Help me catch first striper

Rate this topic

mark d

If things go according to plan (when has that ever happened) I will be fishing the lower potomac in June. Surfcaster my whole life but never in striper country. I would appreciate any advice you guys might have.

Thanks

Edited by mark d

"what good are tractors without violins" ?   jose figueres

Don’t know that area. Best advice, and what I would do even if I came equipped with all my stuff, is hit a B&T in the target area. Ask what people are using in the river for stripers as you wanna spend some money to catch fish. Then buy some fresh bait or “lures/hardbaits” (I imagine that’s what they’ll call what we call “plugs” further north). 

Then, hope for the best and don’t give up. I got everything but stripers for a few years and learned a ton despite the constant disappointment. In fact, learn how to catch whatever fish are there if the stripers are not or just aren’t biting. I have to remind myself that kind of mentality usually mid summer ever year that I should be targeting what’s “catchable.”

You will read that the striper population is in migration now,and will be mostly past the Potomac by the June period.  This doesn't mean there won't be some bass hanging around ,but bass don't like warm water and move with the bait to the NE in June-though October.

Best chances are what has been recommended Either night or pre dawn will give you the best shot.  If you can take a trip to the NE in the summer any of the islands would make a good vacation, Block Island, Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket.  Good luck fishing will be as good as it gets.

9 hours ago, Decap said:

24/7 cast near a rip GL..

Yes. I found a spot that looks fishy on google earth where A tributary meets the potomac with a shallow point sticking out. Probably a rip present when the tide is running

"what good are tractors without violins" ?   jose figueres

Bucktails catch stripers in rivers...  If i was going to fish a new to me river, i would swing bucktails tipped with a trailer near structure at night on an outgoing tide.

Scout the area during the day at low tide before fishing at night.

I see that you are from a tropical area and I think that warm water fish respond well to a fast retrieve.   That not the case for Stripers.    Every rule has its exceptions, but generally speaking Stripers like a slow retrieve.   Being that you will be there in June, I think that you would do best fishing at night.     The general rule for fishing for Stripers at night is retrieve even slower...    painfully slow...  

On 5/7/2021 at 2:51 PM, mark d said:

If things go according to plan (when has that ever happened) I will be fishing the lower potomac in June. Surfcaster my whole life but never in striper country. I would appreciate any advice you guys might have.

Thanks

My first striper out of the Potomac came on a 1oz Rattletrap. This would have been in the occoquan creek area