Baitbucket

Shame on Minn Kota

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Many here know the saga of my trolling motor issues ive had since in got my 2000$ Minn Kota. Ive had their service center replace the Armature, Circuit Board, Power wire, etc.. Most of it I had to pay for as they only have a 1 year warranty.

Today i said FOOK IT! And decided i was going to fix it myself, even if it rendered it useless and i had to get something new.

The issues i faced, since the day i got it, was that the power would cut out to the prop. The head would turn like it was trying to navigate, but the prop wouldnt turn on. Well.. I got it fixed now. See the video for details..

I heard back from Minn Kota and they told me there was nothing they could do as it was out of warranty, but offered me a free t-shirt and hat for my troubles. Like i would want to advertise their brand after this....

PS.. Im pretty much a Minn Kota pro repair man now if anyone has issues, please feel free to ask lol..

Edited by Baitbucket

They’ll probably try and reach out now and try and bribe you to take it down. Screw them and the rest of useless big business. Nice fix!

I hope you tear them a new one. I know I would. They'd get so sick of me calling they'd need to get a restraining order.

2 hours ago, Baitbucket said:

Many here know the saga of my trolling motor issues ive had since in got my 2000$ Minn Kota. Ive had their service center replace the Armature, Circuit Board, Power wire, etc.. Most of it I had to pay for as they only have a 1 year warranty.

Today i said FOOK IT! And decided i was going to fix it myself, even if it rendered it useless and i had to get something new.

The issues i faced, since the day i got it, was that the power would cut out to the prop. The head would turn like it was trying to navigate, but the prop wouldnt turn on. Well.. I got it fixed now. See the video for details..

I heard back from Minn Kota and they told me there was nothing they could do as it was out of warranty, but offered me a free t-shirt and hat for my troubles. Like i would want to advertise their brand after this....

PS.. Im pretty much a Minn Kota pro repair man now if anyone has issues, please feel free to ask lol..

pinched wires....the bane of all troubleshooters.

That sucks....

They reached out...

Their offer is to simply deduct the price ive paid out of pocket (~$700) for my repairs from a new motor. Which is a crap deal in my opinion. Ive allready got 2500ish invested in my existing motor. To replace it, i would need to shell out another 1800 after they take the 700 off. Making it a grand total of $4300 ive paid to get a working motor. That just doesnt sound right to me..

Ive asked them to just straight up replace what i have for a similar model with the same features, and ill drop mine off at one of their service centers in exchange. It doesnt sound like they are going to go that route though.

Maybe you should ask for the name and title of the person making the decision. So when you broadcast far and wide and file with the BBB corporate will know who to contact. Think about it would you want you name connected  to bad press.

Edited by squidder 329

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2021 at 8:22 AM, Baitbucket said:

They reached out...

Their offer is to simply deduct the price ive paid out of pocket (~$700) for my repairs from a new motor. Which is a crap deal in my opinion. Ive allready got 2500ish invested in my existing motor. To replace it, i would need to shell out another 1800 after they take the 700 off. Making it a grand total of $4300 ive paid to get a working motor. That just doesnt sound right to me..

Ive asked them to just straight up replace what i have for a similar model with the same features, and ill drop mine off at one of their service centers in exchange. It doesnt sound like they are going to go that route though.

Keep hammering them in every way you can on social media.

That video is worth a thousand words.

Let everyone know what you have told us here.

They don't want the bad PR.

Contact Mac McLennan President/CEO of MinnKota directly thru LinkedIn and tell him your tale of woe and what you think they should do for you.

Edited by Gotcow?

That’s sad but what’s worse is you can’t even get a saltwater trolling motor from them these days.  I was on a waiting list for the 87 inch motor and 2 12” hummingbird solix for 5 months.  Couldn’t wait any longer and I scraped the trolling motor idea for at least this year and went with Simrad.  Johnson outdoors lost about 10,000 dollars worth of business with me and who knows how many others had to make the same decision that I did.   

ps. Extremely happy with my Simrad products. Hopefully motorguide gets into the longer shaft game and I will go with them. 

On 5/13/2021 at 7:57 PM, Gotcow? said:

Contact Mac McLennin President/CEO of MinnKota directly thru LinkedIn and tell him your tale of woe and what you think they should do for you.

Great suggestion, i sent him the story this morning.