Billybob

14 grand?

Rate this topic

147 posts in this topic

It might pay to wait, too: there was an article in are local fishwrap yesterday that a big local painting company had to turn away 150 jobs last month, due to a shortage of workers. They have 150 openings -- and they can't find anyone who wants them. I gotta think that the pricing is going to reflect that -- they can pick and choose what jobs they want.

Just now, mybeach said:

Hopefully not the bottom few courses. that **** will disintegrate in a heart beat, and vinyl siding is not maintenance free. 

Only if you have a couple of ass wholes who play lacrosse or soccer living there ..

2 mins ago, mybeach said:

Hopefully not the bottom few courses. that **** will disintegrate in a heart beat, and vinyl siding is not maintenance free. 

pressure wash once in awhile is easier then scrapping and painting.

Everything is ridiculously expensive right now, neighbor had a tree crew in last week to take down a rotten cherry tree.... I had em give me a quote on taking the pine tree down outback. $4200 without grinding the stump.... that’s rape.

Neighbor on the other side got a quote on ripping up his blacktop driveway and replacing it..... lowest quote he got was 52k so far, mine needs to be done but I’m not dumping 20k on a driveway right now. 

39 mins ago, Billybob said:

So, my house needs a painting, and I did paint professionally for about 10 years, but I'm 62 and not really keen to climb 30 feet up and sand/paint.

I get a quote - 14 grand.

About twice what I expected.

Crap.

The kids don't want me to die, the wife don't wanna spend that.

And neither do I.

Looks like I'll be pushing it this summer.  

If they’re doing detail work, it’s a no brainer.

Even if it’s a straightforward job, it’s probably the last time you’ll need it done. How long will a proper paint job last? 

13 mins ago, Brother Brian said:

For 3x his quote.

you could be right, but once and its done.  how many times does a house have to be painted ? 

3 mins ago, Belmo said:

It might pay to wait, too: there was an article in are local fishwrap yesterday that a big local painting company had to turn away 150 jobs last month, due to a shortage of workers. They have 150 openings -- and they can't find anyone who wants them. I gotta think that the pricing is going to reflect that -- they can pick and choose what jobs they want.

The pricing will reflect the worker shortage by INCREASING, as it will take longer with fewer workers doing the job.

3 mins ago, Brother Brian said:

Only if you have a couple of ass wholes who play lacrosse or soccer living there ..

I declined a job a month ago that had courses mid wall they wanted replaced. No thank you. 

2 mins ago, bigfish4me said:

Everything is ridiculously expensive right now, neighbor had a tree crew in last week to take down a rotten cherry tree.... I had em give me a quote on taking the pine tree down outback. $4200 without grinding the stump.... that’s rape.

Neighbor on the other side got a quote on ripping up his blacktop driveway and replacing it..... lowest quote he got was 52k so far, mine needs to be done but I’m not dumping 20k on a driveway right now. 

for the time being, patch all rough spots and seal coat the entire thing and you should be good for a little while, unless you have a root or frost heaving problem.

Just now, mybeach said:

I declined a job a month ago that had courses mid wall they wanted replaced. No thank you. 

Yeah, it's a great concept in a high humidity/shore area for people who live in a development where nobody but the lawn guys go outside but it's torture otherwise. You might as well replace the whole side :laugh:

4 mins ago, chumfish said:

If they’re doing detail work, it’s a no brainer.

Even if it’s a straightforward job, it’s probably the last time you’ll need it done. How long will a proper paint job last? 

Just now, Brother Brian said:

Yeah, it's a great concept in a high humidity/shore area for people who live in a development where nobody but the lawn guys go outside but it's torture otherwise. You might as well replace the whole side :laugh:

Exactly. I foresaw lots of surrounding courses that were swollen and beginning to melt. Weather side of the house. 

5 mins ago, coolhandfluke said:

you could be right, but once and its done.  how many times does a house have to be painted ? 

If are BB was 28 you might have a point.

4 mins ago, coolhandfluke said:

You and Chum are presuming that the work will automatically be dome as professionally as possible.

What if the company has a shortage of workers or is staffed with new hires who prefer to cut corners at the homeowner's expense (but doesn't let the boss know)?

You could end up with a really expensive sub-par job that could require more work that they might stick you to pay for. Just a possibility...