Bridgehamptom

Upgrading my 9' surf rod - how much difference will I notice?

Rate this topic

69 posts in this topic

My do-everything daily rod is a 9-foot Tica that's throws the perfect size bait (1/2 to 3oz) for my area of Long Island. I learned to fish on this rod but I never felt confident with jigs, the rod seemed overpowered with weight, the rod struggles with poppers, and I always wondered what it would be like to use a better rod. This of course is likely the fault of the fisherman, but let's pretend that these problems can be fixed by spending some cash on a new rod. 

I recently received an Amazon gift card and I'm going to buy a new rod. 

Help me think through my 2 options:

* Do I upgrade my do-everything, daily rod with something awesome? I found a 9' St Croix Mojo surf rod rated 1-4 oz, looks perfect for my region but would I really notice a difference? I'm tempted to go this route. 

* Or do I move to a 2 rod setup, with my Tica remaining my daily workhorse, but adding a new larger 10'6" or 11' surf rod? 

I don't have a lot of experience using different rods. My Tica was my first ever rod that I owned. 

I’m a little confused by your post. Are you basically looking for a do it all rod? I mean because you mention bait, jigs, and poppers.

The mojo surf is a decent rod. Is it going to feel better than your Tica you mention? I have no idea. The 9’ should be fine for plugging or throwing some metals. Throwing bait? I’d go bigger.

Honestly if you already have a 9’, looking to get another rod, I’d probably go with a larger size. Then you have 2 classes of rods to choose.

I have $200-300 to spend on a rod. I'm fishing way more than ever before and a couple guides have bent and there are other issues on my rod. 

I want to replace my 9' rod with something nicer. This 9' length will always be my most-used rod, it goes from ocean surf to the Peconics and smaller back bays. 

I agree a 10'6" or 11' surf rod would be a fun new toy. It would get me fishing on higher wind, higher surf days at the beach. 

what would you get for a 9' or 10-11' surf rods? 

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, Bridgehamptom said:

My do-everything daily rod is a 9-foot Tica that's throws the perfect size bait (1/2 to 3oz) for my area of Long Island. I learned to fish on this rod but I never felt confident with jigs, the rod seemed overpowered with weight, the rod struggles with poppers, and I always wondered what it would be like to use a better rod. This of course is likely the fault of the fisherman, but let's pretend that these problems can be fixed by spending some cash on a new rod. 

* Do I upgrade my do-everything, daily rod with something awesome? I found a 9' St Croix Mojo surf rod rated 1-4 oz, looks perfect for my region but would I really notice a difference? I'm tempted to go this route. 

* Or do I move to a 2 rod setup, with my Tica remaining my daily workhorse, but adding a new larger 10'6" or 11' surf rod? 

I don't have a lot of experience using different rods. My Tica was my first ever rod that I owned. 

What 9 footer ? Tica  Dolphin? 
What area of LI?

I think a 9 footer is a great rod for the north shore and bays. SS beaches and out east in some places a larger stick would be better.

A bigger rod may most likely need a bigger reel too.

Edited by redfin

The 9’ and 10’ mojos are much stiffer than your tica which might be what you are looking for to use heavier lures and fish with bait.  I’d keep the tica for lighter lures and get a 10’ mojo or similar 10’ rod (10’ triumph is a nice 10’ for less than $200) for heavier lures, bait fishing and bigger surf.  I have 10’ mojo and it’s a good all around surf rod but it’s not good for casting lures lighter than a SP minnow.  I use size 4500 reels on rods 9’-10’6 and only go bigger on 11’ rods or if I’m fishing for sharks.  

To the OP:

The East End of Long Island encompasses all sorts of fishing locations including Shinnecock, Montauk, the quieter waters of the North Shore..etc. so a do it all rod for plugging, Tins & lures would be one thing where as a bait rod is probably a different animal all together. 

If fishing this entire area with lures, which I've done for 45 years, I would recommend a 10'6" rod rated 3/4 oz to 3 oz with a sweet spot of 1.5 oz. because mainly I'm throwing Tins & average sized plugs.

However, if you like to throw more bait and larger plugs, then you might need an 11'9" to 12'6" rod rated 3 to 7 oz. with a sweet spot of 4.5 oz. For out front fishing, longer rods are always preferable. 

If you fish decidedly more on the North Shore, an 8.5" rod is great, as is a 9' and 1/2 oz to 2 oz is an ideal rating for such a light little sniper of a stick. 

If the budget is $300 or so, then look at companies that offer entry level rods & have great warranties. Chances are, whatever your next rod is, you're going to push it pretty hard in the next several years & it may become your go to stick, relegating your existing 9' Tica to the North Shore & Back Bays. 

I use Century & Lamiglas and I really like both companies. Centruy's Sling-Shot rods are awesome, I fish mostly with them these days. They make a 10'6" 1-3.5 oz 1265 which is the rod I use for all purpose out front surf fishing. I'd rate it as GREAT for the money, with a suspect warranty btw (depends who you talk to on this I guess). I've punished my 1265 & it has been nothing short of a reliable cannon. That said, I'd actually recommend the Century Slingshot SS1415 as the cat's meow for all purpose beach fishing - it's 11'9" 1-4 oz and it's a fantastic big water rod, perfect for Montauk. I don't own this rod, but a good buddy does & I've fished his a bit. You're looking at $550 here, so that blows your budget up quite a bit. Maybe save up as it's really worth it and you will see a big difference. 

Lammy offers the GSB series of Surf Rods which are going to run $400 to $450 so they are quite a bit over your budget also, but IMO worth it. 

If you're inclined to purchase with the available funds & live with whatever rod you wind up with, there are plenty of $300-ish options out there.

The St. Croix Mojo is a lot of value for the $$ and I'd probably steer you in that direction based on the performance and warranty being very good. You might also look at Shimano's Tiralejo Surf Rod as an alternative option. Both are very good & come in right around $300. 

If you want to come in closer to $200, then TFO might be a rod to look at, pretty good warranty with TFO as well.

1 hour ago, redfin said:

What 9 footer ? Tica  Dolphin? 
What area of LI?

I think a 9 footer is a great rod for the north shore and bays. SS beaches and out east in some places a larger stick would be better.

A bigger rod may most likely need a bigger reel too.

Edited by CaryGreene

Use your bezos gift card on something else. Visit a large tackleshop or rod builder on the east end. Difference could be tremendous depends on what you are getting. Depends on what you want. 

Don’t get a mojo LOL, save your money and get a lami, or get another rod for heavier stuff

I have $200-300 to spend on a rod. I'm fishing way more than ever before and a couple guides have bent and there are other issues on my rod. 

I want to replace my 9' rod with something nicer. This 9' length will always be my most-used rod, it goes from ocean surf to the Peconics and smaller back bays. 

I agree a 10'6" or 11' surf rod would be a fun new toy. It would get me fishing on higher wind, higher surf days at the beach. 

what would you get for a 9' or 10-11' surf rods? 

Consider the 9'0 Lami I have posted in the BST.....will throw 4ozs. all day.

36 mins ago, hobobob said:

Use your bezos gift card on something else. Visit a large tackleshop or rod builder on the east end. Difference could be tremendous depends on what you are getting. Depends on what you want. 

The surf rod Pickens are on slim on Amazon anyhow. 

I don't recommend the Mojo 9' , 1-4.  I owned one for about a week.  Hated it. Way too heavy and very stiff action.  You also won't find one rod that will do everything well.  A rod for  pencil poppers is different that a bucktail rod.  I use a 9' old school Loomis Super Surf for the majority of work and use my 10' 6", Tsunami Elite for pencil poppers.

For you I would keep the Tica and then find another 9' or 10' rod that does what the Tica can't.  Lots of good choices out there without breaking the bank. Here are a few.. Fiber Star, Tsumani Elite, and Star rods.

Here's a thought.........rebuild the Tica properly.  The blank is actually a pretty good one.  If you like it now, you will absolutely love it after you replace the large clunky guides on the stock Tica Dolphin.  I stripped my 9' Tical Dolphin 1/2-3 down to bare blank.  Started with a high frame #30 stripper with the ring placed 4.25" from the top of the butt section down to #8 running guides and tip top.  Total weight of the rod came down to 7.5 oz.  Much better tip recovery and response.  Greater balance and sensitivity, too.  So totally not the same rod in a good way.

Edited by bass11

53 mins ago, CaryGreene said:

To the OP:

The East End of Long Island encompasses all sorts of fishing locations including Shinnecock, Montauk, the quieter waters of the North Shore..etc. so a do it all rod for plugging, Tins & lures would be one thing where as a bait rod is probably a different animal all together. 

I am on the south fork in the town of Southampton - I have a town parking sticker. So I am fishing places like around Sag Harbor, little coves off the Peconics in Noyack, last night I fished a narrows in Shinnecock Bay. I surf cast into the ocean. Targeting stripers and blues. I am not fishing Montauk or the inlet. 

My current rod is a Tica TC2 - Medium Power, Mod Fast Action 9' rated for 1/2 to 3 oz. I got it on Nantucket in 2012, it was this tackle shops budget rod/reel combo. Right now the last guide is bent and the handle is a little rough. 

My family did give me Amazon gift cards and they all made a big deal about the gift and I am definitely gonna send them a picture of me fishing with the new rod! So it has to be Amazon for this. As others have said, finding inventory has been a real challenge. I saw the Mojo on Amazon and thought maybe I'd get the 9 footer as a replacement to my Tica. 

I'd love to find a 9' to 10'6" rod I can bring to the back bays and into the surf. My current rod is the perfect size but I really want to upgrade to something newer. I think 1-4oz is the sweet spot for the kind of fishing I am doing. I could go a little bigger for the surf/wind. I don't do a lot of live bait

I think I need a nicer main rod. 

53 mins ago, CaryGreene said:

25 mins ago, Bridgehamptom said:

I am on the south fork in the town of Southampton - I have a town parking sticker. So I am fishing places like around Sag Harbor, little coves off the Peconics in Noyack, last night I fished a narrows in Shinnecock Bay. I surf cast into the ocean. Targeting stripers and blues. I am not fishing Montauk or the inlet. 

My current rod is a Tica TC2 - Medium Power, Mod Fast Action 9' rated for 1/2 to 3 oz. I got it on Nantucket in 2012, it was this tackle shops budget rod/reel combo. Right now the last guide is bent and the handle is a little rough. 

My family did give me Amazon gift cards and they all made a big deal about the gift and I am definitely gonna send them a picture of me fishing with the new rod! So it has to be Amazon for this. As others have said, finding inventory has been a real challenge. I saw the Mojo on Amazon and thought maybe I'd get the 9 footer as a replacement to my Tica. 

I'd love to find a 9' to 10'6" rod I can bring to the back bays and into the surf. My current rod is the perfect size but I really want to upgrade to something newer. I think 1-4oz is the sweet spot for the kind of fishing I am doing. I could go a little bigger for the surf/wind. I don't do a lot of live bait

I think I need a nicer main rod. 

Ohh, okay, well in that case, an 8'6" rod would be ideal, especially if it threw 1/2 oz to 2 1/2 oz. Century makes the Slingshot SS1025 which does exactly that & it's a 2pc rod. Great rod & portable. $427.99 on most sites. 

You don't need a long rod & they aren't as good for lighter lures & soft plastics anyway. Longer = progressively more difficult to operate with a single hand & impart action on the lure. I LOVE longer rods for out front & for plugging, but based on where you're fishing, 8'6" to 9' range is preferable 

Stepping down slightly, Lammy does a GSB91LS, 9' 1-piece (not so portable), 1/2 to 2 oz $399 - super choice for the kind of fishing you're doing. 

Shimano's Tiralejo TRS96MA is 9'6" 3/4 to 3 oz $300 so that would be a within the budget huge upgrade from the Tica & better than a St. Croix Mojo.

ODM's DNA NXD935 is 9' 1/2 oz to 3 1/2 oz $250 and that's a very nice mid priced rod that will not let you down. 

The St. Croix Mojo MSS90MM2 is 9' 3/4 to 4 oz $210 and that would be a very friendly price point for all you get & it will perform very nicely with plenty of ability to huck long casts. 

Edited by CaryGreene