dbjpb

maiden voyage

12 posts in this topic

Heading out back tonight for some blue fish. First trip of the year. Hope to find some gators around.

Well, I didn't find any fish yesterday afternoon in the bay either. Went to a spot hot with blues all week, dead. Launched further west where a group of boats were visible a mile or so out, nada. Marked bass, sometimes a lot, saw swirls, towed around white 5" shad, wonder bread SP and schoolbus chicken track bomber, not a bump. 

When the wind stayed above 10 I could actually sail/troll around 2.5 to 3 mph holding the rod in my hand, was really cool. Below that I had to paddle to keep at a decent trolling speed.

When I was trolling I kept picking up  sea weed.  Water was very clean. I could see down 5 feet. Very unusual fir this location. The local paper said the blues were there Sunday?

12 hours ago, computeruser said:

I have caught 4 blues today as by-catch targeting bass in Raritan bay...one was over 25"...they hit TnW without worm

bluefish will hit a hot dog if you rigged it with a hook

I met a guy in Keyport many years ago. He drilled two holes in an old spoon and attached a hook to it. He caught a good amount of blues like that,

When blues are hungry, they will eat whatever is in front of them.

I remember one time, I was reeling in my lure because I caught some sea weed, blue crushed it, no action, bait was just coming through water with a pile of see weed on it. My buddy had an old wood popper, no paint at all. Looked like a piece of wood with hooks, im throwing a nice newer top water, good colors for the water. He gets slammed on his and I am left with nothing but casting out again....

3 hours ago, dbjpb said:

I met a guy in Keyport many years ago. He drilled two holes in an old spoon and attached a hook to it. He caught a good amount of blues like that,

I did the same thing to some old butter knives that were thrown away. I put a slight bend in them. Worked great for blues.

When the blues are hungry all the expensive and stuff with treble hooks stay in the kayak.  Single hook metal is the way to go.

I put single hooks on my sp minnows. They seem to really like them.  Being a paddle kayaker tougher to fish metal trolling .