mightyrime

South San Francisco first week June advice

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I have a week long job near the airport in South San Francisco.  I was going to bring both fly rod and spin rod.  I usually fish the delta when i can but time wont allow this trip.  I will have a couple hours in the morning and evenings.  I would love to try and get a striper in the surf, or maybe in the bay?   Anyone care to share advice or basic location tide info?  I was thinking of getting a hotel in Pacifica area as its 15 minutes from the job site.  I am also an avid surfer so going to bring board and thick wetsuit as well.

I believe June is a transition time with the striper leaving the delta so maybe they are swimming south along the beach :)

Any advice very apreciated..

i guess i should have said i would love to get a striper but totally cool catching other things like perch in the surf as well...

thanks 

kerry

You'll be in prime area for striper/ surfing or u can head south to HMB area or north to Ocean Beach, depending on time and traffic.  Surf can be rough.  Lots of choices. 

3 hours ago, Paladin said:

You'll be in prime area for striper/ surfing or u can head south to HMB area or north to Ocean Beach, depending on time and traffic.  Surf can be rough.  Lots of choices. 

good news...

I dig the irish song quote in your post.  I love Luke Kelly / Dubliners.

Halibut in the bay is another option, but think your plan to stay in Pacifica is a good one as this is prime striper country especially since this year's bite seems to be lagging a little down south. Plus if the surf is too big to fish, grab the board instead and keep an eye out for the guy in the grey suit! I wont give spots away, but as I hate to say it, youtubers already have, so do some searching and I am sure you will find plenty of intel on the area. There is also a Plug Maker in Pacifica, again don't wana speak for him, but could have good intel on local bite and knows how to fashion killer plugs in local fish catching colors, he been know to winch em in good.  As far as the halibut bite I am clueless, but Paladin has been know to slay them. 

i am assuming most east coast tactics work...  currents , sand bars, structure, low light?

do you guys ever get them on topwater?  I have found topwater rarely works in the delta.

Is there a predominant bait fish they are feeding on in the surf at that time?

thanks 

again

Whatever lures and techniques you are using for perch/halibut/corbina/bass down there, work fine up here. I throw less silver and more white combinations, that's about it. I prefer anything that swims over a top water bait.

95% of the time I'm fishing with a spinning gear & 15lb braid.

All east coast tactics will work just fine out West. Topwater is the best in my opinion, maybe not for numbers of fish, but nothing like a smash on the surface no question you got a hit and usually draws the larger fish. Our run of striper pales in comparison which can make locating the fish and larger fish a challenge. Our fin baits are usually much smaller (no bunker or thick mullet runs like out east) think anchovy, sardines, smelt, and sand crabs, with our larger baits being mackerel, jack smelt, even surf perch, and probably others that are slipping my mind. As stated, with smaller fish around you can get away with lighter gear and line, but just takes one good fish and a spooling to make you wish you had a little heavier gear and line capacity. Your going to find the majority of our beaches are deeper (after all we are an erosional coast line compared to the east that is a depositional) also our surf can be down right rough and huge at times as we get swell from storms up in the Bering Sea along the Alaskan Coast (think Deadliest Catch). I can remember being in Florida and the surfers were bragging about how the surf was huge and going off, when I saw it, I thought, jeez that is average to small in my waters. Still think you are coming at a good time to try for them, season is just getting underway, May-July is prime time. 

hey Mighty, I think maybe I've seen some of your posts off and on in the fly fishing forum? Will send you a PM.