WorcBoy

Northern Flicker

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

My wife was on a zoom call last week in the back corner room. She starts to hear what sounds like a jackhammer on the house. People on the call commented. Even the dog was looking out the window with WTF look. She looked out and saw a bird fly away and it stopped. Nobody believed that a bird could cause that much  Same thing happens 2 days later to my son. I noticed a bigger bird in the gutter over the weekend. We looked it up. It was a Northern Flicker. Guess they like hammering your aluminum gutters to mark territories and attract mates. Boy I hope he finds one soon. 

Yep, we get them hammering on our gutters a lot as well.  The larger than average noise it makes is to impress the female Flickers and imply larger than other things too lol

We had one hammering on a guard rail behind my work. It had me totally mystified for awhile because the guardrail runs along the rail line. There often is rail workers out there using noisy equipment. The flicker pounding on the guardrail sounded like some kind of loud machine. But when I looked up and down the track, no trucks, no workers. I didn't see the bird at first. 

Had me totally confused. 

2 mins ago, mikez2 said:

We had one hammering on a guard rail behind my work. It had me totally mystified for awhile because the guardrail runs along the rail line. There often is rail workers out there using noisy equipment. The flicker pounding on the guardrail sounded like some kind of loud machine. But when I looked up and down the track, no trucks, no workers. I didn't see the bird at first. 

Had me totally confused. 

YUP

Lil bastard is LOUD!

Bugger goes from digging in my yard to banging on the gutter.

It's getting as annoying as the "music" coming from the closed Greendale mall parking lot Saturday nights. Go take your over sized car speakers and crap music and play it in your own neighborhood not mine....I'm turning into a cranky guy.

Put a suet cage on a tree in your yard away from house. Woodpeckers love suet. After he finds the suet he will come to your yard to eat and not bang on your house. Hopefully. 

Years back,  a had a Woodpecker that would peck on my TV antenna.  It drove me crazy.  I never knew what it was.  Until one hot day when I was outside sitting in the sun and heard the sound and looked up. There he was, sitting on the antenna sharpening his beak.  Well, Fall came and he went South.   But the next April He came back. I was having a cup of coffee one morning and heard the noise again and ran  outside and there he was.  That Woodpecker came back ever Spring for about four years.

I kind of looked forward to him returning.  But he must have passed on and then I never heard him again. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 5/5/2021 at 4:37 PM, Tailslap said:

Put a suet cage on a tree in your yard away from house. Woodpeckers love suet. After he finds the suet he will come to your yard to eat and not bang on your house. Hopefully. 

Not a bad idea. 

Edited by TimS
We don't allow buying/selling outside the BST Forums

They only hit your house when they are going through the mating ritual.

It's a signal for her to find him and for other males to scram because it's his territory.

Generally happens in the spring.

We get them annually, first time I was down the cellar and it went at the chimney cap, reverberated throughout the whole house, I was like WTF is that?!