3 Generations

Pikie Vs. Danny

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

 

I don't really fish metal lips much, mostly darters and poppers. However, I have used Dannys with good luck. Can anyone tell me the difference between a Pikie and a Danny? I've heard different guys say different things about them. Just want to get a better understanding of the difference and their use.

 

Thanks! Good Luck in the Surf!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm by no means an expert, but Dannys have a flat nose and tend to be surface swimmers only. Pikies have a sloped head and can be surface swam at slower retrieves and subsurface with a faster retrieve. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Surface pikie swims head down ass up and it makes a big wake and noise . A Danny has more of a s pattern to its swim .. A surface pikie is chin weighted between the lip and first hook , a Danny is usually weighted center or a bit off center towards the rear .  
 

 

Edited by extreme fisherman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with all the comments above, but no one mentioned the lip profile.  All Danny's had and have a z-lip, which functions vey well i current speed lower than that which calls for a Bottle Plug or Darter ( the latter being used in fast rips).  I do not look at "modern day" pikies, so I cannot speak to their lip profile, but the original surf fishing Pikie was the Creek Chub Surfster, which had the original cup lip.  This lip made it very effective in currents too slow for the danny to have good action at the traditional "slow down stupid" retrieve speed.  I was very disappointed when Crek Chub reintroduced the Surfster, but with the z-lip. it had great action in faster, i.e., Danny speed current, but not in slow (think redfin) current.  Fortunately, although I retired my two remaining original, albeit repainted/epoxied Surfsters, I still fish Bob Hahn's plugs after epoxying them with Flex-Coat Lite epoxy.

 

Attached picture is of my remaining two original Surfsters

0302191709.jpg

0302191707.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 mins ago, FlatWing said:

I agree with all the comments above, but no one mentioned the lip profile.  All Danny's had and have a z-lip, which functions vey well i current speed lower than that which calls for a Bottle Plug or Darter ( the latter being used in fast rips).  I do not look at "modern day" pikies, so I cannot speak to their lip profile, but the original surf fishing Pikie was the Creek Chub Surfster, which had the original cup lip.  This lip made it very effective in currents too slow for the danny to have good action at the traditional "slow down stupid" retrieve speed.  I was very disappointed when Crek Chub reintroduced the Surfster, but with the z-lip. it had great action in faster, i.e., Danny speed current, but not in slow (think redfin) current.  Fortunately, although I retired my two remaining original, albeit repainted/epoxied Surfsters, I still fish Bob Hahn's plugs after epoxying them with Flex-Coat Lite epoxy.

 

Attached picture is of my remaining two original Surfsters

0302191709.jpg

0302191707.jpg

Those have surfster lips and are not true pikes .. These are surface pikies all have pikie lips and are chin weighted 

A20F0D71-04AB-4670-BA58-E49D824C6585.jpeg

14A6D3B5-0CC4-4BC5-A0B5-F67EAC3E231E.jpeg

FB15C1AF-93EC-46B7-970E-2F6D9D87B0C8.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, extreme fisherman said:

Those have surfster lips and are not true pikes .. These are surface pikies all have pikie lips and are chin weighted 

A20F0D71-04AB-4670-BA58-E49D824C6585.jpeg

14A6D3B5-0CC4-4BC5-A0B5-F67EAC3E231E.jpeg

FB15C1AF-93EC-46B7-970E-2F6D9D87B0C8.jpeg

Beautiful plugs 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, extreme fisherman said:

Those have surfster lips and are not true pikes .. These are surface pikies all have pikie lips and are chin weighted 

A20F0D71-04AB-4670-BA58-E49D824C6585.jpeg

14A6D3B5-0CC4-4BC5-A0B5-F67EAC3E231E.jpeg

FB15C1AF-93EC-46B7-970E-2F6D9D87B0C8.jpeg

Those are great looking plugs! Would you say Pikies are more suitable for calmer water or are both Danny's and Pikies pretty much utilized under the same circumstances?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 mins ago, 3 Generations said:

Those are great looking plugs! Would you say Pikies are more suitable for calmer water or are both Danny's and Pikies pretty much utilized under the same circumstances?

Depends on the plug, how it’s rigged, how it’s fished, and many other things.  There’s no this or that.  One builders pikie can be almost entirely different than another’s.  It’s all up to you as a fisherman to figure out what works for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/5/2021 at 4:52 PM, 3 Generations said:

Hey guys,

 

I don't really fish metal lips much, mostly darters and poppers. However, I have used Dannys with good luck. Can anyone tell me the difference between a Pikie and a Danny? I've heard different guys say different things about them. Just want to get a better understanding of the difference and their use.

 

Thanks! Good Luck in the Surf!

 

I have found that most danny's act like most other danny's, relatively tighter wiggle on or near the surface, usually a smaller lip that will roll out if you really pick up the speed.  Pikies can have more differences between builders, some you can get down 20 feet cranking as hard as you can without rolling out, some wont budge from the surface.  All depends on the shape/size of the plug, wood used, weights/placement, size and angle of the lip.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.