Mikeinri

Looking for recommendations on good pliers

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Anyone recommend something other than van staal 7” pliers?  Want a decent pair that won’t break or break the bank.   Been using rapala brand and they lock up and get rusty pretty easily.   Want something I can use and not clean after and won’t rust. If I have to I’ll get the VS but prefer to not spend close to $400 

Edited by Mikeinri

I have been using the berkley aluminum 9” pliers. $30 on Amazon. They do rust but hit em with a wire brush and wd40 and they’re good to go. I don’t rinse them often either

Penn Bull Nose Pliers will run you around 40 dollars for a great set of pliers. I believe they come in 6.5 inch and 8-inch models. Just going to list some points about these pliers.

• Had them for 2 years now and haven't seen any signs of corrosion on them even after months of wading around in waist-deep water.
  • I have broken the cutters but it was completely my fault since I was trying to cut a 4x Mustad out of my shirt which it successfully did but ruined the cutters. But I haven't had any rust accumulation on the cutters whenever I inspected them so it goes to show how they should be functioning.
  • Survived about 8 days of unhooking gator-sized blues which some of the OEM pliers off amazon will split in half after one or two fish.
  • Comes with a quality plier sheath but the biggest issue is that the sheath accommodates a 2-inch thinner belt so 2-inch surf belts would not accommodate this sheath at all. I know since I tried putting it on my gear-up belt and it wouldn't go past the part of the belt where the webbing thickens.
  • The lanyard it comes with has a great carabiner but the split ring fell apart which I had to replace with a heavier duty one.
  • Not an OEM sourced design as far as I'm concerned. A lot of those "fishing pliers" on amazon will break after a week with them.

TLDR; huge advocate of these pliers just the split ring and belt loop could be improved upon to accommodate surf anglers better.

Image attached at the bottom.

PENN-Bull-Nose_Pliers.jpg

Edited by Inception

14 mins ago, Inception said:

Penn Bull Nose Pliers will run you around 40 dollars for a great set of pliers. I believe they come in 6.5 inch and 8-inch models. Just going to list some points about these pliers.

• Had them for 2 years now and haven't seen any signs of corrosion on them even after months of wading around in waist-deep water.
  • I have broken the cutters but it was completely my fault since I was trying to cut a 4x mustad out of my shirt which it successfully did but ruined the cutters. But I haven't had any rust accumulation on the cutters whenever I inspected them so it goes to show how they should be functioning.
  • Survived about 8 days of unhooking gator-sized blues which some of the OEM pliers off amazon will split in half after one or two fish.
  • Comes with a quality plier sheath but the biggest issue is that the sheath accommodates a 2-inch thinner belt so 2-inch surf belts would not accommodate this sheath at all. I know since I tried putting it on my gear-up belt and it wouldn't go past the part of the belt where the webbing thickens.
  • The lanyard it comes with has a great carabiner but the split ring fell apart which I had to replace with a heavier duty one.

TLDR; huge advocate of these pliers just the split ring and belt loop could be improved upon to accommodate surf anglers better.

Image attached at the bottom.

PENN-Bull-Nose_Pliers.jpg

Thank you.  The negatives with the sheath etc are ok to me.  I have another flatlander sheath I can use with lanyard.   

Just now, Mikeinri said:

Thank you.  The negatives with the sheath etc are ok to me.  I have another flatlander sheath I can use with lanyard.   

Yes, I ended up purchasing a gear-up sheath which saved a lot of pain for me. But these are great pliers very solid feel with great grips that a lot of high-end saltwater resistant pliers lack. Consider swapping out the split ring if you're going to use the lanyard that comes with the pliers since after a few weeks of constant tension it will eventually warp.

H2O XPRESS 6.5 in Titanium Pliers - Just got a pair and I like them. A lot cheaper than VS and a bit cheaper than Danco.

One season on a set of titanium Danco Premio Offshore Pliers and I really like them. I got them for ~$180 shipped, about half of the VS 7". The 7" VS grip is a smidge better but for half the price and zero rust, I really like the Dancos.

I have the manley Gripper nippers. they are awesome so far. Only thing I have an issue is trying to find a way is to attach a Layard to the handle (if anyone has any recommendations let me know!)

1 hour ago, FlyfishCT87 said:

I have the manley Gripper nippers. they are awesome so far. Only thing I have an issue is trying to find a way is to attach a Layard to the handle (if anyone has any recommendations let me know!)

What is the heaviest flouro and wire you feel they can cut? Is 80lb mono really the top end? Ive been eying these a few weeks now and theyre from a reputable brand thanks for any info.

I have a pair of Danco 7.5" PRO SERIES PLIERS. They are really nice. One thing about Danco is their superb customer service and Lifetime warranty. Before this pair I had one of they Aluminum pliers, they worked well but the grip was not as good as I expected. So I called them to their shop, which is here in Florida. After talking with the customer rep about the type of  fishing I do, he upgraded me to the Pro Series at no additional charge. 

PS75L-R-P_sandstorm.jpg?resizeid=5&resiz

Edited by camilos_garage

I have mainly always used manley pliers. I think they are the best bang for your buck for decades.  I would never be without the side cutter feature (with any plier). Just in case I have to cut a hook free from my hand. Just about any plier needs occasional maintenance imo. I have seen a few VS pliers cease up and become very hard to open if never washed/ lubed. Not saying that is an issue with all of them but that was something i saw on quite a few occasions.

I would go with the VS pliers. I have run them for years. The jaws do not flex, They do not get rinsed for weeks at a time, and I have never replaced the cutters. They get soaked almost every trip out. If you are going to use them to their potential then you will not be sorry. If you are not going to use them to their potential then a less exspensive pair is a good option.