Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MakoMike

Help!

Rate this topic

45 posts in this topic

I just found out that my nomination for a seat on the New England Fishery management council has been forwarded to the Secretary of commerce and letters of endorsement for my nomination (Michael Plaia). Send endorsements of nominees to Council.Appointments@noaa.gov. NMFS will officially record endorsements only if they are received in writing. Email text or letters attached to an email will be accepted. Please submit endorsements as early as possible to ensure the information is considered throughout the decision-making process. Appointments will be announced no later than June 27, 2021.

Do you still think the problem is recreational fishermen? Good to know what you believe in before anyone endorses you. 

13 mins ago, ged said:

Do you still think the problem is recreational fishermen? Good to know what you believe in before anyone endorses you. 

It depends on the species, but for the species managed by the NEFMC the answer is no, recreational fisherman are NOT part of the problem.

How about striped bass?

After they are all gone the ground fish this board will have an influence on will be all we have left to fish for. 

Here here, what makes you a likely candidate to fill this seat on behalf of the recreational sport fishing public? 

What do you plan to change

What are your qualifications

Did you ever fill such a seat before and if so what change's where you able to adapt by you doing so

What is your position on ged's question

Lou T 

2 mins ago, Lou T said:

Here here, what makes you a likely candidate to fill this seat on behalf of the recreational sport fishing public? 

Did you ever fill such a seat before and if so what change's where you able to adapt by you doing so

Lou T 

He has posted some interesting content on here in the past. 

2 mins ago, ged said:

He has posted some interesting content on here in the past. 

OK. Dose this mean you now stand by him

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 mins ago, Lou T said:

OK. Dose this mean you now stand by him

Nope

Edited by ged

17 mins ago, ged said:

How about striped bass?

After they are all gone the ground fish this board will have an influence on will be all we have left to fish for. 

The NEFMC doesn't manage striped bass. But I am an advisor to the ASMFC on striped bass and my comments are all on the public record.

4 mins ago, MakoMike said:

The NEFMC doesn't manage striped bass. But I am an advisor to the ASMFC on striped bass and my comments are all on the public record.

This is a quote from a post in the thread linked from a well respected Capt. 

“We simply can't believe what the government tells us at this point. 

They have an agenda and people in fishery management (like Mike) have an agenda as well. "In my opinion", Mike has consistently represented commercial fishing interests while occupying a recreational interest seat. Thus watering down the effectiveness of pushing a more recreational oriented agenda.

And he is not alone.”

17 mins ago, Lou T said:

Lou T 

I am currently and advisor to the NEFMC on their recreational advisory panel. I am also an advisor to the MAFMC and ASMFC.

I would like to see the NEFMC take the recreational sector into account on all species that they manage rather than just cod and haddock. 

On striped bass? I think that, given the fact that the fishery is over 80% recreational I think that's where we have to looks for ways to reduce the mortality if the species is going to recover. I was the one on the advisory panel that got the need to protect the 2015 year class included in the comments to the Striped bass management board. I also opposed revising the biological reference points, including commercial revisions in amendment 7, I advocated for a revised system for conservational equivalency.

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 mins ago, ged said:

This is a quote from a post in the thread linked from a well respected Capt. 

“We simply can't believe what the government tells us at this point. 

They have an agenda and people in fishery management (like Mike) have an agenda as well. "In my opinion", Mike has consistently represented commercial fishing interests while occupying a recreational interest seat. Thus watering down the effectiveness of pushing a more recreational oriented agenda.

And he is not alone.”

My agenda is very simple, I believe that any or all species should be managed using the best scientific advise available and both the recreational and commercial sectors should bear the burden of taking whatever actions are necessary to achieve the above.

I don't understand what "a recreational interest seat" is supposed to be. I sit on the recreational advisory panel of the NEFMC and in that role I solely represent recreational interests.

Edited by MakoMike