods based on my experiences. 

38 mins ago, Drew C. said:

Other than the Scott issue above what the heck are guys doing to break so many rods?

I’m fishing since I’m a kid. I’ve broken 2 surf sticks and 2 or 3 fly rods,  all tip sections. One of those was the same rod twice, loomis imx 10x10. 

I don’t and wouldn’t worry about repair costs when looking at rods based on my experiences. 

While I agree with not breaking many rods.... the Scott thing freaks me out as people on IG responded that they had breakage issues I had on other models. I agree with you. When the rep emailed me that I thought BS. That new Tidal sold for $310. Oh well. Maybe time to get this one fixed and keep it as a spare. Spring for a new rod. 

1 hour ago, Stonefish said:

Agreed.

Buying used Sage’s can be tricky especially with the repair costs now on their classic rods.

Someone on my local board is trying to sell an XP for $500.00. The rod is in great shape, but if you break it you are looking at $175.00 to have it repaired.

The possibility of having $675.00 tied up into a rod that was introduced in 1999 would drive me to just pay a bit more and buy a new higher end rod.....or two or three new TFO, Redington or Echo rods.

SF

45 mins ago, hipkvw said:

While I agree with not breaking many rods.... the Scott thing freaks me out as people on IG responded that they had breakage issues I had on other models. I agree with you. When the rep emailed me that I thought BS. That new Tidal sold for $310. Oh well. Maybe time to get this one fixed and keep it as a spare. Spring for a new rod. 

Unless there is a huge demand for this rod $500 is pretty outrageous.

Too many guys over value secondhand gear. 

Mike