Bridgehamptom

Upgrading my 9' surf rod - how much difference will I notice?

Rate this topic

69 posts in this topic

I would highly suggest feeling the 1-4 Mojo in person before you buy it.  It is WAY stiffer than you'd think.  The 3/4-4 is far more enjoyable, imo.  

3 hours ago, TLap21 said:

I would highly suggest feeling the 1-4 Mojo in person before you buy it.  It is WAY stiffer than you'd think.  The 3/4-4 is far more enjoyable, imo.  

I agree. I made this mistake a few years back, the store only had the 1-4 so I got it thinking it wouldn’t make a difference. I was wrong, probably the most unpleasant feeling rod I’ve ever tried to use, way too stiff for my liking. Sold it and got the 3/4-4 which has a more moderate action and is a fantastic plugging rod. 

I finally got to test my 10’6” Shinano Tiralejo and I love it. It casts an absolute mile and I doubt my old 9’ Tica will get much use. 

here is an album with some pics from my first two days:

https://imgur.com/gallery/mdKeG9x

I had the rod in the surf in the Atlantic, fast water in a channel in the Peconic Bay, at the Shinnecock Inlet and I fished a bridge and a back area of Shinnecock Bay. 

At one point in Shinnecock I was the only one catching bluefish because I was the only one casting far enough. Given I am widely known as the worst fisherman on Long Island this was a somewhat unusual situation for me. I put 30# power pro braid on a 6000 shinano reel and I was casting sp minnows so, so far. I don’t know how many yards but it was much farther than I could cast with my old 9’ rod. 

I was throwing a 3 oz pyramid weight super easy from the surf. I wanted to try fishing with bait since it was a mid day beach session under the sun. I reeled in a little clearnose skate using sand fleas and I didn’t even realize anything was on the line. But the rod was super fun to handle big bluefish! 

Anyway thanks to all for the help selecting a new rod. I did manage to find something nice off Amazon, and it the medium power, mod fast action seems very well suited to the many situations I am facing here on the east end of Long Island. 

https://imgur.com/gallery/mdKeG9x

I just did a similar thing--upgrade from a $100 class rod, 11 footer in my case, to the TRS106MA (your rod). The 106 is so much faster, so much stiffer than the any of the other rods I've used. It casts really nicely, even smaller stuff. Very pleased with the purchase.

I do find that this rod is more tiring than the much softer 11 footer I'd been using. I don't think it will work well for short casting situations where you don't want to have to hold the rod butt on the retrieve. OTOH, maybe my arm will get stronger using it and that will go away.  

2 hours ago, TopStriperAngler said:

I do find that this rod is more tiring than the much softer 11 footer I'd been using. I don't think it will work well for short casting situations where you don't want to have to hold the rod butt on the retrieve. OTOH, maybe my arm will get stronger using it and that will go away.  

Sounds like a great reason to buy a smaller inshore rod - like a 7-8 footer for throwing smaller bucktails and soft plastics. ;)

On 5/26/2021 at 1:56 AM, TLap21 said:

I have the 10'6" 3/4-4oz and I like it a lot.  A very capable rod.

On 5/8/2021 at 5:25 AM, Popasilov said:

Take a look at the Okuma Rockaway rods, also.

Their 10' may be in your range.

You will have 3 choices

ML 1/2 to 2 oz

M 3/4 to 3oz  and

MH 1 to 4oz

Price is around $100

Great rods for great price.

As it happens I have the 10' MH on the way for the new SaltX 6k....needed a decent rod just to get used to the SaltX 6000.  It is here at the PO and I'll be heading over there today or Friday to pick it up.  Will likely get out there on the practice field to get a feel for the reel, rod & braid.  I'll share any info that seems worth noting.  

17 hours ago, rkw said:

As it happens I have the 10' MH on the way for the new SaltX 6k....needed a decent rod just to get used to the SaltX 6000.  It is here at the PO and I'll be heading over there today or Friday to pick it up.  Will likely get out there on the practice field to get a feel for the reel, rod & braid.  I'll share any info that seems worth noting.  

Would love to hear field practice results.

On 5/7/2021 at 10:19 AM, MattieG said:

I’m a little confused by your post. Are you basically looking for a do it all rod? I mean because you mention bait, jigs, and poppers.

The mojo surf is a decent rod. Is it going to feel better than your Tica you mention? I have no idea. The 9’ should be fine for plugging or throwing some metals. Throwing bait? I’d go bigger.

The 10' 6" Mojo was designed to be an all purpose rod

9 hours ago, Popasilov said:

Would love to hear field practice results.

for sure...I'm picking up the spoils of this past week's sport shopping for fishing gear.  I grabbed a SaltX 6000 so will put line on it tomorrow sometime then likely go do some practicing Saturday & Sunday.  I'll share my impressions ASAP. 

5 hours ago, rkw said:

for sure...I'm picking up the spoils of this past week's sport shopping for fishing gear.  I grabbed a SaltX 6000 so will put line on it tomorrow sometime then likely go do some practicing Saturday & Sunday.  I'll share my impressions ASAP. 

Great

Only thing, but this just for my liking, SaltX 6K may be to big reel.

But that is me.

I do not use anything bigger than 4K for plugging and lures with those rods.

11 mins ago, Popasilov said:

Great

Only thing, but this just for my liking, SaltX 6K may be to big reel.

But that is me.

I do not use anything bigger than 4K for plugging and lures with those rods.

definitely hear ya about the size.  I have a different brand 5500 on the way too but it hasn't shipped just yet. 

I'm used to using a mid-size spinning reel from when I was younger so hoping the 6000 will be more flexible for me.  I'd happier being a bit over powered than under.  But yup the 6k is overkill but only by one size level... i hope ;)

5 hours ago, rkw said:

definitely hear ya about the size.  I have a different brand 5500 on the way too but it hasn't shipped just yet. 

I'm used to using a mid-size spinning reel from when I was younger so hoping the 6000 will be more flexible for me.  I'd happier being a bit over powered than under.  But yup the 6k is overkill but only by one size level... i hope ;)

Like I said, it is just me.

I have two 10" Rockaway ML and M paired both with Okuma RTX .40S

My 11" Rockaway is paired with entry level Daiwa 4K.

I am still debating what reel will be permanent on my 12" RockawayMH but most likely same Daiwa, 4K

I have a BG 4500 but it is too much for my liking on those rods.

@Popasilov

Hey ya....I grabbed the Salty 6k from the PO a few hours ago.  The Okuma Rockaway Surf Ra-s-1002mh 10' MH 1-4oz, 12-20lb.

I have to say it is far more limp-wristed than I expected.  It is a finesse rod for sure, at least for how I fish.  That is not a complaint at all, in fact I am really pleased it is a far lighter action than I anticipated.  I don't have the advantage of being able to handle modern surf rods because all we have is Walmart or Big 5 both with the saddest fishing sections I could have imagined.  Walmart actually tries but they just are still not where I would hope even if they devoted both sides of a 40ft isle to fishing gear.

I think you might be right that for a lot of people the Salty 6k might seem too much for the rod.  I don't agree with it.  It feels fine for me but remember I haven't fished the surf for a bit over two decades so I am used to much different gear in terms of reels and rods.  To me this Rockaway Surf feels like the old ca. 70s & 80s Fugly Sticks.  I sure don't feel I might trust it being able to handle a 4oz payload at all.  At the same time I feel it has backbone to handle most any surf species we have here in SoCal (I'm not really SoCal but not NoCal either...definitely a tweener spot but w/o the wider selection of sports species of the more norther or more southern parts of the CA coast.)

I am going to spool up some mono backing then 300yds of PowerPro SSV2 40lb to be tipped by the leader which makes sense for whatever I am doing...likely a 15-50lb mono of some sort depending just how toothy what I'm hunting can do to a line when they are angry.  ;)

I really like the way this rod ended up in that it has a nice action I feel totally confident it can handle the 1oz-3oz range but might be ok with as low as 1/2oz if the winds are low...but 3/4oz for sure.  It actually feels lighter action than my old ca '70s era Eagle Claw medium-medium 6ft rods.  And those could manage 1/4oz-1oz easily.  It is going to be fun as a hardware slinger in maybe even out the the 2nd bar under good conditions.  Definitely beyond the 1st bar.

More this weekend once I drag it out to the practice field (tough walk, 200yrd across the street...ug, trudging across level land carrying 3lb of gear is just soooo tiring.  hehehehe....

As for the reel...it is much smaller than I expected.  It is just a hair bulkier than my old Mitchell-Garcia 302.  It feels nice, for me, on the rod.  I tend to like a more botto9m heavy feel, balance was never a thing for me to get distance but I am a bigger stronger sort of guy...hoooowever, not so much anymore.  I have pretty advanced rheumatoid arthritis as well as wear & tear osteoarthritis from typing over 1,000,000 lines of program code in my life.  Currently I am looking at the real possibility of knuckle replacement surgery (yeah they can d that now...who the heck knew that???) but I am super reluctant as while my hands are never not in pain, even with meds, I like being able to use them even in a more limited fashion.  But never going to go with fusion...replacement maybe if we try the left hand first.  That means fatigue might definitely be an issue but I don't feel for me it is due to the weight but rather the fact my hands are not as willing as once upon a time.  I think most fisherfolk could adapt to the weight if they wanted to put in the work to get used to it.  

One last add about this rod, it is NOT made for typical bait fishing on the surf.  Unless there is almost zero surf it is going to over read every wave or wiggle from the surf.

11 hours ago, rkw said:

As for the reel...it is much smaller than I expected.   

I agree with you about the reel. It seems on the small side for a 6000. It's more like 5000 compared to Penn reels.... to me anyway.

BTW, I know a lot of people have had problems with the Salt-X but mine has been trouble free since early last fall when I got it.