Bridgehamptom

Upgrading my 9' surf rod - how much difference will I notice?

Rate this topic

69 posts in this topic

@tcarroll 

cool, glad it's not just me about the size of the Salty 6k.  :)

Thank you for adding your experience with it well.  I actually canceled my order for the Penn Torque 2 5500...i just like the feel of the Salty 6k, even more once mounted.  I'm probably going to start a discussion of it and other gear I'm picking up that is/are a pleasant surprise from the old gear i used when i last wet a line in anger.  For now though i am actually very impressed with it's build quality.  Once i start using it a few days a week I'll know more. 

Later today I'll at least be playing around casting it on the new budget 10' Rockaway Surf.  Now that rod also was a fun surprise already.  I was actually concerned it was going to be stiffer so it would struggle casting 3/4oz+ artificals.  It's so lightweight weight with a ton more spring in it's step.  I bought it totally as a blind luck thing.  It was a fast not too spendy rod not a choice based on much more than WAG.  I actually find it do lively i have concerns it's max 4oz weight could s be too much for it...for the $86 it cost I'm really happy with it as well. 

1 hour ago, tcarroll said:

14 hours ago, rkw said:

One last add about this rod, it is NOT made for typical bait fishing on the surf

Agree with you on this 150%

:howdy: 

Rockaway Surf rods are not made for bait fishing.

That was a reason that Okuma came with Rockaway HD serials.

Almost a same, light, blank,only combination of 24/30 toncarbon while regular Rockaway are 24- ton carbon, little bit different components,  70/30 split and much heavier rating.

There are two versions in 10' length HD, M 1- 4oz and MH 2-6oz

Posted (edited) · Report post

@Popasilov  sooooo, the HD and the Surf are the same only different?  snickersnicker... ;) 

Thanks for clarifying that for me...I honestly didn't look that closely at the Okuma site to get the details.  I think this one is definitely going to be fun to use and I sort of lucked out in buying it.

Edited by rkw

3 mins ago, rkw said:

@Popasilov  sooooo, the HD and the Surf are the same only different?  snickersnicker... ;) 

Major difference are

Split: Surf is 50/50, HD is 70/30

Blank: Surf is 24-ton carbon, HD is 24/30-ton carbon

Guides: Surf has XQ 316-Steinless steel Sea Guides, HD has XQH 316-Stainless Steel guides.

Reel seat: Surf is locking from the top, HD is locking from the bottom

Seat lock: Surfe has a single, HD has a double reel lock.

PS

I have no idea what is a difference between XQ and XQH; guessing that XQH may be stronger

I have a 10' 6" mojo surf 2-6 oz moderate fast conventional rod that I originally bought to be a chunking rod.

I liked it so much that I put my plugging reel on it (lexa300), I cut 4 inches off the butt and it is now my 10ft do all rod. 

I prefer a ten footer for plugging now. It can tend to wear me out a little faster but I have adapted my fishing style to make it work. 

I can cast bigger lures father than almost anyone on the beach, and still have enough sensitivity to throw and fish jigs and tin down to 1oz for the cocktails and fluke. 

A ten foot rod with medium fast action let's you own cows and gorillas from the sand.  

That being said, I recommend any mojo surf rod 9-10 feet for the surf. Great rods with a 5 year warranty. 

On 6/5/2021 at 8:32 AM, Popasilov said:

Major difference are

Split: Surf is 50/50, HD is 70/30

Blank: Surf is 24-ton carbon, HD is 24/30-ton carbon

Guides: Surf has XQ 316-Steinless steel Sea Guides, HD has XQH 316-Stainless Steel guides.

Reel seat: Surf is locking from the top, HD is locking from the bottom

Seat lock: Surfe has a single, HD has a double reel lock.

PS

I have no idea what is a difference between XQ and XQH; guessing that XQH may be stronger

btw, that was a joke but I didn't set it up right.  Many years ago I had golden retrievers and kids, not just one, but sort of toddler age would come up to pet and play with him telling me they had a dog just link him at home, only different....so oops on my part and thanls for the added detail.  :D

On 6/3/2021 at 6:10 PM, Popasilov said:

Would love to hear field practice results.

yay!!  I actually got smarter than the rube goldberg device I bought to spool my reels.  It's pretty nifty after all.  So I just now got the Salty 6k spooled up with about 50yrd of 25lb mono backing and about 250yds of...ummm, wait lemme go look...Power Pro SS8 v2.  So manana I'll walk out to the practice field and take a few million casts to get a feel for both it on the Rockaway Surf and how my new to Penn 113N works with the really el cheapo SeaKnight Blade Nylon which is supposed to be 30lb but sizes out as about 17ln based on diameter.  Meh, I just bought it because I thought the black color was a fun.  Yeah, I am now at that point in life where just having that 2nd childhood and doing off the wall stuff seems ok since I no longer care what anyone thinks of it, I'm having fun either way. :p

But tomorrow evening for sure I'll post what the casting felt like and some distance estimations from different weights up to 3oz, maybe 4oz if I'm feeling adventurous.

12 hours ago, rkw said:

Yeah, I am now at that point in life where just having that 2nd childhood and doing off the wall stuff seems ok since I no longer care what anyone thinks of it, I'm having fun either way. :p

That is exactly how I feel.

I am fishing because I like it; no need to show off to neighbors and friends and I do not care what they think.

Every time I come back from fishing I am telling neighbors I didn't catch anything.

Edited by Popasilov