codfish

Help Wanted signs everywhere it's getting ridiculous

Rate this topic

195 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, flyangler said:

assuming no retroactive start date). 

What a d!ck move that would be.  But wouldn’t surprise me.

18 hours ago, codfish said:

Stopped at Red Top Bait/Tackle heading off Cape, Sign in window Help Wanted, Every where I look all I see is Help Wanted, I sit down for a bite to eat at the local burger shop, my place mat is an employee application form it's getting ridiculous, is it this bad where you are?? 

It's a great time to be a high school or college kid looking for a job.

3 hours ago, MikeM58 said:

Historically low rates of inventory of homes for sale is the true driver in the rise of prices.  Coupled with the reasons you give above, especially interest rates.  High demand, low supply.

Not a historically unique situation.  I've seen at least 3-4 real estate bubbles inflate and burst.  This one will be no different... and the tears will flow.

2 hours ago, Mummichog said:

Sounds like another liberal to pollute paradise.

NJ moving to NY is a wash.

On the one hand we say that these minimum wage jobs are for kids, not adults.  Now we are in a tizzy that adults aren't rushing to flip burgers or stock shelves.  So are these kid jobs or are they the "backbone of the economy"?

13 hours ago, flyangler said:

Low interest rates on mortgages. 

Accumulated cash from pandemic savings

Need to buy NOW for some reason

Desire to sell existing house before cap gains rates rise (assuming no retroactive start date). 

FOMO

The "need to buy now" is mostly the lack of recognition that an inflating bubble eventually bursts.  They think the prices are going to continue to rise at the present rate in perpetuity. 

Three years from now these same people will be crying to the Wall Street Journal about being "underwater" on their mortgage.

Place i work does best in the summer so usually by now we start extending our hours. Weve been holding back because we dont have the staff for it. Nobody wants to work its ridiculous. Bunch of people sitting on their ass collecting more than if they worked a 5 day week. We reached out to a company we used to use for our catered events to see about having them do our events this year and he said same thing, wasnt sure if hed have enough staff to do it all. Because again, we personally dont have the staff to open our kitchen

1 hour ago, Slacker said:

On the one hand we say that these minimum wage jobs are for kids, not adults.  Now we are in a tizzy that adults aren't rushing to flip burgers or stock shelves.  So are these kid jobs or are they the "backbone of the economy"?

Do you really have a viable business model if you can’t beat unemployment wages? It’s like Kroger in LA shutting a couple stores down rather than paying its workers an extra $5 an hour. They’ll eat the lost revenue and put 250 people out of work. Meanwhile the CEO Rodney McMullen made $14,167,163 in total compensation. Of this total $1,311,849 was received as a salary, $2,006,450 was received as a bonus, $2,100,170 was received in stock options, $8,400,002 was awarded as stock and $348,692 came from other types of compensation. That doesn’t jive with me. 

I was in a large local fishing/hunting/outdoors store the other day and they had a kiosk set up taking applications. For **** and giggles I asked what the hours and starting pay were. $13.50/32 hrs a week. $432 a week before taxes and no benefits? No thanks. Under normal circumstances I make more than that weekly pay in an hour. 

4 hours ago, Mummichog said:

What a d!ck move that would be.  But wouldn’t surprise me.

The constitutionality is debatable. 

4 hours ago, Slacker said:

Now we are in a tizzy that adults aren't rushing to flip burgers or stock shelves. 

I am not in a tizzy that adults wont flip burgers.  I am in a tizzy that adults on unemployment wont flip burgers.  If I was fired I would check my dignity at the door and be driving a truck by noon.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I must say at least two PG liberal cheerleaders are really showing how little they know about the real world.  Their questions are freaking Hillaria. 

Looking for a business model to beat free OPM.  Good lord I think they really are that dumb.  At least some of them can try to debate the issues, but we are seeing that it is mostly feelz and msm driving their thought (and voting) decisions.

We are truly lost.  Its too late.

"Why is stuff so expensive?" :bucktooth:

Edited by Shipwreck

3 mins ago, Shipwreck said:

"Why is stuff so expensive?" :bucktooth:

Strap in snowflake, your safe space is going reach melting temp in short order.

I worked for a company that was bought out by a venture capitalist outfit about 15 years ago.

I got let go as I was too expensive and did not want to commute to the city.  Went on unemployment, times were tought.

I was so embarrassed that people would see my truck at home all day that I pretended to leave for work each morning, parked the truck at the golf course and rode my bike home.  Everyday until I got a gig.

That sense of shame and work ethic is all but gone in today's 'adult'.