woma

Homemade Fish Emulsion Fertilizer?

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

Does anybody do this? I've been doing some reading up on it, seems easy and a great natural fertilizer for the lawn, flowers, vegetables?

Any experiences out there?

It sounds easy to make but the smell has got to be terrible. Is it also going to attract every skunk and raccoon for miles. 

A month or so ago, Old Goat made mention of having a barrel full of rain water and fish guts out back that he and Sweetie use to add nutrients to their garden.

Perhaps he'll weigh in.

I know it's not the same thing but, when I was little, every spring my dad would take me fishing for bluegill and we would take a bucket full to my grandfather who would bury them under his tomato plants. He swore it was the best fertilizer. 

Do people still do that?

Does it work?

Seems like a good way to use stunted overpopulated bluegills or maybe invasive carp.

For years my grandmother  lived off all the fish and game I gave her.  All the fish frames and guts went in her garden.  She especially like to place herring under her tomato plants.

She lived in the inner city, had one of those amazing city gardens you see when driving around. 

Do any of you have a compost pile?

I used to have a decent sized one years ago, and my parents were wary about it saying they didn't want a "stinking pile of rotting material" in their yard.

I showed them a handful of fresh compost and asked them to smell it.

I asked them "What does it smell like" and they said "Like sweet, fresh forest air"

I said "That's what it should smell like". and they never complained again and even collected kitchen waste for the pile.

17 mins ago, FishermanTim said:

Do any of you have a compost pile?

I used to have a decent sized one years ago, and my parents were wary about it saying they didn't want a "stinking pile of rotting material" in their yard.

I showed them a handful of fresh compost and asked them to smell it.

I asked them "What does it smell like" and they said "Like sweet, fresh forest air"

I said "That's what it should smell like". and they never complained again and even collected kitchen waste for the pile.

My compost pile smells pretty nasty at times. Pro tip: don’t throw lobster shells in it in the middle of summer. 

29 mins ago, FishermanTim said:

Wonder if that would be wise if planting in raised beds?

Just a concern for animals digging up plants to get them.

Feral cats yes.  They dig quite deep too. Put something heavy on top of the burial spot  initially for about a week or two should cure the issue.  Flies, will be a bigger issue.   No body will be able to smell it, but flies will. :laugh:

My fish gury is fish scraps in a barrel with only enough water to make a stew not a soup. Make sure you have a tight barrel your you might have to leave town.

When you take out a small amount add more water before putting on yer garden.

If you have neibours you might have to leave for the weekend.

My father always had a compost pile. Yard, kitchen waste and the occasional animal bone or fish rack. I keep one now on the Cape and limit any fish/animal parts. It is covered by a screen but critters get into it. No noticeable smell. I use the aged and screened compost for flowers, vegetables and the lawn.