Brook hunter

Rods to pair with tfo hayden

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I am working on building out all of my possible salt water outfits. I have just about completed my collection on tfo hayden reels and am wondering if anyone has suggestions of rods they have paired with hayden reels? More specifically wondering about 8wt, 10wt, 12wt, and possibly 14wt rods. 

9 hours ago, Brook hunter said:

Hey all,

I am working on building out all of my possible salt water outfits. I have just about completed my collection on tfo hayden reels and am wondering if anyone has suggestions of rods they have paired with hayden reels? More specifically wondering about 8wt, 10wt, 12wt, and possibly 14wt rods. 

If you're collecting for fun, great. If you're collecting for fishing, you're waaaay overthinking this.

Maybe I shouldn’t have used the word collection. I am building out all my saltwater rigs before I move to Guam in a few years. Easier to get everything out here than it is once I get there. I intend to fish other islands in Micronesia and a bunch of other tropical destinations. 

46 mins ago, Brook hunter said:

Maybe I shouldn’t have used the word collection. I am building out all my saltwater rigs before I move to Guam in a few years. Easier to get everything out here than it is once I get there. I intend to fish other islands in Micronesia and a bunch of other tropical destinations. 

CTS makes some nice rods/blanks...amazing how light they are for their power.Prices aren't unreasonable either.

14 hours ago, Brook hunter said:

Hey all,

I only have the Hayden 1's (regular width) which are technically 8-10wt reels, I guess.  These reels are fairly heavy for their designation, and the drags are extremely smooth and powerful when lubricated properly.  They need to be paired with heavier rods, IMO.

I pair my Hayden 1 reels with a Colton 10wt UD Blue (which is a 10/11) and a Colton 8wt Leviathan (which is more of an 8/9; this series no longer made in an 8wt).  Also I have an LL Bean 10wt Orion (made by Loomis, probably on the GL3 blank) that balances pretty well with them.  If I had the larger Hayden reels I think I'd be looking at the TFO TiCRx rods (in 10-12wt) or the TFO Bluewater series rods, which are now discontinued I think but still available on the big auction site from time to time.

I sometimes also use the Hayden 1 reel on a Ross 12wt rod (Ross Essence FC 12wt), but line it with an 11wt intermediate or full sink line.  All of the rods I mentioned are around 5 oz or heavier, with well built (one might say overbuilt) fighting butts. They are not flats rods.  More boat and bluewater rods which is where I think the Hayden reels excel.  I use other lighter reels, and rods, for flats and beach fishing.  YMMV.