surfcast

In line hook sizing

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

Wanted to convert some of my lures, from trebles to in line hooks. What do you suggest for lures, like the ones below?

Cotton Cordell  1 oz   and 2 oz  pencil popper 

Rebel   3 1/2 inch jumping minnow

Super Strike 5 1/4 inch 1 1/2 oz little neck popper

SP Floating Minnow 6 inch

Was thinking of using VMC hooks like the ones I show below, if you think a treble hook combo is more affective let me know.

Hooks 550 .png

If you go larger than 3/0 on a SP, the belly hook will wrap around the body and foul it.  I assume it would be the same for most minnow plugs of similar size.

NJTramcar started a thread entitled "Hook Replacement Charts" (Aug. 3, 2020) that will probably help.

I would've pasted into this thread but alas, it seems to be beyond my technical ability.  More coffee needed, perhaps.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I like owner inline hooks for the rear hanger, for the smallest plug I would guess a 3/0 then up to a 5/0 for the larger ones.

Edited by Konajon

I wouldn't buy VMC's.

Owners sure.....Vmc's nope.

Hook geometry is off.   When you put the point in your finger and pull like your setting the hook....the backside edge is where the pressure goes to.  Where as owners it's the point.

I use Owner in lines and like them.  I have a debate with myself on whether to put the tail hook point up or down.  This season I will be trying it both ways and see what happens. 

2 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

I wouldn't buy VMC's.

Owners sure.....Vmc's nope.

Hook geometry is off.   When you put the point in your finger and pull like your setting the hook....the backside edge is where the pressure goes to.  Where as owners it's the point.

I assume it has something to do with the way the eye is bent?

For your Rebel/SP, I'd say use 3/0 Owner. (If you plan on rigging a single belly hook on these - 1 4/0 might be needed for weight.)

For the SS and Cordell, 4/0 possibly 5/0.

Also, your picture isn't showing VMC hooks, but unbranded ones.

@hobobob mentioned the Mustad Kaijus. Which are lighter, much cheaper than Owner/VMC, but possibly weaker.

2 mins ago, Saltfruit said:

For your Rebel/SP, I'd say use 3/0 Owner. (If you plan on rigging a single belly hook on these - 1 4/0 might be needed for weight.)

For the SS and Cordell, 4/0 possibly 5/0.

Also, your picture isn't showing VMC hooks, but unbranded ones.

@hobobob mentioned the Mustad Kaijus. Which are lighter, much cheaper than Owner/VMC, but possibly weaker.

Weaker? Lol.  Try to straight one out.  It's not the weakest link in your whole setup.  

1 min ago, hobobob said:

Weaker? Lol.  Try to straight one out.  It's not the weakest link in your whole setup.  

I don't mean "weak" as a generally crappy product, but I believe Owner/VMC sell inlines that are 2x/3x (whatever that means) and their wire IS thicker.

If you've caught large on the Mustads, which I have not, your experience is the only testimony necessary.