Eye_dock

Migratory fish/quality of meat

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Tis the season for me to keep a couple slot fish...before anyone gets preachy I am releasing 90% of my fish and almost always make the decision to harvest based on how they’re hooked and if there seems to be a chance they don’t make it post release.

I’ve kept two stripers this spring—both from the same spot, roughly same size and both bled on the beach. I am blown away by the difference in eating quality. 

My theory is the first was a holdover and the second was a fresh migrant.

thoughrs ? Science?

17 mins ago, Eye_dock said:

Tis the season for me to keep a couple slot fish...before anyone gets preachy I am releasing 90% of my fish and almost always make the decision to harvest based on how they’re hooked and if there seems to be a chance they don’t make it post release.

I’ve kept two stripers this spring—both from the same spot, roughly same size and both bled on the beach. I am blown away by the difference in eating quality. 

My theory is the first was a holdover and the second was a fresh migrant.

thoughrs ? Science?

This is a very interesting question.

I have found that the fish are much much better in October and November than they are in May and June.

The texture and the quality of the fish is much better after they had a spring and summer feeding I assume that's what it is.

I mean it has to be just because they've been feeling heavily and during the warmer months so they're much better condition physically chemically in their body I would have to say.

HH

Spring blues in barnegat bay were always lean. Once in the bay for a while some were thought to feed on grass shrimp to the extent that it changed the meat. I could never tell but I did like spring bluefish (small in size and early in the season). I generally kept a 2-3lber per spring but rarely (probably ever) from June on. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Grass shrimp probably is a big factor good point. Now that you mention it the last fish That was this clean was caught in early may before the adult bunker overrun the area. Doubt anything tastes good after a summer of gorging on bunker 

Edited by Eye_dock

1 hour ago, Eye_dock said:

Grass shrimp probably is a big factor good point. Now that you mention it the last fish That was this clean was caught in early may before the adult bunker overrun the area. Doubt anything tastes good after a summer of gorging on bunker 

Bunker eating fish can’t be a recipe for gourmet flavor. 

I doubt egg laden females taste fantastic before or after the spawn. All their nutrients went into the eggs and spawning. 

Ever eaten a duck after it’s migration? Lean, tough, and very little fat.  Probably a similar situation. 

I believe it's the same with all animals.  

Long migrations, spawning, etc. All produce acid build-up in muscles, plus hormones. 

Eat a buck in the spring vs during the rut in the fall, or vice versa with a tom turkey.  Fish are no different.  

And I don't hate on ya that you keep a fish. It's legal, and I do it myself. 

On 5/8/2021 at 9:05 PM, Heavy Hooksetter said:

This is a very interesting question.

I have found that the fish are much much better in October and November than they are in May and June.

The texture and the quality of the fish is much better after they had a spring and summer feeding I assume that's what it is.

I mean it has to be just because they've been feeling heavily and during the warmer months so they're much better condition physically chemically in their body I would have to say.L

HHv

Agree with this. I dont keep many stripers at all but when I harvest, its fall only. Fish just seem tastier and filets seem overall better. 

I usually harvest one beginning of season and 2 towards the end that way I have one in winer I can eat.

4 hours ago, ijuanaspearfish said:

Agree with this. I dont keep many stripers at all but when I harvest, its fall only. Fish just seem tastier and filets seem overall better. 

I usually harvest one beginning of season and 2 towards the end that way I have one in winer I can eat.

Yeah they definitely are better quality in the in the fall the meat is just better and it's different texture flavor everything.

HH