NJTramcar

Favorite teaser rig length

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Fot stripers, typically I tie my teaser rigs about 3 foot long.  From the dropper loop to the lure around 24".

For fluke, a little closer together.

Fishing the other day, I was watching some guys with about 4 feet between the dropper and lure and others much closer as in for fluke.

I am comfortable with what I am doing but always interested in what others do and why.

What do you do, how far apart, and why?

Edited by NJTramcar

This is 1 thing I'd like to try.  Haven't done it yet.  But since I don't use line to line knots, I was thinking a 3ft leader with dropper some where in the top 3rd.

I was also thinking to just tie it on the barrel swivel.  Not sure yet.

Edited by Skunkoff

I played around with teasers for SB for years before committing to them. This is what I found. The loner the leader the better. Not just the leader but the actual distance the teaser rides in front of plug depending on how you rig them. I run 48” between them on a 9 ft outfit. That takes 5ft main leader and a 1 foot  teaser leader. 

See and i like the opposite. Maybe like 26-30” tops For leader to plug and like 6” piece for teaser . Stopped all the dropper loops stuff and just tie both direct to swivel . 

I tied dropper loops in 50lb mono for years.  I switch to Skinners method which is not prefect but decent.  The quick on and off is what I love.  I don't love the occasional tangle, but it's well worth being to go without and change patterns as needed.  

27 mins ago, Frede said:

I tied dropper loops in 50lb mono for years.  I switch to Skinners method which is not prefect but decent.  The quick on and off is what I love.  I don't love the occasional tangle, but it's well worth being to go without and change patterns as needed.  

How far apart does he have the lure and teaser?

Last fall was my first season targeting stripers from the beach so I am by no means an expert but here is what I found to be productive in both catching fish and being easy to cast/retrieve.

I tied my braid to a SPRO swivel then used about a 4 foot length on leader off the swivel to a TA clip to my lure.  For the teaser I used another TA clip and hooked it to the swivel  to about 1 foot of leader to the teaser fly.  This gave roughly 3 foot of distance between the lure and the teaser and was easy to cast.  Luckily I caught bass on both the lure and teaser.

I would love to hear if anyone has suggestions on changes.

25 mins ago, njcatchrelease said:

Last fall was my first season targeting stripers from the beach so I am by no means an expert but here is what I found to be productive in both catching fish and being easy to cast/retrieve.

I tied my braid to a SPRO swivel then used about a 4 foot length on leader off the swivel to a TA clip to my lure.  For the teaser I used another TA clip and hooked it to the swivel  to about 1 foot of leader to the teaser fly.  This gave roughly 3 foot of distance between the lure and the teaser and was easy to cast.  Luckily I caught bass on both the lure and teaser.

I would love to hear if anyone has suggestions on changes.

Exact setup I started using but slightly shorter

Mainline to a swivel, swivel to a TA clip at lure about 3FT long using mono or fluro

then I keep pre-tied teasers in a leader wallet that are on 20lb and 30lb mono to a small TA clip which I then clip to the bottom loop of the swivel, which I tie at about 6" long, short enough that it stands straight and doesn't wrap around the line. I can then swap teasers for different looks or easily remove. I usually keep a teaser on most of the time anyways. 

54 mins ago, NJTramcar said:

How far apart does he have the lure and teaser?

I don't think I paid much attention to that part as I was focusing on how he slips the teaser on and off.....which is what I borrowed from him.  I eyeball my distance to 24" to 26ish.  

Just to add, while I experimented with many different lengths over the years, it wasn’t until I put more space between the teaser and plug that I started consistently getting larger fish on the teaser. At least when they were around. 

Rule of thumb. 

You tie the loop so the fish you catch doesn't get bumped in the tail (spooked) by the plug when it goes for the teaser.

Edited by Buckscorider

2 hours ago, Buckscorider said:

Rule of thumb. 

You tie the loop so the fish you catch doesn't get bumped in the tail (spooked) by the plug when it goes for the teaser.

Also when the fish is trying to get the plug you don't want it hitting the teaser.  That is why I use at least 40in between the teaser and the plug.