PistolPeteFL

Bimini Twist getting hung up in guides?

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I recently started using the Bimini twist to Bristol knot for my shock leaders as it's easier to tie out on the jetty than an FG or Alberto knot. Using a 9ft spinning setup I lost 2 jigs with the whole shock leader, I'm pretty sure the doubled line is getting caught on a guide when I'm casting because one of the two times the top section of my two piece rod almost went flying off and the breaks happened at the same part of the cast. 

I've read of others on this forum who use them so I feel like I'm doing something wrong. Above all I REALLY want to stop losing gear, but I also like this knot a lot and can tie it fast and consistently, I dread having to retie an FG or Alberto when I'm on the sand or rocks. 

Can anyone offer some guidance? 

What are your go to shock leader knots when you're in the field?

28 mins ago, PistolPeteFL said:

Hey all,

I recently started using the Bimini twist to Bristol knot for my shock leaders as it's easier to tie out on the jetty than an FG or Alberto knot. Using a 9ft spinning setup I lost 2 jigs with the whole shock leader, I'm pretty sure the doubled line is getting caught on a guide when I'm casting because one of the two times the top section of my two piece rod almost went flying off and the breaks happened at the same part of the cast. 

I've read of others on this forum who use them so I feel like I'm doing something wrong. Above all I REALLY want to stop losing gear, but I also like this knot a lot and can tie it fast and consistently, I dread having to retie an FG or Alberto when I'm on the sand or rocks. 

Can anyone offer some guidance? 

What are your go to shock leader knots when you're in the field?

Sounds really complicated.  If your FG breaks off why not just tie a uni to uni and be done with it.  Biminis are a pain and their efficacy is debatable in your situation.

13 mins ago, Cpalms said:

Sounds really complicated.  If your FG breaks off why not just tie a uni to uni and be done with it.  Biminis are a pain and their efficacy is debatable in your situation.

I once had a uni to uni take one of my guide inserts with it on a cast, are they generally regarded as low enough profile to go through guides at full swing?

double your Main line up to 18lb test  thru  15-20 feet of hollow core braid ...it  will give you an exceptionally strong shock leader finished with a minute film of gorilla glue, no knots, but will not help you if you snag the rig and loose everything...a simple tapestry needle will handle the main line thru the hollow core, it is time consuming but no knots...

27 mins ago, Surf bomber said:

double your Main line up to 18lb test  thru  15-20 feet of hollow core braid ...it  will give you an exceptionally strong shock leader finished with a minute film of gorilla glue, no knots, but will not help you if you snag the rig and loose everything...a simple tapestry needle will handle the main line thru the hollow core, it is time consuming but no knots...

An FG is too complicated but you want him to make a wind on leader - on a jetty?  uhh ok.

Not on the jetty ...didn't realize that was understood..I apologize ...it takes a few hours plus the glue has to dry for 24 hours ...as mentioned it is time consuming but no knots

Wait a second. Alberto knot more complicated than a Bimini? I mean, a Bimini isn’t a complicated knot, but it takes a hell of a lot more time and effort than an Alberto. 

I assume the OP is using braid. 

If he is, add 20' of heavy braid to the running line at home, uni to uni or whatever you like, tie to a swivel and add a mono or fluorocarbon leader to that. This is what ReelinRod does and he's a champion caster. IMHO a Bimini is a poor choice in the surf, or from shore, however useful it may be to trollers.

1 hour ago, Seadogg said:

Wait a second. Alberto knot more complicated than a Bimini? I mean, a Bimini isn’t a complicated knot, but it takes a hell of a lot more time and effort than an Alberto. 

There's a couple of great YouTube videos that show the technique, but I can have it tied in under a minute and only really need any finesse when locking it with half hitches which is great in windy conditions, which I can't seem to get out of recently. 

Give it a shot, it seems that it isn't the best for casting, but I'd definitely take it over a uni to uni if I were trolling or dropping, which I unfortunately don't get to do :(

1 hour ago, BrianBM said:

I assume the OP is using braid. 

If he is, add 20' of heavy braid to the running line at home, uni to uni or whatever you like, tie to a swivel and add a mono or fluorocarbon leader to that. This is what ReelinRod does and he's a champion caster. IMHO a Bimini is a poor choice in the surf, or from shore, however useful it may be to trollers.

Thanks for your input Brian. I guess I could have added some more info. I am using a 50lb braid mainline to an 80lb mono shock leader to throw 6-10oz. 

So I'm understanding this correctly, your saying put an even heavier braid section in place of the shock leader, say 100lb, and then just a standard length leader off of that? 

Just now, PistolPeteFL said:

There's a couple of great YouTube videos that show the technique, but I can have it tied in under a minute and only really need any finesse when locking it with half hitches which is great in windy conditions, which I can't seem to get out of recently. 

Give it a shot, it seems that it isn't the best for casting, but I'd definitely take it over a uni to uni if I were trolling or dropping, which I unfortunately don't get to do :(

Aside from some fly leader applications, I use it on my boat rods to connect braid to leader. I Bimini the braid, 60 turns, a hitch on each leg, then 6 more hitches over both. I then tie an Alberto to join my mono/fluoro leader to the Bimini loop. I’ve heard of other people having issues with it hanging in the guides but I haven’t experienced that yet. 

1 min ago, Seadogg said:

Aside from some fly leader applications, I use it on my boat rods to connect braid to leader. I Bimini the braid, 60 turns, a hitch on each leg, then 6 more hitches over both. I then tie an Alberto to join my mono/fluoro leader to the Bimini loop. I’ve heard of other people having issues with it hanging in the guides but I haven’t experienced that yet. 

Most of what I read/watched only called for 25/30 wraps, which seems a tad more manageable than 60 for sure. And now that I'm thinking more about it, I think I was actually tying an Aussie quickie on this setup. Neat knot, super quick, super pretty!

I mostly use conventional or bait casting but got a new spinning reel, (old - 712z that I overhauled and converted to manual bail) and it was also my first time using the Bimini. I wonder if spinning reels are more susceptible to this problem due to the way the line comes off the spool. I actually considered this but after the top section of my rod almost came off I didn't want to chance it actually coming loose on my more expensive conventional setup. 

Any chance what you've heard is specific to spinning or conventional? 

1 min ago, PistolPeteFL said:

Most of what I read/watched only called for 25/30 wraps, which seems a tad more manageable than 60 for sure. And now that I'm thinking more about it, I think I was actually tying an Aussie quickie on this setup. Neat knot, super quick, super pretty!

I mostly use conventional or bait casting but got a new spinning reel, (old - 712z that I overhauled and converted to manual bail) and it was also my first time using the Bimini. I wonder if spinning reels are more susceptible to this problem due to the way the line comes off the spool. I actually considered this but after the top section of my rod almost came off I didn't want to chance it actually coming loose on my more expensive conventional setup. 

Any chance what you've heard is specific to spinning or conventional? 

Spinning, pretty sure. Don’t know exactly what caused those cases tho. 

So, two knots instead of one? Just tie an Alberto and be done with it. I tie FGs on the jetty, in the dark. The only time I ever switch to the Alberto is if I get bitten off in a blitz. If tying an Alberto is too hard for you, but tying a Bimini and a Bristol isn't, you probably should practice tying the Alberto knot more.

5 hours ago, RockRonin said:

So, two knots instead of one? Just tie an Alberto and be done with it. I tie FGs on the jetty, in the dark. The only time I ever switch to the Alberto is if I get bitten off in a blitz. If tying an Alberto is too hard for you, but tying a Bimini and a Bristol isn't, you probably should practice tying the Alberto knot more.

What technique do you use? I hate tying the FG, maybe it's because of how I'm doing it.