Notable Catch

Knife length

Rate this topic

43 posts in this topic

When I fish, I carry a knife to bleed fish, cut anything I need to(what else?) and been carrying Mora craft which I believe is 3.6" blade knife.  I was thinking about buying more to have it in different bag and belt so I don't have to move them around.

That got me thinking law about the length of the knife.  It will be open carried since it will be attached to outside of the bag or on a belt.  Is there any law preventing certain size of blade?  Of course I don't want too big of knife but wanted to be legal.

Thankyou

I don't believe NJ has a real law regarding blade size length. NY on the other hand has some insane knife laws. 

I am in NYC ( not manhattan ), I have walk into store, restaurant, in front of police with a large mora orange clipped to the side of my pants. No issue so far.  I do carry my fishing license and do have tackles in the car if anybody ask.

On 5/6/2021 at 5:19 PM, hobobob said:

I am in NYC ( not manhattan ), I have walk into store, restaurant, in front of police with a large mora orange clipped to the side of my pants. No issue so far.  I do carry my fishing license and do have tackles in the car if anybody ask.

I had a theatrical production colleague tell me about getting arrested in 42nd st bus terminal for having a the clip of a clip knife showing on his pocket. Not ticketed, arrested.

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 5/6/2021 at 7:40 AM, Notable Catch said:

When I fish, I carry a knife to bleed fish, cut anything I need to(what else?) and been carrying Mora craft which I believe is 3.6" blade knife.  I was thinking about buying more to have it in different bag and belt so I don't have to move them around.

That got me thinking law about the length of the knife.  It will be open carried since it will be attached to outside of the bag or on a belt.  Is there any law preventing certain size of blade?  Of course I don't want too big of knife but wanted to be legal.

Thankyou

If severing fish gills is something you do quite often, then I would consider a serrated blade like something in the Spyderco Salt series that are pretty much impervious to the elements.  They come in various lengths and blade styles.  Good serrated blades make short work on fish gills and weed balls.  If cost is a consideration or if you have reservations about serrated blades, you might want to try a serrated blade from the Byrd line which is a subsidiary of Spyderco.  My first choice there would be the Cara-Cars 2 Rescue knife.  The blades length is 3.8" but it's a blunt nosed Rescue knife for Christ's sake.  Around $35.  They also make a shorter serrated Meadowlark that comes in rescue configuration or Hawkbill. for around $26.  They are stainless, but not rust proof like the Spyderco Salt line.  They are so cheap you can get multiples for different bags. 

Edited by bass11

3 hours ago, Slowwwride said:

Buy yourself a Paramilitary 2. Best folding knife  of all time for good reason.

I thought about a folding knife but still prefer a fixed blade for saltwater fishing.  I have a couple of folding knives as EDC which makes sense but for saltwater fishing, it would mean one more point of failure and to oil joints.

Also, I would pay good money for EDC knife but for saltwater fishing which I know it's going to be abused, I want to keep the cost down.  Looks like PM2 is out and PM3 is in which is around $150.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

As far as folders that are impervious to rust and salt water corrosion, you might want to look at the LC200N Pac Salt 2 in either SE or PE.  I have the SE version and it feels like it was designed with surf fishermen in mind.  If you're wanting fixed, then the Waterway may suit your needs but it only comes in PE.  I have the folding version of that knife (the Siren) and also like it a lot but prefer serrated for surf fishing.  Remember that MAP pricing is 70% off MSRP.

Edited by bass11

3 hours ago, bass11 said:

If severing fish gills is something you do quite often, then I would consider a serrated blade like something in the Spyderco Salt series that are pretty much impervious to the elements.  They come in various lengths and blade styles.  Good serrated blades make short work on fish gills and weed balls.  If cost is a consideration or if you have reservations about serrated blades, you might want to try a serrated blade from the Byrd line which is a subsidiary of Spyderco.  My first choice there would be the Cara-Cars 2 Rescue knife.  The blades length is 3.8" but it's a blunt nosed Rescue knife for Christ's sake.  Around $35.  They also make a shorter serrated Meadowlark that comes in rescue configuration or Hawkbill. for around $26.  They are stainless, but not rust proof like the Spyderco Salt line.  They are so cheap you can get multiples for different bags. 

It might be that serrated blade I tried wasn't sharp but it felt to me it was actually harder to cut.  Also, I did looked at Salt series before and it is more than I want to spend.  I do pay a good amount for a good product that will last a long time but as mentioned in the other post, it's saltwater fishing, sand, sometimes cutting on rocks, etc.  Too much abuse for a good knife and don't think I want to spend $1000 to buy a couple of knives to put different bags and belts.  :)

Byrd Cara-cara 2, and the rest of them are folding knives.  Since it's pretty cheap, I can try a folding but still prefer a fixed blade for my purpose.

1 min ago, Notable Catch said:

It might be that serrated blade I tried wasn't sharp but it felt to me it was actually harder to cut.  Also, I did looked at Salt series before and it is more than I want to spend.  I do pay a good amount for a good product that will last a long time but as mentioned in the other post, it's saltwater fishing, sand, sometimes cutting on rocks, etc.  Too much abuse for a good knife and don't think I want to spend $1000 to buy a couple of knives to put different bags and belts.  :)

Byrd Cara-cara 2, and the rest of them are folding knives.  Since it's pretty cheap, I can try a folding but still prefer a fixed blade for my purpose.

Was just typing a response before I saw this.  There are a whole bunch of lousy, junky gas station quality serrated knives out there so be wary.  Spyderco and Byrd serrations are excellent, but cutting on rocks will destroy any knife edge.  As an exploritary venture you might want to order a Byrd Cara-Cara 2 Rescue with full serrations. Occasionally smear a little mineral oil on it after washing and drying and you should be good.  Sharpening serrations is really not that difficult and actually requires sharpening less often than a PE blade.  Just search the Spyderco forum for sharpening instructions for serrated blades.

There has always been a NY law stating that the ’dreaded’ switchblade is legal while actively hunting, fishing or trapping under license.

I used to carry a Morakniv knife but instead picked up a pair of Kastking serrated scissors (~6" OAL and they came with a holder) which I prefer as it allows me to cut bait, kill/bleed fish, and cut braid easily.

Does anyone know if knives are allowed in Sandy Hook? I realized that since it is a National Park laws probably are different than NJ. I carried a knife there for a few years without any issues but became curious thinking about it recently.

I just ordered a Spyderco Pac Salt 2 to replace my SOG Flash II which I carried for a decade and my Cold Steel Recon which I like (but is a bit large) after reading this thread. I'll probably pick up another Flash II soon, because I carried it for so long, I got used to it and it's a great knife for around $50.

As far as knife laws, NJ has the worst in the country with NY coming in second.