codfish

Small lures "2021"

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Headed off Cape today, stopped at one of the bigger shops, the guy behind the counter says "every one is looking for lures 2 oz and down, the 5 oz stuff we can't give it away" any idea why????

My guess is the rods guys are buying these days.  I find myself reaching for rods in the 1-3 oz range recently with smaller fish around 

2 hours ago, Bluetaildragger said:

My guess is the rods guys are buying these days.  I find myself reaching for rods in the 1-3 oz range recently with smaller fish around 

Good point:)

Don’t fish the cape but the 7/8 oz. SP was the ticket  for me. Bunker left my area early (they did come back) and the SP did well all of April for slot fish and over. Couldn’t get anything on larger bombers, etc.

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 hours ago, codfish said:

Headed off Cape today, stopped at one of the bigger shops, the guy behind the counter says "every one is looking for lures 2 oz and down, the 5 oz stuff we can't give it away" any idea why????

My thoughts on this is most of the " normal" fisherman go out of their way to match the lure  they are going to fish with to the size of the fish that seem to be prevalent which, is something I did for a long time until I began to think outside the box of normal fishing tactics.

At that point I began to think about the old adage, bigger bait bigger fish.

This meant upgrading my rods from 3/4 to 3 oz to 3-8 oz on the top end and it also coincided(actually a few years before) with my beginning to build my own lures to my own specifications,size ECT.

My knowing there were larger fish around that I was not catching forced me to think very deeply on this idea.

As bigger fish seem to lay lower, remain farther out and more wary I adopted new techniques at the time to be able to Target those fish.

Part of those techniques is getting the lure or plug, in my case farther out to areas that most people are not fishing at from shore.

My thought on that idea is the larger fish will be laying farther out in areas that are for lack of  better words untouched so to speak by noise of traffic along the shore, people, lures hitting the water that stuff.

I took that idea and thought very deeply on it even meditated on it I decided okay I bought a setup that was beefier and went out and implemented that idea/ plan to my sessions.

I ended up being  rewarded was much better size fish although fewer and at that point I knew I was onto something, something great.

Now I have to admit and be honest and tell the truth here that the people that I fish with which are few have not adopted that idea nor technique and still fish the same old way, needless to say  they have not stepped their game up at all or very little.

Even after watching me just catch several good fish right in front of them they still don't get it, I have led and shown by example and they still do it the same old way.

A well-rounded fisherman is able to adjust their techniques and skills to progress and not become stagnant in the way they fish.

This is what I believe is going on especially with newer fishermen fishing with lures that are small and that I would use for largemouth bass.

I know I know somebody here is going to think to say it or will say

Elephants eat peanuts yeah yeah yadda yadda,, thing is elephants only eat peanuts because people give them to them.

So thinking outside the box is not a bad thing especially in my progressions, progressing your skills your techniques and your outcome will become better and you don't remain stagnant.

We all know that certain times of year larger more likely to be around and we want to fish for them so why would you fish with the same small lures?

give them a meal, give them something substantial.

Don't give them a McDonald's regular hamburger when you can give them a double quarter pounder with cheese and they would enjoy eating it!

Just my thoughts on this thread and my $1.50 donation.

IMG_20201014_012415.jpg.bed39bd39354bab6986f254753efed43.jpg

HH

Ps-although it is spring, there are some fish that are larger present and my feeling on that is that all the larger fish don't spawn every year.

Also, the original poster never mentioned springtime so that's why I wrote what I wrote. 

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

HH, agree with your thoughts and fished that way to no avail last month. For some reason the bigger fish wanted a small profile in my area.

DC106834-C97B-4521-8DFD-6533E962B97C.jpeg

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, LowEnd said:

HH, agree with your thoughts and fished that way to no avail last month. For some reason the bigger fish wanted a small profile in my area.

Well, at least you tried and you should very well try again.

One of those tries you're going to get your arm stretched and your Rod bent , at that very point is when you cross over and you learn something and you keep doing it don't back off .

When adult bunkers are around you keep doing it.

It works even when there aren't any bunkers around.

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

12 hours ago, LowEnd said:

:)

19 hours ago, LowEnd said:

What were you fishing with?

HH

The 7/8 oz.SP. 
Been at this a long time, and yes, I know what works when the bunker are or aren’t around in the spring.

That little plug worked.

For some reason larger plugs weren’t working and even black plugs that were money for me over many years didn’t do it either.

5” magdarter got that 52” bass and a buddy of mine has been doing well with that plug as well.

Sometimes the fish will tell you they want something else.

On 5/7/2021 at 0:57 PM, codfish said:

I’m an MA guy, so That’s music to my ears. More for me.

I was worried this year would bring a huge influx of newly ordained trophy hunters clogging up some of my haunts after being inspired by some recent youtubers series/seminars that touted using large pikies, needlefish, and beast darters. But maybe not. Fingers crossed. I like being alone.