slip n slide

periodical cicada

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Very much looking fwd to the hatch this year.Literally every fish in the river that can fit one in it's mouth will be looking up and feeding for the next month or so in large parts of the eastern US and midwest.I've had 20lb carp try a half doz times to take my fly w/ their not-adapted-to-surface-feeding mouth before I finally hooked up.

I've seen some pretty fancy patterns tied to imitate them but key is the profile and size of the body so I like to keep it simple.

Using a 3/8" foam popper cylinder cut to 1 3/4" and a # 4 3x long hook run through it,a thread base established to hold the foam/glue and wings from krinkle-flash,it will last through 3-4 doz fish depending on what species.

Honestly,the eyes and color ring are probably superflous but,hey,it was winter and I had time to kill...

Anybody else got some bugs tied to fish the hatch?

20210215_125955cicada.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

Not cicadas but 4years ago I was lucky enough to be @ the right place @ the right time in isla blanca Mexico  there was a huge swarm of one of the largest  grasshoppers ive ever seen(lubber family)  on earth tarpon up to 40lbs were slurping These things on the surface as they fall even kamakazing into our heads we switched to a gurgler and had a blast.my guide also tells me they like to eat them they make them into whats called chupalines and add them to their tacos too ,it was a national geographic moment. 

Screenshot_20210509-121719_YouTube.jpg

Edited by thaistick

So... OP title referring to cicadas reading quarterly magazines? :howdy:

Seriously though, great terrestrial moments in fishing arriving shortly here. No sightings yet.
I tie complex bugs and simple bugs. Biggest challenge for me was getting a fly recipe that has similar buoyancy to the naturals. Lighter is better. Smaller is better. In my experience.

6 hours ago, FlukeM said:

So... OP title referring to cicadas reading quarterly magazines? :howdy:

Seriously though, great terrestrial moments in fishing arriving shortly here. No sightings yet.
I tie complex bugs and simple bugs. Biggest challenge for me was getting a fly recipe that has similar buoyancy to the naturals. Lighter is better. Smaller is better. In my experience.

Nah,I don't get any magazines any more,all my reading is online.Do they still even publish any?

I'm old enough to have fished this hatch a multiple of times...been waiting for this round for,well,17 years,lol.

I do check the Cicada site every year to see where they are hatching,I'll drive 4 hrs+ for a cicada hatch!

Totally agree w/ your observations about the imitations....

1 hour ago, Steve_in_PA said:

Seems much of the NE is a bit lower in temps this spring.  Probably delay the hatch.

soils have been holdng around 60 for almost a month,good for morel hunters but I want the bugs,gotta be 64deg...

Posted (edited) · Report post

Can't wait - been tying for a month.  Rise my little friends and come forth. Unleash the Kraken.

Untitled2.png

Edited by galvanni