Japaso

Good stripper / fluke reel?

20 posts in this topic

I fish out in Montauk so the bass are decently sized. The rod is a shimano trevala 7' ml. I only want to use the combo for chicken rigging 6-8 oz for fluke when the tide is strong. Here are some ideas I have: Accurate tern 300, Accurate fury 400n, Accurate BV 300, Maxel Hybrid 20. Any others you guys would recommend, preferably made in the USA? Also, I'm not a fan of Avets.

Thanks,

The high-end reels you listed may not be as self-serviceable as a Penn, Abu, or Newell.  Not sure if that is a factor for you.

3 mins ago, Mike Mendez said:

The high-end reels you listed may not be as self-serviceable as a Penn, Abu, or Newell.  Not sure if that is a factor for you.

Not a factor for me. If I can't service the reel myself I can bring it to the local tackle store or ship it to a reel service place.

I think I'm going with the tern 300. It's more affordable has lots of drag, good size. It's better than the fury and the valiant is too expensive. I don't think the maxel hybrid would be very good for the deeper water in Montauk. Let me know what you guys think, I'm still considering.

On 5/5/2021 at 7:49 AM, Japaso said:

I fish out in Montauk so the bass are decently sized. The rod is a shimano trevala 7' ml. I only want to use the combo for chicken rigging 6-8 oz for fluke when the tide is strong. Here are some ideas I have: Accurate tern 300, Accurate fury 400n, Accurate BV 300, Maxel Hybrid 20. Any others you guys would recommend, preferably made in the USA? Also, I'm not a fan of Avets.

Thanks,

The PENN Torque TRQ15LD2, TRQ15XNLD2, and TRQ25NLD2 models all fit in the size range you describe. Very well-made reels, and are made in USA.

9 hours ago, Tunanorth said:

The PENN Torque TRQ15LD2, TRQ15XNLD2, and TRQ25NLD2 models all fit in the size range you describe. Very well-made reels, and are made in USA.

Thanks, I'll look into them.

Jigmaster.  Made in USA model.  Cheap and easy to find, fix, and will last about 2 years longer than a rock with minimal care.  

I got the accurate tern 300. I haven't used it yet but I love it. Nice weight great looks small size, lots of line, lots of drag. Probably the nicest star drag reel I've seen.

2 hours ago, SB59 said:

I don't know what reel you would use for strippers but a 10 spot is an excellent lure.

Gotta link?

If he did, the house software would block it. He's right that a $10 will do far more for strippers than any fishing reel.

29 mins ago, BrianBM said:

If he did, the house software would block it. He's right that a $10 will do far more for strippers than any fishing reel.

Lol I thought their was a lure called 10 spot.

On 5/15/2021 at 6:43 PM, slicedcornbread said:

You don't need high end reels for Stripers or Fluke. Penn Fathom 15 would do the trick just fine.

Yeah, true enough. 

But I came here thinking these would be talk about strippers using fluke gear, not stripers. The title is a little misleading.  

3 mins ago, flyangler said:

Yeah, true enough. 

But I came here thinking these would be talk about strippers using fluke gear, not stripers. The title is a little misleading.  

Lol, I'm an idiot.