patabate

Need help on prop for Yami 50

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Just taking delivery of a Lund Alaskan 1600. Weighs in around 1300# with batteries, motor and trolling motor and is16’10” long. The Yamaha website gave me way too many choices. I called Lund and they only have experience with Mercs, Evinrude and Honda’s. 
Anyone have experience with that or similar hull and the 50 Yamaha. Thanks. 

Think it helps to decide what your usage will be.

High speed: generally at the upper end of the RPM range with light load. I’d say 1300 is considered light. But maybe not if you have 2-3 big friends?

Low/Medium speed: ie trollling or you have a much bigger load. Ie 2-3 big friends with everyone’s gear. 

It has everything to do with pitch with maximizes efficiency for your desired usage.

I just Googled yamaha prop selector and found a website that allows you to enter various parameters, general recommendation, assuming you are talking about an F50 was a prop in 12-14 pitch.  If I had to guess all around, maybe go with 13" pitch?

Also tried Yamaha F50 + Lund + Prop and got some good reading on a Walleye site about a lund going to Alaska.  Seems 13 pitch was also discussed there too.

If you bought the engine from a dealer, usually they are very willing to let you use props for sea trial to fine tune what you want.  My dealer let me take out 4-5 props with my ETEC so I could run them back to back and find what worked best.  When I found it, I bought a new prop and gave him back the loaners.  My assumption was that all dealers let you do this.  If you didn't buy new, maybe still ask a dealer if you can borrow/rent a few to try with the assumption you'll buy a new one from them.

Lunds are such great boats.  My dad bought an 18' Alaskan in Maine before there were even dealers there in 1988.  He had to buy 3 to get them to truck them so he got 2 other buddies and they all ordered the same boat.  He's been through 9 outboards (but never a Yamaha), currently has a Suzuki 25 tiller and he loves it.  It's totally stripped down but man has that boat caught some fish.

Great help guys. My local Yamaha dealer has not had any experience with Lunds and wanted my input. Not having any experience with this setup I knew I’d get some here. 

Is there a lund usergroup of sorts?  See if anyone has the same setup to see what they are running.

In the end, you want to be hitting at or very near the top of max RPM when loaded at WOT

My 50 hp e- etc has a13.5 x 15 prop and Max rpms at 6000. As mentioned, you might have to try a couple to dial it in. There is a Lund owners Facebook page that might help. Congratulations on the new boat!

Posted (edited) · Report post

Dialing in the best prop for your rig and performance goals might take a few trials.

See if the dealer has demo props to save yourself some money on prop purchases and sales

For " I called Lund and they only have experience with Mercs, Evinrude and Honda’s." 

If any of those engines have the hp and a gear ratio that is similar to your yam, using a similar dia and pitch would be a good place to start.

Most importantly is being propped for at or close to the engine's max rpm spec at WOT, when trimmed out, and lightly loaded.

Edited by w2f4

Thanks for the help. After going through the manufacturers recommendations and the Yamaha dealer we settled on a 12 pitch. Still in the early stages of break-in so I haven’t revved  it over 3000 yet. Engine seems like a good fit, tiller steering has come a long way since I had an 18 hp Evinrude with a tiller.