AmericanStriper

Diving in Cape Cod Canal?

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

One time, I was watching a YouTube video of somebody fishing the Cape Cod Canal. I was reading the comments and someone said that you would be able to open a tackle store with all of the stuff lost there, if you could dive for them. Another person responded briefly that you can't dive there, might be illegal.

This comment was made over 3 years ago and I doubt I would get a response clarifying this, especially on a video with little views. I have never been to Cape Cod, much less the state of Massachusetts in my life, and live far away from it. So I am not aware if this is true and I simply am wondering about this.

All I know so far is that it is rocky an deep, and heavy tackle is routinely used there due to the conditions. Is it really illegal to swim or dive around there, will you be stopped, have anyone done it?

Illegal and extremely dangerous.  Not to mention all the lines that you’d have to be dodging like underwater missiles.  “I think I hooked a shark!” 

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 min ago, AmericanStriper said:

*looks like this post was somehow posted twice. How can I fix this?*

Edit this one and say “Double Post”

Edited by t_man7

29 mins ago, ged said:

It is illegal to dive there. 

Any details on why? And if that’s enforced? 

I really don’t care personally but things like that being illegal drive me batshit crazy.

I guess that’s the libertarian part of my personality. 

It's property how powerful the current can be and a diver can be swept away and boats that travel through cant see divers and are not looking out for them if they are in the area. 

4 hours ago, ged said:

It is illegal to dive there. 

For sure, I have seen divers at the east end and they got in trouble 

3 hours ago, EricDice said:

I really don’t care personally but things like that being illegal drive me batshit crazy.

The canal is for navigation of ships.

.anything else they let us do is a bonus.

You cannot fish from a boat or dive and I have seen people get in trouble for both.

Imagine diving and having a lineup of guys throwing jigs and big  magic swimmers at you while big barges going over you. 

The canal is a major commercial waterway monitored by the army corps of engineers. They definitely don’t need some insane diver pulling off a half-baked stunt to retrieve lures or anything else in there. 

If a place is a magnet for losing tackle, imagine how much fishing line in trailing behind all those lures. Eighty years worth on mono, squidding line, and braid. Imagine getting tangled up in that. I think it could be you last dive.

14 hours ago, EricDice said:

Its a f-ing death sentence. The current is wicked. Let alone the fact its a major commercial highway.

4 hours ago, capecodder said:

If a place is a magnet for losing tackle, imagine how much fishing line in trailing behind all those lures. Eighty years worth on mono, squidding line, and braid. Imagine getting tangled up in that. I think it could be you last dive.

I was thinking the same thing.

It’d be like swimming into a nest of tangled fishing line.

No thanks.

Also, I seem to recall seeing an aerial photo of the canal which showed some large sharks very close to the shore.

Fishing is good enough for me.

14 hours ago, EricDice said:

The current in the CCC is unreal. And boats from just about every size imaginable use the canal, including large barges and tugs. Anyone who would attempt to dive there not only endangers themselves but the folks around them. It would be totally asinine to even attempt. Kind of like going over Niagara Falls in a barrel. You would have to be incredibly stupid to even try. Just my 2 cents.