Rougesun

Best way to clean salt off windows

6 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

My hubby and I have been taking trips to Ocracoke from Morehead City, where we drive on the beach and surf fish. The problem is driving back and forth (about 2 1/2 hours of driving with an additional 4 1/2 hours on the ferry) with our windows salted up. The outside isn’t really a problem, he washes them off at the closest gas station. The inside is the issue. We’ve used both Windex and vinegar, sometimes a sponge, and microfiber towels or newspaper.  What’s do ya’ll think is the best way to get salt off the inside glass? White vinegar in a spray bottle works ok if you let it soak a few minutes, then squeegee and finally a newspaper or microfiber as a finisher. Vinegar, squeegee and newspaper is the cheapest, just takes a few minutes little longer than Windex. What do y’all do? 

Edited by Rougesun

Whenever fishing on the beach, I try to park truck grill into the wind to minimize this.But after a couple of days, it's irrelevant and you're gonna have film on the inside. On the afternoon before coming home,I'll park truck grill into the sun to see the film and use a magic eraser with windex or vinegar to clean inside. Usually takes 2/3 full windshield wipes, but makes it much more tolerable driving home.

Hope this helps.

A glass cleaner called "Sprayway" does an excellent job of cleaning any and all problems with glass... Can be purchased at auto glass shops and some hardware stores..

Posted (edited) · Report post

Wow. Never heard of it. Thanks, I will buy some. We are no spring chickens anymore, and driving isn’t as easy as it used to be. A 15 hour day is very taxing for us, especially on the 2+ hour drive home from the ferry landing. It’s a narrow road with water on both sides. Even worse if you cannot see very well out of the front window. Thanks again. 
Update: Just found a 19oz bottle with the white cap on Amazon for $8.06 delivered. It will be here on May 13th. Thanks so much.  I hope it helps.  

Edited by Rougesun