Notable Catch

Knife length

Rate this topic

43 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 5/8/2021 at 10:50 PM, Notable Catch said:

I thought about a folding knife but still prefer a fixed blade for saltwater fishing.  I have a couple of folding knives as EDC which makes sense but for saltwater fishing, it would mean one more point of failure and to oil joints.

 

Also, I would pay good money for EDC knife but for saltwater fishing which I know it's going to be abused, I want to keep the cost down.  Looks like PM2 is out and PM3 is in which is around $150.  

Mora has a partial serrated blade in their Companion line. Stainless as well.  Blade is either 4in or just under.  Serrations are easy to touch up and go about 2/3rds the length of the blade with the last 3rd being a their standard plain bevel. 

 

I love mine. 

Edited by PSegnatelli

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/6/2021 at 10:40 AM, Notable Catch said:

When I fish, I carry a knife to bleed fish, cut anything I need to(what else?) and been carrying Mora craft which I believe is 3.6" blade knife.  I was thinking about buying more to have it in different bag and belt so I don't have to move them around.

 

That got me thinking law about the length of the knife.  It will be open carried since it will be attached to outside of the bag or on a belt.  Is there any law preventing certain size of blade?  Of course I don't want too big of knife but wanted to be legal.

 

Thankyou

 

I have a spyderco salt's that have fit the bill for me.  One serrated and one clip point, havent had an issue yet.  Sharpening the serrated requires a round ceramic rod but its not too difficult to get some kind of working edge on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/8/2021 at 0:53 PM, gellfex said:

I had a theatrical production colleague tell me about getting arrested in 42nd st bus terminal for having a the clip of a clip knife showing on his pocket. Not ticketed, arrested.

That's because the cop wanted to make overtime...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Every state has different knife laws.  You can google search it but NJ isn't bad, just prohibits autos and daggers.

New Jersey Knife Laws

At a Glance:

New Jersey law prohibits the possession “without any explainable lawful purpose” of any “gravity knife, switchblade knife, dagger, dirk, stiletto, dangerous knife or ballistic knife.” Possession of a weapon in one’s home is arguably a “lawful purpose.” Pocketknives may be carried outside the home, except by one having unlawful intent, or who possesses the knife for some unlawful purpose. Self-defense beyond the limits of one’s home is not a lawful purpose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to echo what a lot of people have said about Spyderco.  I have a small collection but I have a LOT of the Salt Series.  The one that I like the most for fishing is the Dragonfly Salt Serrated Edge.  it's light, corrosion-proof, and makes short work of bleeding fish.  It's an impressive knife for the size.

 

C28SYL2_Both.png?width=800

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/6/2021 at 10:40 AM, Notable Catch said:

When I fish, I carry a knife to bleed fish, cut anything I need to(what else?) and been carrying Mora craft which I believe is 3.6" blade knife.  I was thinking about buying more to have it in different bag and belt so I don't have to move them around.

 

That got me thinking law about the length of the knife.  It will be open carried since it will be attached to outside of the bag or on a belt.  Is there any law preventing certain size of blade?  Of course I don't want too big of knife but wanted to be legal.

 

Thankyou

I carry a Woodsmans Pal in my FW bag when I'm off the beaten path. Its about  half the size of a machete 16''to18'' with a blade curve opposite that of a machete. 2 different NJFW guys have asked me about it and I told them its for unruly wildlife, they smiled and never said another word.:shrug:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, atv223 said:

I'm going to echo what a lot of people have said about Spyderco.  I have a small collection but I have a LOT of the Salt Series.  The one that I like the most for fishing is the Dragonfly Salt Serrated Edge.  it's light, corrosion-proof, and makes short work of bleeding fish.  It's an impressive knife for the size.

 

C28SYL2_Both.png?width=800

An excellent alternative that simply disappears in your pocket.  Nothing against H1 but among Salts I do have a preference for LC200N blades in part because of the grind.  H1 Salts are low hollow/Sabre grind whereas LC200N Salts are FFG (full flat grind)

 

There are a couple "American" made LC200N Salts in the pipeline and I will be getting the serrated version of both.  The UKPK Salt is slated to begin production this month.  They are currently working on the Boltaron sheath for the Swick 5.  When they will actually hit the shelves I have no idea.  The UKPK Salt is a slip joint with a 2.93" blade from 2.5mm stock and weighs 1.7 oz.  Now I generally prefer locks on my folders, but if you drop this one in the sand, there is no lock to get jammed up.  Simply rinse it in the suds and put away wet.  Salt , slime, blood & guts are no problem.  Rinse off when you get home or tomorrow or next week or next month.  Doesn't matter.  At 1.7 oz. you can clip it anywhere......even your shirt pocket.  MAP price of $88.90.

 

The Swick 5 is a really, really interesting fixed blade wharnie salt with a Boltaron sheath.  More expensive at $127 in part due to the cost of the sheath.

 

Serrated Salts have made life just so much more enjoyable when in the suds.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 mins ago, bass11 said:

An excellent alternative that simply disappears in your pocket.  Nothing against H1 but among Salts I do have a preference for LC200N blades in part because of the grind.  H1 Salts are low hollow/Sabre grind whereas LC200N Salts are FFG (full flat grind)

I'm patiently waiting for an LC200N Dragonfly!  I'll probably get that in a PE, though.  I have a SpydieChef, Native 5, and Siren in LC200N.  The Chef isn't for fishing and the other two are nice, but I still like my Dragonfly.  Now if they come out with a Lil' Native, LC200N, that will be MY knife!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, atv223 said:

I'm patiently waiting for an LC200N Dragonfly!  I'll probably get that in a PE, though.  I have a SpydieChef, Native 5, and Siren in LC200N.  The Chef isn't for fishing and the other two are nice, but I still like my Dragonfly.  Now if they come out with a Lil' Native, LC200N, that will be MY knife!

The Dragonfly and other Seki City Salts will probably be available in LC200N eventually, but with Covid and all it's hard to say how soon.  The only drawback is the additional cost of importing LC200N to Japan which will mean a price adjustment.  Just one other reason I like the US made Salts.  I do like the overall balance of properties of LC200N in PE, too.  My Siren and Chef are ridiculously easy to sharpen.  BTW IMHO the SpydieChef is the defacto standard for a Big game pocket folder skinner.

Edited by bass11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 mins ago, bass11 said:

The Dragonfly and other Seki City Salts will probably be available in LC200N eventually, but with Covid and all it's hard to say how soon.  The only drawback is the additional cost of importing LC200N to Japan which will mean a price adjustment.  Just one other reason I like the US made Salts.  I do like the overall balance of properties of LC200N in PE, too.  My Siren and Chef are ridiculously easy to sharpen.  BTW IMHO the SpydieChef is the defacto standard for a Big game pocket folder skinner.

I could see that with the Chef!  My is relegated to dinners and BBQs LOL!  My Siren came with a burnt edge.  First time I got a knife like that.  The factore edge was terrible and I couldn't do anything to correct it on my sharpmaker.  I finally put it on my KME and re-profiled it.  Then it became the knife I had hoped it would me.  It hasn't gotten much pocket time, but soon!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got a 5 inch stainless blade on my surf belt. Good for anything I need it for. Has a hole in the bottom of the plastic sheath so it drains. It's just a cheap knife maybe 10 or 15 bucks, if lost or broken easily replaced. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 mins ago, kype said:

dont worry about it as long as your engaged in fishing or hunting. 

Thank You & for the Sea Lawyers in NJ the second amendment protects your right to carry poses a Knife of many descriptions, in most circumstances not just fishing hunting, Simple Google search ( Knife laws in NJ ) will answer all the questions.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.