Stryper Snyper

Plastic bag ban?

Rate this topic

58 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, MaxKatt said:

1. Oil has to be used to create plastic (12 million barrels annually, or roughly 10% of the oil produced.)
  2. Plastic bags do do not decompose and thus last forever.
  3. Aquatic creatures eat plastic bags thinking they are food.
  4. Plastics in the water grind into micro particles consumed by fish, and ultimately work their way back up the food chain to humans.
  5. Plastic bags are ugly in the woods.
  6. Plastic bags are ugly on the beach.

I lived in one of the first communities to ban the bag (and was indeed sued by the grocers industry)...but it really didn't take much to change habit and always have a bag in the car.  

Also discovered reusable bags of my choice are actually stronger and better than flimsy little single use plastic bags.  

You're missing the point of his post.  I'm in DE and completely understand his post.  Delaware banned plastic bags but businesses are bypassing the law by using thicker plastic bags and labeling them reusable for up to 150 uses or something like that.  Guess what, they're all getting tossed.  His point is, we're now throwing away bags that are made with 5x (whatever it really is) more plastic.  Completely counterintuitive.

@Stryper Snyper - I read on WDEL that they're working to amend the law to close the loophole.

I have no issue with going back to paper and glass. Soda was a much better experience when it was in glass. And trees.........**** em. Just plant some more. 

Why can’t we just have paper bags with handles. That used to be the standard at some stores and they worked fine. 

Which green weenies you want to listen to?

The plastic bags are bad ocean weenies, or the protree, anti paper bag forest weenies?

16 hours ago, MaxKatt said:

I lived in one of the first communities to ban the bag (and was indeed sued by the grocers industry)...but it really didn't take much to change habit and always have a bag in the car.  

Hey Max, 

I bet they let men in the ladies’ bathrooms where you live. 

Now you can throw out your MaxiPads instead of secretly flushing them down the toilet in the men’s room. 

14 hours ago, wingsandwater said:

You're missing the point of his post.  I'm in DE and completely understand his post.  Delaware banned plastic bags but businesses are bypassing the law by using thicker plastic bags and labeling them reusable for up to 150 uses or something like that.  Guess what, they're all getting tossed.  His point is, we're now throwing away bags that are made with 5x (whatever it really is) more plastic.  Completely counterintuitive.

@Stryper Snyper - I read on WDEL that they're working to amend the law to close the loophole.

I see.  I would suggest OP think ahead a little bit and bring or by proper dog duty bags.  I can't imagine using giant reusable grocery bags for the job.

I also don't like or use the plastic ones, and not due to environmental reasons.  Quality.  They're inferior.   They stretch, rip, and puncture.

I have some really good large canvas bags with heavy duty nylon straps for handles.  They can hold a ton without giving out.  If they get dirty, you can wash and dry with no problem  

57 mins ago, MaxKatt said:

I see.  I would suggest OP think ahead a little bit and bring or by proper dog duty bags.  I can't imagine using giant reusable grocery bags for the job.

I also don't like or use the plastic ones, and not due to environmental reasons.  Quality.  They're inferior.   They stretch, rip, and puncture.

I have some really good large canvas bags with heavy duty nylon straps for handles.  They can hold a ton without giving out.  If they get dirty, you can wash and dry with no problem  

Again you miss the point.  Not GIANT size either.  Same as the old ones. Also, how much coal energy,  bleach,  detergent, cotton, fertilizer, dyes, go into making your bags and cleaning them ?

35 mins ago, Stryper Snyper said:

Again you miss the point.  Not GIANT size either.  Same as the old ones. Also, how much coal energy,  bleach,  detergent, cotton, fertilizer, dyes, go into making your bags and cleaning them ?

Now you're being stupid.  Obviously, every product has to be made from something and come from somewhere.  I'm well aware of arguments like "plastic cups are better than coffee mugs because of all the water and soap you use."  bull****.  

Regarding the plastic bags...again OP owns a dog and as a responsible owner should have a plan.

16 mins ago, MaxKatt said:

Regarding the plastic bags...again OP owns a dog and as a responsible owner should have a plan.

If he used paper he could light it and put it on your doorstep.

24 mins ago, MaxKatt said:

Now you're being stupid.  Obviously, every product has to be made from something and come from somewhere.  I'm well aware of arguments like "plastic cups are better than coffee mugs because of all the water and soap you use."  bull****.  

Yup. Have multiple pups.  Have a plan too.  Repurpose the disposable plastic stuff rather than buying new plastic stuff!!!  Do you repurpose the bags in your trash can?  What about the empty mayo jar?  Wash the ziplock bags?  Rinse out your condoms?  

2 hours ago, MaxKatt said:

These are the type of bags he’s talking about. It’s like a regular plastic bag but super thick plastic. 

084CB936-5DA0-4314-8B91-8CD925659D05.jpeg

If I can't get the plastic bags then I would have to buy small trash bags.  It's still plastic in a landfill.

Posted (edited) · Report post

6 hours ago, z-man said:

These are the type of bags he’s talking about. It’s like a regular plastic bag but super thick plastic. 

084CB936-5DA0-4314-8B91-8CD925659D05.jpeg

Free and completely legal under the plastic bag ban.  Reusable for 125 times and recycleable if clean and dry.  Haha, yeah ok.

20210506_232007.jpg

Edited by wingsandwater

9 mins ago, wingsandwater said:

Free and completely legal under the plastic bag ban.  Reusable for 125 times and recycleable if clean and dry.  Haha, yeah ok.

20210506_232007.jpg

Yeah. They are usually pretty gross after the first use with whatever groceries leaked inside. Chicken juice, strawberry juice, etc.