coastalfreak

Bucktails - Does tipping them with bait mess up the action?

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

Hey folks, looking to start transitioning from live bait in the marsh to artificials and I would love to start jigging small bucktails in the 1/8-1/4 oz range. I’m a bit nervous to start fishing then immediately on their own, so I was thinking about tipping them with a small piece of shrimp or fishbites for a bit of lagniappe. Wondering if this will screw up the action, and if so, what alternatives would be best. 

Thanks, 

Kevin.

I tip light bucktails with a strip of arrow squid; about 1/4"x1/4"x2".  I cut the strips and freeze them with some Mike's Shrimp Oil.  The oil keeps them from freezing solid and give it some extra aroma.  If anything, the squid strip gives the bucktail more action.

Instead of Fishbites, try Gulp Sand Worms.  They look sort of shrimp-like when put on a jig head.  Gulp won't last as long as Fishbites, but you don't really want them to stay on the hook after the attractant has been washed out.

The fun thing about bucktails is you catch more when not being nice to them.

Bucktails you smack on the water and that weed is gone, you snap it to remove weeds.

You bang them into rocks and just generally abuse them.

You tip with live bait and now it's nice gentle , ease threw the grass, gentle swimming. 

I tip bucktails with squids, S Robin, and sometimes bluefish strips.

I keep the strip small purposely as to not affect the action of the plastic I may have on the bucktail to begin with. I really only use the strip for scent more than anything else.

Just keep the strip small and you should be just fine

Posted (edited) · Report post

depends what you are looking to do. a strip of squid or something like an otter tail or pork rind will give it a longer profile as well as a nice flutter, you can also experiment with different soft plastics for different reactions (i.e. a paddletail will create a little more vibration and a slightly different feel than a fluke bait or a fluttering strip).

something that helped me a lot was reading John Skinner's book "Fishing the Bucktail" it is a great read with a lot of technical information on different conditions and profiles specific to bucktailing, as are all of his books in my opinion. 

edit - you said your fishing marsh area, even though his book is based on surf I would imaging the conditions could be comparable just to a lesser degree in regards to depth and currents. Still a great read either way.

Edited by Italianbuca

5 hours ago, oc1 said:

I tip light bucktails with a strip of arrow squid; about 1/4"x1/4"x2".  I cut the strips and freeze them with some Mike's Shrimp Oil.  The oil keeps them from freezing solid and give it some extra aroma.  If anything, the squid strip gives the bucktail more action.

Instead of Fishbites, try Gulp Sand Worms.  They look sort of shrimp-like when put on a jig head.  Gulp won't last as long as Fishbites, but you don't really want them to stay on the hook after the attractant has been washed out.

The fishbite’s jigging strip is Bob’s Your Uncle. I used it last year. The fishing wasn’t the best, so Im going to reserve my opinion. It has a curly tail type action.

Usually stick a trick worm or a roboworm on the back. I don’t throw too much over 5/8 anymore. Sometimes a feather is all you need

Watch the tipped jigs work with gulp attached. John is giving it  a slight jigging action with his wrist and the fluke

can't get enough of it.

Don't know how tipping bucktails affect action but one thing I'm absolutely sure (and care about) is my catch ratio is definitely higher with than without :howdy:

2 hours ago, redfin said:

I like small mr twister grubs on the back of my jigs. 

Ding, Ding, Ding............Winner right here!!

There isn't another soft plastic grub curly tail that has the suppleness of movement than Mr. Twister !

Period....

6 hours ago, Seakarp said:

Watch the tipped jigs work with gulp attached. John is giving it  a slight jigging action with his wrist and the fluke

can't get enough of it.

Wow!  That's a great video.  Wonder how he did it?

12 hours ago, TimS said:

What kinda critters? 

First off, thanks everyone for the responses thus far. 

Mainly redfish, trout, flounder, etc.