cityevader

Think this sturgeon lived?

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

That's a good question. It was hooked on a "set line" which I would assume is a lashed jug or trot line. Do they need to swim to force water over their gills? No idea.

Before I read it......is it something I can outrage over?

If I can't get outraged publicly it's not worth reading.

Manhandled aboard a record sturgeon twice the previous record, took time to tag and take pictures, awing at its size before (presumably) manhandling it overboard.

Makes you wonder what our need is to catch the biggest and verify the fact. Even the biologist, they have to be educated on c&r release mortality especially with a fish that size. :why:

20 hours ago, cityevader said:

"Conservation" crew huh? Sure looks like they did an awful lot to hinder a healthy release, but i've no idea how tough Sturgeon are.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/science/2021/05/05/240-pound-fish-detroit-river/?outputType=amp

I'm sure you don't get to 100 years old being a delicate fish, especially in the Detroit River.  That being said, it's dissapointing that they even took a fish of that size out of the water.

On 5/6/2021 at 10:26 PM, cityevader said:

Manhandled aboard a record sturgeon twice the previous record, took time to tag and take pictures, awing at its size before (presumably) manhandling it overboard.

Those fish are tougher than humans.

It didn't get old like that being soft and mushy.

They are some of the toughest fish in the water.

HH

There was surgeon and oysters  in the Hudson river at one time...occasionally you would  hear the folks who used to set nets  up in the river complain something tore them up and blamed it on sturgeon ....you never know....never heard any one finding an oyster in the Hudson ....they maybe long gone