Bridgehamptom

Upgrading my 9' surf rod - how much difference will I notice?

Rate this topic

69 posts in this topic

26 mins ago, CaryGreene said:

Ohh, okay, well in that case, an 8'6" rod would be ideal, especially if it threw 1/2 oz to 2 1/2 oz. Century makes the Slingshot SS1025 which does exactly that & it's a 2pc rod. Great rod & portable. $427.99 on most sites. 

You don't need a long rod & they aren't as good for lighter lures & soft plastics anyway. Longer = progressively more difficult to operate with a single hand & impart action on the lure. I LOVE longer rods for out front & for plugging, but based on where you're fishing, 8'6" to 9' range is preferable 

Stepping down slightly, Lammy does a GSB91LS, 9' 1-piece (not so portable), 1/2 to 2 oz $399 - super choice for the kind of fishing you're doing. 

Shimano's Tiralejo TRS96MA is 9'6" 3/4 to 3 oz $300 so that would be a within the budget huge upgrade from the Tica & better than a St. Croix Mojo.

ODM's DNA NXD935 is 9' 1/2 oz to 3 1/2 oz $250 and that's a very nice mid priced rod that will not let you down. 

The St. Croix Mojo MSS90MM2 is 9' 3/4 to 4 oz $210 and that would be a very friendly price point for all you get & it will perform very nicely with plenty of ability to huck long casts. 

thanks for all these suggestions. This is great. 

Just wanted ti mention the airwave 9’6”elite. 
this is a cery nice rod upgrade from 9’ if you are looking for something a bit longer without committing to a true big stick. A plus here would be that you may be able to run the same reel you had on your 9 footer. 

Take a look at the Okuma Rockaway rods, also.

Their 10' may be in your range.

You will have 3 choices

ML 1/2 to 2 oz

M 3/4 to 3oz  and

MH 1 to 4oz

Price is around $100

Great rods for great price.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I was in the same predicament last year, here's what I learned since:

Mojo is a nice rod with great warranty. Only 2 mojos will not be "stiff" - 9' and 10'6  3/4-4. They will not throw in the upper range too well, they are a different animal compared to 1-4 and 2-6 rods in the lineup. I did get myself a 9' and I did feel jealous at a guy with a 10'6 who walked by in windy weather. Maybe 10'6 is better for you here if you decide to go this way, since you already have a 9'.

Mojo is made from sc2, which really is a dated tech. I slighly regret not buying something newer. Newer could be lighter, could also launch further because of the faster tip. I think Tiralejo could be an amazing rod for you, maybe even a 9'6 version. I think it's truly the best rocket launcher you can find for $300, it has great reviews. Airwave Elite is another rod that's very highly recommended literally by everyone that used it. Read more about these two.

You can't have one rod for everything, popping and plugging requires entirely different characteristics compared to jigging. If you are looking for a rod that is a bit stiffer and can throw heavier - I don't know enough about it, I think you could even look at BH striper rods.

Edited by ifishthebadspots

4 hours ago, redfin said:

Just wanted ti mention the airwave 9’6”elite. 
this is a cery nice rod upgrade from 9’ if you are looking for something a bit longer without committing to a true big stick. A plus here would be that you may be able to run the same reel you had on your 9 footer. 

I made this upgrade for the Jersey shore and am happy I did.  Rod throws everything well and I think was just under or just over $200.  Used my same reel with it, Slammer III 4500.

At this point I am leaning towards keeping the 9 footer and adding a 10'6" rod. Something that can produce long casts into wind, in big surf...maybe fishing a bit of lures (bottles, poppers, minnows), bucktails (2-4oz?), and maybe some cut bait. 

I saw these two rods on Amazon

Shimano Tiralejo 10'6"; 1-3.5 oz, mod fast action $300

https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Tiralejo-2-Piece-Spinning-Fishing/dp/B00KQ5CEMQ/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=shimano+surf+fishing+rods&qid=1620486114&sr=8-3

Tsunami Airways Elite Surf Spinning Rod 10'6"; 1-3.5oz, Medium Heavy action $210

https://www.amazon.com/Tsunami-Airwave-Elite-Spinning-TSAWESS-1062MH/dp/B00ED36JJQ/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=tsunami+airwaves+elite&qid=1620488888&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-5

It seems to me anglers today place quite a lot of emphasis on rod choice and given the dozens of options out there tailored for surf fishing, the obsession is understandable.  With all the noise about lightest, strongest, fastest, slowest or most cost effective...yada yadda yada.... I feel lamiglas is being overlooked, specifically the gsb line of blanks.

I know there's a huge following spanning decades for the gsb and I'm one of them.  The line of rods covers everything surf fishing, period.  Their time tested, proven and with modern lines, guides and light reels...they accomplish everything new anglers need and because of their reputation, are used religiously by life long surf anglers confidently.  

A couple ounces makes zero difference in your cast or ability to fish all night.......

Picking a rod model and sticking with it goes a long way in refining your approach and removing the guesswork every time you walk out a new rod, stick with gsb.  Their still the best and most cost effective / durable rods on the market and with modern upgrades, cant be beat.  

Edited by DeepBlue85

On 5/7/2021 at 2:23 PM, Bridgehamptom said:

I am on the south fork in the town of Southampton - I have a town parking sticker. So I am fishing places like around Sag Harbor, little coves off the Peconics in Noyack, last night I fished a narrows in Shinnecock Bay. I surf cast into the ocean. Targeting stripers and blues. I am not fishing Montauk or the inlet. 

My current rod is a Tica TC2 - Medium Power, Mod Fast Action 9' rated for 1/2 to 3 oz. I got it on Nantucket in 2012, it was this tackle shops budget rod/reel combo. Right now the last guide is bent and the handle is a little rough. 

My family did give me Amazon gift cards and they all made a big deal about the gift and I am definitely gonna send them a picture of me fishing with the new rod! So it has to be Amazon for this. As others have said, finding inventory has been a real challenge. I saw the Mojo on Amazon and thought maybe I'd get the 9 footer as a replacement to my Tica. 

I'd love to find a 9' to 10'6" rod I can bring to the back bays and into the surf. My current rod is the perfect size but I really want to upgrade to something newer. I think 1-4oz is the sweet spot for the kind of fishing I am doing. I could go a little bigger for the surf/wind. I don't do a lot of live bait

I think I need a nicer main rod. 

I usually run light gear, i have two rods that throw 1-2oz. Perfectly. This year I went big and got a diawa ballistic rated 2-8oz or something like that. All are between 10-12 feet. My smaller rods are whippy, and the big rod it pretty stiff.

the diawa was an unbelievable difference in terms of casting distance and lure weight range, I can take the same pulgs (1oz.) and cast them just as far as I could with my smaller rods (dark matter open beach) but now I’m not limited on lure selection, and throw heavier plugs ridiculous distances in comparison to my smaller rods. 

so for me is was a massive change.

42 mins ago, DeepBlue85 said:

It seems to me anglers today place quite a lot of emphasis on rod choice and given the dozens of options out there tailored for surf fishing, the obsession is understandable.  With all the noise about lightest, strongest, fastest, slowest or most cost effective...yada yadda yada.... I feel lamiglas is being overlooked, specifically the gsb line of blanks.

I know there's a huge following spanning decades for the gsb and I'm one of them.  The line of rods covers everything surf fishing, period.  Their time tested, proven and with modern lines, guides and light reels...they accomplish everything new anglers need and because of their reputation, are used religiously by life long surf anglers confidently.  

A couple ounces makes zero difference in your cast or ability to fish all night.......

Picking a rod model and sticking with it goes a long way in refining your approach and removing the guesswork every time you walk out a new rod, stick with gsb.  Their still the best and most cost effective / durable rods on the market and with modern upgrades, cant be beat.  

100%! Can’t agree more.

You may discover you like the Tica you have best. You would probably notice a difference, again, maybe not a difference you want. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Spend your money on something else.

if you do purchase a rod ,Don't short change your self find a 11'6''or longer and now you will have two rods ,one that you Will throw between a 100-125 yards with a plug and the first rod is what it is ...but at least your not under gunned given the amount of money your spending ...Will a 13 foot run of the mill rod throw as far as a century probably not but it will keep you in the game...breakaway l d x are around 250 and wil! Throw 5 oz over 130 yds ...Cabelas has a 12 foot salt striker that throws 4 ounce led in excess of 115 yds.all distances  mentioned are measured from a modified side arm cast ...nothing fancy....as one member posted you can't buy distance,casting technique is critical ....don't worry it's only money lol lol lol

27 mins ago, LowEnd said:

100%! Can’t agree more.

If you watch the YouTube channel WWJ

whipping with Joe from Hawaii he uses one outfit only. I think a 7 ft Fenwick HMG inshore. He pops 2 oz poppers for big fish then switches to a Carolina rig 1/2 sinker grub combo for 

small fish. 

I line idea of stripping g the rod and placing lighter guides in it and maybe new grip . 

Edited by jeffapeikin