dmac95

Nissequogue DEC Boat Ramp

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

I live in Smithtown and am down in that area a lot.  The water moves so fast on the flood or ebb, it looks like a freaking white water river rapids.  I know they just dredged it so it should be somewhat better towards the mouth but it can get dicey the closer you get to the marina.  Once they build the new marina they hopefully will keep the channel dredged and open.  Good luck.

I live there. DEC ramp is good until about hour before to an hour after low tide with smaller boats, mid tide to high with larger boats.

Low water isn’t the only thing to be concerned as far as the mouth of the river. Wind against tide can get really messy. The channel is not straight shot out of the river either. The last time I went out, it hooked East. I have not been out of it this year. 

I would suggest going to the bluffs with a cup of coffee and binoculars a few times and seeing what it is all about. It is much more like a south shore inlet than a north shore harbor.

9 hours ago, Mattys010 said:

I live there. DEC ramp is good until about hour before to an hour after low tide with smaller boats, mid tide to high with larger boats.

Low water isn’t the only thing to be concerned as far as the mouth of the river. Wind against tide can get really messy. The channel is not straight shot out of the river either. The last time I went out, it hooked East. I have not been out of it this year. 

I would suggest going to the bluffs with a cup of coffee and binoculars a few times and seeing what it is all about. It is much more like a south shore inlet than a north shore harbor.

Looks like I’m trailering 80 miles to Peconic this year. Dammit, Nissequogue. Gave you a chance.