doublegregg

do you sacrifice some feet of main line to get to fresh line??

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

so my line busted when i tried to set a not very aggressive hook set. i inspected the break, and it looked clean cut, very clean, no twists or thinning.... i guessed it broke about 20' from me, and i lost all my leader, etc. i use 4# test mono, mr crappie (i love that name, sorry, lol). 4# flouro leader, lure.  i'm fishing freshwater for lmb.

so i'm guessing i didn't exceed the test limit of the line? and speculating it was damaged previously ...   and so i'm wondering - do guys strip off some of their main line every now and then during the season, to get to fresh line? if so, what do you do about the loss of casting ability because your spool has less line (ispinning reels) .  or do you inspect the first so many feet every now and then?  i guess i'd be concerned about the end 10' or so of main line, which would see some abrasion, etc. , more so than the rest of the main line. i'm wondering whether my line broke within 10 or 20' of my leader.... or am i making too much of this, lol? 

thank you and happy shadding..............!

Edited by doublegregg

5 hours ago, doublegregg said:

so my line busted when i tried to set a not very aggressive hook set. i inspected the break, and it looked clean cut, very clean, no twists or thinning.... i guessed it broke about 20' from me, and i lost all my leader, etc. i use 4# test, mr crappie (i love that name, sorry, lol). 4# flouro leader.  i'm fishing freshwater for lmb.

so i'm guessing i didn't exceed the test limit of the line? and speculating it was damaged previously ...   and so i'm wondering - do guys strip off some of their main line every now and then during the season, to get to fresh line? if so, what do you do about the loss of casting ability because your spool has less line (ispinning reels) .  or do you inspect the first so many feet every now and then?  i guess i'd be concerned about the end 10' or so of main line, which would see some abrasion, etc. , more so than the rest of the main line. i'm wondering whether my line broke within 10 or 20' of my leader.... or am i making too much of this, lol? 

thank you and happy shadding..............!

That’s mono right? Not if it’s fresh as in less than a few months on that reel. I never used an aggressive hookset in light mono because you’re feeling the nibble late and there’s a stretch in the line. 12lbs mono & up, definitely doing a standard old school hookset. But to each his own. 

I cut back after a long session. I cut back a foot or two if a rod has spent a couple of days in the rack on the beach. If I’m wearing gloves I cut back, if I wear a bandaid I cut back. 

When  I get to the point that distance is compromised I tie in more line. I plug with 20lb power pro. At the end of the season I fill the spool and flip the line.

57 mins ago, tristate said:

I cut back after a long session. I cut back a foot or two if a rod has spent a couple of days in the rack on the beach. If I’m wearing gloves I cut back, if I wear a bandaid I cut back. 

When  I get to the point that distance is compromised I tie in more line. I plug with 20lb power pro. At the end of the season I fill the spool and flip the line.

do you tie in line to the end of your current line? and if so, what kind of knot? 

Jesus, you're using 4# line and are surprised there was a break?  The smaller the line the more you have to inspect it.  I cut off anything that is the least bit suspect.  When the spool gets low splice in a new casting head with a uni-to-uni.

9 hours ago, doublegregg said:

do you tie in line to the end of your current line? and if so, what kind of knot? 

Yes I cut back to good line. I use a double-uni knot. Tie it tight and trim it close and clean. You shouldn’t have any problems, I’ve used Power Pro for years with no problems.

Trim it back pretty regularly..... when it looks like it is making a difference, I reverse it with a little more backing... the whole process takes maybe 10 garage minutes...