RWP

It's time for a bigger boat, Nucanoe Pursuit or ......

16 posts in this topic

I have a Jackson Bite. I bought it thinking I would be fishing in the creeks and and ponds and I have found myself spending the majority of my time 1 to 3 miles out in the mouth of the Chesapeake.

I have no issues with the boat. It paddles my crap out there, it floats, it handles water that is too rough for me to fish without feeling like its going to go over etc.

My problem is the wind, and paddling into it. It's windy here, all the time. The boat is slow, like log raft slow and when the wind picks up it can be impossible to get it moving.

I know the obvious solutions are a motor or pedal drive, but right now I want to stay paddle powered. The recommendation from my not so local shop (3+ hours) is a Nucanoe Pursuit. It's the same width as my boat, 2 feet longer. He said it would be a "rocket ship" compared to what I have.

Does anyone have one?

Do you feel like its a fast boat?

Do you feel like I am going to give up stability? I also do a good amount of standing while in the tidal creeks and freshwater ponds, I don't want to give that up.

Is there a better boat that you would recommend?

Thanks

Length aside, the Pursuit is 35” wide, to paddle fast in wind something 26-30” wide may work better. ‘Standing and fast’ don’t really play well on kayaks!

4 mins ago, cheech said:

Length aside, the Pursuit is 35” wide, to paddle fast in wind something 26-30” wide may work better. ‘Standing and fast’ don’t really play well on kayaks!

That's what I was afraid of. I don't need it to be "fast" into the wind, but moveable into the wind would be nice.

If I were going out 1-3 miles, I'd either want a pedal kayak or something that was fast and easy to paddle.  You said you don't want a pedal kayak and you want to stand up.  That kind of keeps you in a wide barge that will be brutal to paddle far into the wind.

I think you are going to need to compromise on something here.

6 mins ago, atv223 said:

I think you are going to need to compromise on something here.

Understood. I was hoping that the pursuit was freakishly fast, or my boat was freakishly slow and the upgrade would be worth it.

Sounds like you need 2 yaks, I'd use what you have for stand up fishing and look for something cheap like a used trident 13 or tarpon that will be better at paddling the long trips.

I am a canoe guy but have spent lots of time in kayaks and Freedom Hawk Kayaks or a Wavewalk Kayak (double-hulled) are kayaks I would consider (as I like to stand and fish) and look to be better in the wind... Just a little out of the box thinking...

3 mins ago, nateD said:

Sounds like you need 2 yaks, I'd use what you have for stand up fishing and look for something cheap like a used trident 13 or tarpon that will be better at paddling the long trips.

If I only had the space for two. Right now my kayak lives on the roof of my car.

3 mins ago, Stripernut1 said:

I am a canoe guy but have spent lots of time in kayaks and Freedom Hawk Kayaks or a Wavewalk Kayak (double-hulled) are kayaks I would consider (as I like to stand and fish) and look to be better in the wind... Just a little out of the box thinking...

Interesting. Probably a little too out of the box for me to spend $2k on though.

If wind is your issue, a smaller and/or narrower yak is the ticket. 

You want to reduce the surface area to create drag in the wind.

Narrower kayaks will cut water better making it faster, but then you lose stability. 

So yeah, if you want to stand, then be ready for a slower wider yak, if you want speed and reduced drag, then you probably wouldnt want to stand in it.

The Pursuit is 82lbs., 35" wide and13' long, that is a heavy wide boat to ever be considered a fast or even good paddler, in comparrison, the Ocean Kayak Trident 13 is 79 lbs, 13'9' 29' wide, and the old school Prowler 13 is  28" wide, 13' and only 56 lbs. . Your not going to be able to paddle in three miles into a wind with a wide boat no matter the brand. Width and weight are both things a paddler has to overcome to move, I had an Ocean Kayak trident Ultra 14' long 29" and 75lbs., That was a much better paddler then my Trident 11, but times in Cheapeake bay while we were paddling our butts off trying to get back in when an old guy in a Hobie pedal drive paases us while drinking a coffee and is very relaxed is when I went pedal drive. Current boat is a Liquid Logic Manta Ray 12', 68lbs. 34" wide it is very easy to get around, . is great when lifting and moving kayak around. You are describing two totally different uses for two kayaks that if you dropped the "I have to stand to fish" you could get a comprimise boat if not your a two boat navy!

Thanks everyone. Looks like you saved me $1600 this year and I will deal with what I have for now.

Down the road I will hopefully have storage for 2 boats.

I have an OK trident ultra 4.3 and love how it paddles.  29” wide and very comfortable in chop and swells, and has a decent flare to the bow that helps keeping spray down.  I’m a klutz so standing is not for me in that yak.  Now to find a good seat.........that’s my next mission.

1 min ago, flies-n-plugs said:

I have an OK trident ultra 4.3 and love how it paddles.  29” wide and very comfortable in chop and swells, and has a decent flare to the bow that helps keeping spray down.  I’m a klutz so standing is not for me in that yak.  Now to find a good seat.........that’s my next mission.

That's the other thing that I left out, the seat a deal breaker/maker for me. Not the seat specifically, but the height. I need the seat to be at least 8" off the deck, if not more. Any less and my legs fall asleep within minutes. This isn't specific to kayaks, I can't even sit on the floor without it happening.

I've never seen a narrow kayak with a high seat (for good reason), so I might just be stuck with slow kayaks.

Then I’d guess you definitely need the lawn chair type seat and a wider boat to offset the higher COG.  I’m afraid to try a pedal yak fearing that I’d join the dark side, but I really do enjoy paddling myself