Ron Skinner

SICK OF IT

Rate this topic

78 posts in this topic

I keep the TIP line on my cell as well.  The handful of times I’ve used it, I have yet to see any enforcement show up. :(

Not only are these idiots destroying the resource, but by leaving their mess behind, they’re going to end up losing shorerebound anglers what little access we already have.  It’s happened at a once popular wall in Stratford and it’s happening all over the place in neighboring RI.  

21 mins ago, z-man said:

Did you get the boat registration number? 

Wish I could have. was around midnight and even with both of us flashing lights they were just moving too quick 

3 hours ago, GrahamN said:

All politics aside, people obviously poaching, and trashing spots, no matter what race, color, or anything else aside is always terrible to see and understandably frustrating,

It can be difficult to not lump everyone into one big group at times, especially when you see it on a daily basis and don't ever see anything done about it 

DEEP and other organizations in neighboring states are generally useless when it comes to enforcement in the marine district due to several things 

1. Busy with something else at the time ( keep in mind these same people have to not only keep an eye on saltwater fishing, but also hunting, trapping, freshwater fishing, and respond to nuscence and injured animal calls)

2. Far away (there aren't nearly enough of them hired to cover the entire state every minuite of every day it's just not possible with the number of people they've got hired, to enforce everything everywhere 

Chances are if you call dispatch and there's one of them not already doing something, they're a fair ways away

3. It's a shame that this has to be said, but we now live in a time and place where law enforcement of any kind needs to be cautious who they're checking + dealing with, because it's plenty easy for anyone to yell "discrimination, racism" and cause a stink and get someone in trouble at their work, or simply just cause a hassle for them 

I've spoken to some of the kids who do the creel surveys and had them tell me that they don't/hate to check certain demographics because they're always given a hard time

I'm in no way trying to justify the lack of enforcement in the marine district, but I do understand why it doesn't happen more than it does 

And it is an absolute shame that the DEEP and other state organizations aren't able to/don't enforce it more 

That being said, the past year and half, I've run into the feds a solid handful of times which is very refreshing to see 

All of my interactions but one have been with the same individual and they've been nothing but professional and well done,

They're checking spots, licenses, coolers, everything that should be done 

I would highly recommend trying to find a number to call for the feds, because they can and will enforce the law to its fullest extent (if they're around)

And by all means, if you can get one of theirs personal work numbers, so you don't have to call through a dispatch to get ahold of them you should 

That being said they've got the same problems that state enforcement does, with being spread thin

But when they're around they're great 

What federal agency is checking spots, licenses and coolers? 

2 mins ago, mikeadams said:

What federal agency is checking spots, licenses and coolers? 

The folks I ran into last year ( haven't seen this this year yet) were from the us fish and wildlife if I recall correctly 

Didn't see them in ct  but I ran into them in rhode island several times 

The one I ran into several times told me he was covering CT, RI, and MA for the time being 

He also took the time to double check my safety gear In my kayak

5 mins ago, GrahamN said:

The folks I ran into last year ( haven't seen this this year yet) were from the us fish and wildlife if I recall correctly 

Didn't see them in ct  but I ran into them in rhode island several times 

The one I ran into several times told me he was covering CT, RI, and MA for the time being 

He also took the time to double check my safety gear In my kayak

Wish there was more of these guys around. I have even took a shot with local police departments after striking out with DEEP only to be told by dispatchers that it didn't fall under their responsibilities 

1 hour ago, Water Dog said:

I keep the TIP line on my cell as well.  The handful of times I’ve used it, I have yet to see any enforcement show up. :(

Not only are these idiots destroying the resource, but by leaving their mess behind, they’re going to end up losing shorerebound anglers what little access we already have.  It’s happened at a once popular wall in Stratford and it’s happening all over the place in neighboring RI.  

It’s a real shame.  

Heres the sea wall ban thread.

7 hours ago, Ron Skinner said:

Its definitely how it works. I do remember, as you have to prove at minimum a general understanding of the English language to pass a citizenship test

FWIW....  there is no requirement to “have to prove at a minimum a general understanding of the English language” when it comes to being a LEGAL permanent resident.

Just a clarification... carry on.

11 hours ago, Ron Skinner said:

Its definitely how it works. I do remember, as you have to prove at minimum a general understanding of the English language to pass a citizenship test

What does this thread have anything to do with citizenship?

Instead of illegals can we call them possibly legal Hispanic/American fisherman with no regard for regulations or the environment? Or still too offensive 

6 hours ago, t_man7 said:

What does this thread have anything to do with citizenship?

In the opening post when I referred to "the illegals"  

illegal immigrant
n. an alien (non-citizen) who has entered the United States without government permission or stayed beyond the termination date of a visa. (See: alien)

FWIW - there is no race designation when referring to illegal immigrants unless you specifically attach one

11 mins ago, Ron Skinner said:

In the opening post when I referred to "the illegals"  

illegal immigrant
n. an alien (non-citizen) who has entered the United States without government permission or stayed beyond the termination date of a visa. (See: alien)

FWIW - there is no race designation when referring to illegal immigrants unless you specifically attach one

21 hours ago, Paul E said:

Super power?  You can identify legal citizens by sight?  Pretty amazing as no-one else has that power. 
In my opinion, you are the scum but that’s  just based on reading your comments. That’s my super power. 

The way that you are doubling down, I guess you really do have the super power that Paul mentioned.  

:idea:    I’d bet ICE could really use someone with your powers. 

5 mins ago, MattituckMike said:

The way that you are doubling down, I guess you really do have the super power that Paul mentioned.  

:idea:    I’d bet ICE could really use someone with your powers. 

wouldn't really consider that doubling down, as it was stated in the opening post. That's more of just answering a simple question that was asked.

I've seen it for years, regardless of race, language or otherwise. 

MY issue is I see the same people doing it at the same spots for over 2 yrs and nothing gets done or its such a small penalty that there is no reason for these people to stop poaching, the State and the DEEP give us "Tip Lines" to call and what not but then they don't react when we use those numbers. 

I've seen every "race" poach at one time or another, whether its salt or fresh water fishing, it happens, a lot more often than it should. 

19 mins ago, ijuanaspearfish said:

I've seen it for years, regardless of race, language or otherwise. 

MY issue is I see the same people doing it at the same spots for over 2 yrs and nothing gets done or its such a small penalty that there is no reason for these people to stop poaching, the State and the DEEP give us "Tip Lines" to call and what not but then they don't react when we use those numbers. 

I've seen every "race" poach at one time or another, whether its salt or fresh water fishing, it happens, a lot more often than it should. 

I for one am feeling much better about the future of our fishery after starting this thread.  With incredibly fearless members of the community like Paul E and Mike fighting for the conservation of striped bass they can lead us though these dark times