Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Husky

Best new Big Surf Reel and Rod.

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

I've been away and my old partner "baby sat my gear since '82. Included was My 1165 Lami, Crack 300 (Manual pick up) lots of lures. Also, I had a 9 ft Lami and a Cardinal 7 for Intermediate stuff. I'm looking to reestablish my gear with modern stuff, to replace the above? I can make my own rods, Lures too, so that's not a problem. Reels, that you gotta buy.

If you guys can steer me to modern counterparts, it'd make my searching a whole lot easier.

TIA,

Mike P

You're kidding right?

I don't think anyone today is making anything that's equal to the 2 reels you have.

If you insist you can put the Crack and Cardinal on Ebay and, if they are in good shape with the boxes, probably make enough for a new VS.

The modern counterpart to you Crack is the VS 300. The VS is based on the Luxor/Crack design. But the new ones are gonna run almost 700 clams eek.gif

Penn 706 is a very good reel. Little smaller in capacity than the Crack, different gear material but still very strong, and it doesn't have the annoying quirks of the Crack (brittle screws and the line-snagging wing nut drag knob).

Lami still makes those glass workhorse rods (the 1165 is now called the SB 136 3M), but I suppose you'll want to go with graphite. The rod you'll find most similar to your 1165 is the GSB 132 1M blank. 11' as opposed to 11'6". Priced somewhere around $200 for the blank. Another good Lamiglas blank to make a medium to heavy spinning rod is the "Ron Arra" series XRA 126 1MH. Good for heavy bucktails and big plugs. A more versatile medium blank in the Ron Arra line is the 11' XRA 1322. It's rated 1-5 oz but it labors a bit once you get over 4.

11' one piece blanks aren't that common, and Lamiglas is about the only game in town for one piece blanks. If you want to drop down to 10' you have more options. Dunno how you feel about thin tipped rapid taper blanks, but Batson Enterprises and All Star make some 10' one piece blanks. The medium power ones in both brands are labeled 1208.

You're kidding right?

I don't think anyone today is making anything that's equal to the 2 reels you have.

If you insist you can put the Crack and Cardinal on Ebay and, if they are in good shape with the boxes, probably make enough for a new VS.

After this long, they kinda belong to him and his kid. Plus, he did the right thing by me and mine, so I just want to move on with some state of the art gear. PS, I still have the Cardinal. In thge Past, I think I did about 75% of my fishing with the 9 footer, anyway.

The 9' blank that I'd suggest you take a look at is the Batson Rainshadow SW 1088. It's an American made blank (for the moment at least) that retails somewhere between $60 and $80 depending on your source. Medium power blank with a fairly parabolic bend to it. Handles lures from a 7/8 oz Bomber up to about 3 oz very well.

My wife has one. She uses a Shimano Stradic 8000 on it. When I "borrow" it I put a Penn Slammer 560 on it.