JimK

MOCO Nj Kayak storage options.

9 posts in this topic

I just got my first yak.  I live in an apartment with no place to store my yak.  I am close to Belmar marina but found out today that their storage racks are full with a long waiting list for openings.   Any suggestions welcome!

Posted (edited) · Report post

Your apartment complex offers no storage indoors, outdoors, public storage areas? If no, and if I couldn’t find storage like say even a monthly small storage bin, you could always try hanging it from the ceiling with of a room not used much. 

I live in a townhome but will be moving soon. Currently I’m lucky however as my townhome association has a big fenced in lot where I store some my toys, including my 28’ center console boat which won’t fit in my garage obviously.

I’d contact your association.. Ask them if there’s somewhere you can store it. My place doesn’t even charge to house my quads, boat, or jet ski.

Edited by MattieG

It's not the kind of a place with an association. I live in a crowded beachfront community. No property surrounding the building I'm in. Just a couple of alleyways. What I'm looking for is a marina that has storage racks for kayaks, Belmar Marina has them , but they are full with a long waiting list. I'm wondering if anyone knows of any marinas around Monmouth County that have open kayak storage racks. Thanks for the suggestions.

Edited by JimK

Too bad you're not in Jersey City, I'm looking for 'tenants' for my garage rack. Curious, what does the marina with a waiting list charge?

If you're really motivated, you could rent someone's garage build a rack and be in business if there's that much demand there. I'm still trying to figure out how to market it, to find the people with kayaks and no storage, or who would buy a boat if they had a place to put it.

Edited by gellfex

9 hours ago, JimK said:

It's not the kind of a place with an association. I live in a crowded beachfront community. No property surrounding the building I'm in. Just a couple of alleyways. What I'm looking for is a marina that has storage racks for kayaks, Belmar Marina has them , but they are full with a long waiting list. I'm wondering if anyone knows of any marinas around Monmouth County that have open kayak storage racks. Thanks for the suggestions.

That kayak rack at the Belmar marina is about the last place I'd keep my kayak.   For one a security issue in that it's literally right next to the highway.    Secondly it offers absolutely no sun protection so your new kayak will bake in 90+ degree days unless you cover it and even then that's not always best.    If you plan to launch from there cruise the neighborhood and see if you spot a kayak in someones yard that you can rent some space from.  Also check the marinas near shark river hills across from Belmar.  There are some access points and a rack there too there too but the same issue apply.  

Thanks all. Problem solved.   A friend nearby is willing to let me store in their back yard.. Shady and secure.. !

6 hours ago, MikeG_NJ said:

Fairhaven yacht works has racks. I think they charge like 500 not cheap

$500 per season I hope?