Bridgehamptom

Upgrading my 9' surf rod - how much difference will I notice?

Rate this topic

69 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, DeepBlue85 said:

It seems to me anglers today place quite a lot of emphasis on rod choice and given the dozens of options out there tailored for surf fishing, the obsession is understandable.  With all the noise about lightest, strongest, fastest, slowest or most cost effective...yada yadda yada.... I feel lamiglas is being overlooked, specifically the gsb line of blanks.

I know there's a huge following spanning decades for the gsb and I'm one of them.  The line of rods covers everything surf fishing, period.  Their time tested, proven and with modern lines, guides and light reels...they accomplish everything new anglers need and because of their reputation, are used religiously by life long surf anglers confidently.  

A couple ounces makes zero difference in your cast or ability to fish all night.......

Picking a rod model and sticking with it goes a long way in refining your approach and removing the guesswork every time you walk out a new rod, stick with gsb.  Their still the best and most cost effective / durable rods on the market and with modern upgrades, cant be beat.  

I think all those die hard Lami/GSB guys are mostly still fishing their old rods. There no denying at one point they were bulletproof and are still keeping up in 2021. But the amount of stories i hear and see of the new Lamis blowing up and being pieces of crap are insane. Not to mention their customer service is in the dumpster nowadays. An old lami is king, but personally i wont touch a newer one. I see alot of people thinking the same way 

Posted (edited) · Report post

First iv heard of that and having purchased two new blanks in the last two years my self, hard to bellieve.  

Some of the older run of blanks did have defects however if anything, iv noticed a dramatic improvement in their quality control.  

Their service absolutly sucks though, you're correct about that.

Edited by DeepBlue85

Many of us have multiple rods and reels for different conditions and spots.  Not every rod is suitable for every spot:howdy:

On 5/7/2021 at 10:05 AM, Bridgehamptom said:

but I never felt confident with jigs, the rod seemed overpowered with weight, the rod struggles with poppers

^ ^ ^

This statement alone tells me that you should stay away from a 1-4 rated rod. Especially the St Croix with those ratings. They will be much to stiff to throw the lighter jigs and poppers.

Sounds to me, you will me more satisfied with a more moderate, to moderate fast action rod. Something that can throw the light stuff without losing sensitivity. Also, you should move up to a 10’6”

With your $300.00 budget you have many choices.You should feel a few at the tackle shop to make that decision, but here would be my picks.

Shimano Tiralejo 10’6” 1-3.5. You will not regret this purchase. These are some of the best surf rods, price no object. I fish this rod, and the 9’6”.  They are very satisfying. I would say they compare right up there with my more expensive Century’s. I’m actually considering doubling up and buying backups of the same models I use, just in case Shimano decides to change them with a newer model. Hard to believe they could be improved. Also the fit and finish is light years better than the Tica.

My 2nd choice for 250.00 and under would be the Mojo 10’6” 3/4-4.

I recommend ONLY this model Mojo for the type of fishing you want to do. It’s moderate enough to throw the light stuff while giving you a decent top end of around 3oz. I know this model has been around for awhile, but there is a reason why. It’s still a winner. St Croix  is a great company with the best customer service. Fish this rod awhile and then upgrade to a higher model, through there upgrade program.

I can recommend a dozen different rods, but I would look at these 2 for the type of fishing you do. 

Edited by Tagman
mistyped rod rating

I ended up buying a 10'6" Shimano Tiralego rated for 1-3.5 oz. It will be the bigger brother to my Tica in my surf rod lineup and they will share a Shimano Sacorro 6000 reel for now. I caught a bunch of stripers and blues on the Tica, and it will be a great rod for my in-laws when they visit. 

I'm assuming this Tiralego will be my most-used rod for the rest of the summer. It should throw all my standard lures I take everywhere both in the bays and the ocean. But I'm hoping it will shine in the ocean surf, where my Tica feels outgunned sometimes. Reviewers said the rod is comfortable over 4 oz, compared to the Tica struggling with 3oz, so it will take larger lures & bait in higher winds/current situations. 

At some point I would love to try a longer surf rod - like 11 or 12'. And I'd love a smaller inshore rod for throwing soft plastics in the bays. 

It was difficult to shop for rods on Amazon. The selection is poor and finding the correct variant (length, power, action) was difficult. Ultimately this is why I pulled the trigger on the Tiralego - I found the 10'6" 1-3.5 on the site and I couldn't even find other brands. 

On 5/7/2021 at 10:05 AM, Bridgehamptom said:

My do-everything daily rod is a 9-foot Tica that's throws the perfect size bait (1/2 to 3oz) for my area of Long Island. I learned to fish on this rod but I never felt confident with jigs, the rod seemed overpowered with weight, the rod struggles with poppers, and I always wondered what it would be like to use a better rod. This of course is likely the fault of the fisherman, but let's pretend that these problems can be fixed by spending some cash on a new rod. 

I recently received an Amazon gift card and I'm going to buy a new rod. 

Help me think through my 2 options:

* Do I upgrade my do-everything, daily rod with something awesome? I found a 9' St Croix Mojo surf rod rated 1-4 oz, looks perfect for my region but would I really notice a difference? I'm tempted to go this route. 

* Or do I move to a 2 rod setup, with my Tica remaining my daily workhorse, but adding a new larger 10'6" or 11' surf rod? 

I don't have a lot of experience using different rods. My Tica was my first ever rod that I owned. 

The rods seems fine.  I would save the money and get a high end reel if you dont have it.  VS 150 is a perfect size reel for a 9ft rod.  Its a reel that will last you forever(with occasional maintenance) and its 100% water proof.

As for rods, i dont think you will feel too much difference with a 9' mojo to your Tica.  Ratings are almost the same.  Sounds like you want a faster rod.  If so, the 9' TFO rod is an excellent choice.  For something not as fast, i do like the 9' Jigging World Shadow surf rods.

One final thing I'll add. I'm interested to see how the new Shimano 10'6" rod works with smaller lures in the 1-1.5oz range. And how it compares to my old Tica rod for bay fishing.

My assumption is the Shimano will definitely be better for ocean beach (longer casts, heavier lures and bait) and I cannot wait to fish the surf this summer. But I wonder will the new rod also be better for bay fishing?

This spring I've been successful fishing the bays with lures like 1 1/4 oz Hydro Minnow LC 6" in wonderbread from Yo Zuri, and the 1oz 5" swim shad in Pearl from Tsunami. I'm curious how the new Shimano 10'6" will perform with these same 1 to 1.5oz class of lures.   

I cannot wait to test it out. 

I like my Tsunami Salt x rod which is under $300 on Amazon.  1/2oz - 2 1/2 oz.  Great action too. I throw everything from 1/2 oz bucktails to pencil poppers.

Edited by Jimo95

13 hours ago, DeepBlue85 said:

First iv heard of that and having purchased two new blanks in the last two years my self, hard to bellieve.  

Some of the older run of blanks did have defects however if anything, iv noticed a dramatic improvement in their quality control.  

Their service absolutly sucks though, you're correct about that.

Take a look in any lami thread recently and theres always people talking about how their rods didnt live up to the reputation.

Their service needs a serious overhaul if they dont wanna get run out business. Any thought in my mind of buying Lami went out the window last year when i spent over a month on the phone, email, and 2 social medias trying to contact them and never got through once 

11 hours ago, Mlima5 said:

Take a look in any lami thread recently and theres always people talking about how their rods didnt live up to the reputation.

Their service needs a serious overhaul if they dont wanna get run out business. Any thought in my mind of buying Lami went out the window last year when i spent over a month on the phone, email, and 2 social medias trying to contact them and never got through once 

I posted a year or two ago about a lengthy customer service incident with their understaffed reps.  Their service leaves much to be desired but I haven't noticed anything negative in their new products.   Old run blanks had bad batches from time to time but I havent had any problems at all with blanks purchased as recently as last year.  

In 20 years not one has failed, I havent found anything wrong with the quality of new blanks with two purchased, built and fished last year steadily without issue.  I stick with what works and diving into the modern rod market just isnt a rabbit hole I want to be bothered with.

I will say though, part of what makes the gsb is the cost....which have steadily risen in the past 20 years.  With poor marketing an rising cost of blanks, their driving new buyers to consider other companies with better marketing at a price point close to that of the gsb.  In my opinion the company is being mismanaged and ignoring the changing spectrum within one of their primary markets.  

Edited by DeepBlue85

I'm sure it's been mentioned here, but have you checked out the 10'6 ODM DNA? The 9' Mojo Surf will not be a big upgrade for you IMO. You can have a two rod setup and then sell the Tica on BST if you'd like.

On 5/9/2021 at 0:10 PM, Bridgehamptom said:

One final thing I'll add. I'm interested to see how the new Shimano 10'6" rod works with smaller lures in the 1-1.5oz range. And how it compares to my old Tica rod for bay fishing.

My assumption is the Shimano will definitely be better for ocean beach (longer casts, heavier lures and bait) and I cannot wait to fish the surf this summer. But I wonder will the new rod also be better for bay fishing?

This spring I've been successful fishing the bays with lures like 1 1/4 oz Hydro Minnow LC 6" in wonderbread from Yo Zuri, and the 1oz 5" swim shad in Pearl from Tsunami. I'm curious how the new Shimano 10'6" will perform with these same 1 to 1.5oz class of lures.   

I cannot wait to test it out. 

Were you able to test it out? And what reel are you using with the Tiralejo?

On 5/15/2021 at 4:32 PM, SimonC86 said:

Were you able to test it out? And what reel are you using with the Tiralejo?

The rod just arrived today and I'll be able to test it out this week under the full moon tides. I'm going after big bluefish here in the bays of Long Island. 

I need to spool up some new braid on a Shimano Sacorro 6000 reel which I'm pairing with the new Shimano Tiralego 10'6" rod. I don't know what kind / test of braid I need - the guides are apparently 'meant for braid' although I'm not sure how that will impact my line selection. 

First impressions - build quality seems really nice and I think the rod will impart great action on the lures I like to throw. 

1 min ago, Bridgehamptom said:

The rod just arrived today and I'll be able to test it out this week under the full moon tides. I'm going after big bluefish here in the bays of Long Island. 

I need to spool up some new braid on a Shimano Sacorro 6000 reel which I'm pairing with the new Shimano Tiralego 10'6" rod. I don't know what kind / test of braid I need - the guides are apparently 'meant for braid' although I'm not sure how that will impact my line selection. 

First impressions - build quality seems really nice and I think the rod will impart great action on the lures I like to throw. 

Nice!  I purchased a Century Sling Shot which is coming tomorrow but looking at the weather might not be able to fish till Monday.