t_man7

Cut Trebles on Tail Wrap - Prong Up or Down?

Rate this topic

Cut Tail Trebles - Prong up or Down?   13 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer the tail trebles single prong to be upward or downward?

• Up
    • Down
    • Doesn’t matter

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

24 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

40511985-4B07-479D-90C4-4455A1F8217E.jpeg.2405f20c958ef43ad7b03e3347815722.jpegDo you guys prefer a cut tail trebles single prong to be up or down?

By Single Prong I am referring to the single welded shank on a treble hook.  That is welded to the other two double hooks.
21AF4F10-7C88-48DE-B2C7-2F2D2965358C.jpeg.5d0b7107c1d56612c9971e0224eed460.jpeg27BE7E80-BE04-4C97-B12E-2EE4382F1357.jpeg.dcf1fff0fe2926fcd98b74bdc5382b7d.jpeg

I would think having the single prong facing upward would be ideal, because more of the mass of the hook would be below center.  But with the single prong down it sits lower than the double prongs.

Am I just overthinking this?

Edited by t_man7

I switch all my rear trebles to singles (some siwash with bucktail some inline no bucktail). Multiple trebles is a pain to deal with on the water. 

Also faced the point down with the thought process of trying to hook the lower jaw. 

Last season I had a few hookups in the upper jaw and into the head on smaller fish with the rear single facing up so I thought to switch it up and see how it goes this season. 

9 mins ago, Italianbuca said:

I switch all my rear trebles to singles (some siwash with bucktail some inline no bucktail). Multiple trebles is a pain to deal with on the water. 

Also faced the point down with the thought process of trying to hook the lower jaw. 

Last season I had a few hookups in the upper jaw and into the head on smaller fish with the rear single facing up so I thought to switch it up and see how it goes this season. 

I try and switch as much as possible to singles as well, but on most darters I will not.  As most rely on the weight of the hooks as their only weight.  I totally agree with points facing downward.  I’ve hooked way too many schoolies through the brain with upward facing points.  That’s why I’m not much of a fan of the the inline singles, would rather just use an open eye siwash on the tail if I’m going to make it point down.

Single hooks on all my plugs rear hook.  No problem with hookups and much better for the fish you are releasing.  The rear treble always seemed to get them in the eye.  Not good for the fish

Sounds like over thinking. If you aren't switching to inline singles orientation of the trebles doesn't matter to me. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

My opinion is everything works but one way always will be "better" than the other. I believe that a  "random" decision is a decision that has not been made based on observation, likewise a decision without reason is exactly that. I had two equally important "reasons", real or imagined, as to why I preferred single point up 100% of the time. The first has to do with getting a hit in the first place while the second has to do with landing the fish afterwards. So in my opinion the decision was important, to me, at all times and I would never deviate from what I believed to be the better choice.

Over the years, from what I noticed, the vast majority of fisherman and builders orient their rear trebles single point down.

Edited by SC

If the fishes health is important use single in line tail hooks and crimp barbs all hooks.  Even if a few fish are dropped it's more important not do more damage than necessary. If you are going to keep fish it doesn't matter.

I really have found little difference in hook ups, If I do anything its remove a set of trebles or single rear hook a step up in sizes

Your first mistake is not using a split in the rear. Your giving leverage to the fish so it has a better opportunity to pop the hook off, doesn't help with aerodynamics either. Although more important with single hooks, generally speaking the more a hook can fold flush against the body the more aerodynamic it becomes. The split ring also gives more freedom of motion and negates the worry of point position as 3 hooks moving freely will easily cover 360 degrees. You are worrying about very small distances in hook orientation and disregarding more important factors.