Bigkole25

Trolling Umbrella Rigs Depth Question

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

If you're trolling umbrella rigs, how exactly can you estimate the depth depending on the amount of line you let out (in addition to speed). Is there some general rule of thumb to follow? 

wire or Braid?  They sell marked braid and there are shops that will do a wire spooling with indicators every 50 feet.

Speed I would say 2-3 MPH is what I would try and keep but it's not absolute... you are going to go "faster with a following tide" than making headway into the tide. I would also make more note of my engine RPMs than speed per say...

with Umbrellas rigs it's a lot easier to tell if you are dragging bottom or if you get lettuce... 

22 mins ago, fishinthedark said:

wire or Braid?  They sell marked braid and there are shops that will do a wire spooling with indicators every 50 feet.

Speed I would say 2-3 MPH is what I would try and keep but it's not absolute... you are going to go "faster with a following tide" than making headway into the tide. I would also make more note of my engine RPMs than speed per say...

with Umbrellas rigs it's a lot easier to tell if you are dragging bottom or if you get lettuce... 

kind of go with what he said, if you're dragging bottom, shorten it until you're not dragging. you generally want to be as close as you can without getting hung up or lettuced up. you'll get a feel for what a "clean" rig runs like, and should be able to tell when its fouled. if its dragging on bottom you'll see the rod just moving strangely too.

lots of variables when pulling umbrella rigs, no hard rule...rubber shads will run higher than tubes... rigs made on heavier wire will run deeper... 4 tube rig will run deeper than a rig with more tubes... adding a trolling weight obviously makes a difference...

Its trial an error initially, some kind of marking on the line helps. When we troll wire, the mark is the point where the wire meets the backing. that splice might be at the rod tip, at the water line, or "way past the water" as we get deeper. Real shallow (17-25'), we might have 10 wraps of wire still on the reel. thats with roughly 150' of wire. this is also on a bigger charter boat, so everything is higher off the water to start though.

Ask my buddy. New boat owner,

newbie to fishing pretty much. Buys 2

umbrella rigs, drops them in. I tell him no, don’t, you’ll loose those, it’s too shallow here. Doesn’t listen. Under 10 minutes later looses $100. 

good info above...

be diligent in turns as well.  Your inside umbrella will obviously slow down and likey hit bottom.  crank it in some  and reset as she may roll, get fouled up or worse, fetch up on the bottom.

2 hours ago, makorider said:

Watch for the 'bump' then take it in a few cranks and you are there

This.  Get to trolling speed and play out lone until you bump.  Then a few cranks up 

Eye on depth finder and crank and drop with the bottom

On 5/10/2021 at 11:53 AM, Bigkole25 said:

Hi everyone,

If you're trolling umbrella rigs, how exactly can you estimate the depth depending on the amount of line you let out (in addition to speed). Is there some general rule of thumb to follow? 

What kind of gear are you using? 
For wire, the rule of thumb is 100’ of wire equals 10’ of depth for rigs.

Spoons run a bit shallower, plugs and surge tubes a bit deeper. 
A 4oz beaded chain keeled drail will add 5’ of depth on a 300’ shot of wire. Mark your wire with different colors at 100, 150, 200 and 250.