fishweewee

60 square foot apartment - nyc

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

That building used to be an SRO, in other words, a flop house years ago. The neighborhood ne'er-do-wells used to reside there. The hotel on the corner, used to be the Valencia, a hooker/crack house hotel. :howdy: 

8 hours ago, fishinambition said:

Some **** from michigan will move in, dye his hair green, put 40 piercings through his face and take selfies of himself "being a NYer", 3 months before taking a swan dive off the GW.

One of the best this year. Lol

5 hours ago, jimmy z said:

When I was a lad, my dad had a store front at 8 St. marks place. :howdy:

I bet and some J bag was raping him rent wise

Meh, If I was single and had no kids.  I could live there.  

I stayed at a place in France for a bit that was about that size.  Except the ceiling height was just under 6ft.  I'm around 6ft2in.   The shower was the worst.  I had to go in with my arms raised to wash my top half, get out & lower my arms to wash my bottom half. 

To sit on the toilet I had to put my legs in the shower.   

But it gave me a great reason to go outside when I wasn't working. 

8 hours ago, Mike said:

A good friend of mine had exactly that for his 1st place in NYC by Washington square park.

Ahhhh, Abe Beame and rent control, good times, good times ...

2 hours ago, blake30615 said:

I bet and some J bag was raping him rent wise

No my friend.  Back then the city was normal. My mom's apt was rent controlled. She was paying less then 300.00 a month in 1980.

Store rents were cheap too

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 hours ago, Lagerhead said:

Grass roots

It was near the Dom, a Polish Nightclub, which later became the Electric Circus. When St. marks got crazy he moved to 1st ave. :howdy:

Edited by jimmy z

4 hours ago, Lagerhead said:

Grass roots

BTW, I have been there in my younger days. But the neighborhood guys like me frequented joints closer to First ave. and ave. A.

St. Marks plc was like the Bowery. neighborhood guys and gals stayed away from the bad areas.:howdy:

I was a youngin from Pa now living in Jersey. A close friend’s dad was a math teacher at Cooper Union. That friend was our ‘tour guide’ and the east village was where we would go. The routine was park and have a couple drinks in Hoboken, take the PATH to 9th st, head east. Grass Roots, Ukrainian American club on 1st then head to a bar with live music up on 1st Ave and 14th? Sometimes Mcsorleys or Brewskis next door if there was a line. 

7 hours ago, jimmy z said:

No my friend.  Back then the city was normal. My mom's apt was rent controlled. She was paying less then 300.00 a month in 1980.

Store rents were cheap too

So you remember the burn back then when the landlord was paying the drug addicts to burn to get the insurance. Welfare back then would not mail the checks directly to the J bags. The landlords were bad, but the tenants were worse. Throwing their garbage out the window. Pissing on public radiators. What a chit show back then.