Billybob

14 grand?

Rate this topic

147 posts in this topic

So, my house needs a painting, and I did paint professionally for about 10 years, but I'm 62 and not really keen to climb 30 feet up and sand/paint.

I get a quote - 14 grand.

About twice what I expected.

Crap.

The kids don't want me to die, the wife don't wanna spend that.

And neither do I.

Looks like I'll be pushing it this summer.  

You know, a house is a lot of maintenance. If you are not up for doing it yourself, you had better be prepared to pay out the wazoo. 

The lady that bought our house is in over her head. We kept our house and gardens pristine, it takes daily effort to do that. 

PS - I'm heading over to a customer to spray paint some screen doors and replace the screens. Easy money.

1 min ago, mybeach said:

Ugliest **** ever invented.

He could go J Hardie for 4-5x his quote :D

6 mins ago, Brother Brian said:

He could go J Hardie for 4-5x his quote :D

Hopefully not the bottom few courses. that **** will disintegrate in a heart beat, and vinyl siding is not maintenance free. 

How much to rent a cherry-picker, or a pro scaffolding deal, for a few days or even a week? I don't mind being off the ground -- it's being off the ground in a ladder that I can't stand. Just a few months ago, I paid a guy two hundred clams to go up to the peak of ma roof and nail in a piece of siding that blew off in a storm -- it was the kind of thing that would have taken 3 minutes if it had been lower, but I ain't going up that high on no ladder no more.